mig+plasma buyer question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
as some of you may know.
i will be going to school to learn to weld.
and i will be able to purchase equipment soon.
i am leaning towards a mig that is powerful enough to for instance build frames.
i also want a plasma cutter.
in my city there are tons of pawnshops with welding equipment.
and i have seen plasma/mig combination boxes.
but i am wary of buying something that is like a cheap swiss army knife
supposedly does everything
but doesnt do anything well.
do you guys have any input for me?
the reason i am thinking pawnshops is theres a lot of miller/hobart/lincoln etc.
for thousands less than new.
thank you for your time.

We have both a Miller, and a Lincoln welder in the shop. We have Hypertherm plasma cutters. I belong to 2 different plasma cutting forums and Hypertherm is pretty much the most popular.

With welders and plasma cutters buy the biggest one you will need to start with. If you are going to be doing frames, I would recommend a 250 amp mig and a 80 amp plasma. Probably a little bit of overkill, but you will never run into anything you can't handle.

On the mig make sure you can get a spool gun for it. With a spool gun you can then do aluminum if needed.

We buy everything welding related, except gas, from these folks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Mill...71116733996?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item3f1fd10e2c

I buy my stuff from Praxair, they will beat pricing you find elsewhere most times.

I have had millers, and love the autoset180 I just picked up, although I have not used the plasma cutter we have at work, it is an autotherm as well.

On the mig welder, don't buy an older one as you are limited on the spool guns available for that machine. Make sure on a Miller, it has a 14 pin plug so a 15a or a 30a spool gun will work with it.

This is what I think is the best buy on migs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370705588162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

On the plasma, I have a Hypertherm 600 which is a 1/2" machine, it does 98% of what I do and would of liked the 1000 machine for the other 2% 3/4" to 1" just couldn't justify the price difference.
Esab makes a great machine too.

I have a millermatic 185 welder. Good machine and is easily transported witch is a big deal for me. I think it rated for 5/16" but I've did plenty of heavier stuff with it. Just have to let it cool down sometimes.

I like the pretty blue ones!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

I got the Miller that's both 110 & 220. U're able to step down to 110 for sheet metal & back up to 220 for heavier stuff like frames etc. Same goes for my Miller plasma although I do miss being able to heat metal up with a oxy/acy torch. Also glasses & an instant-on helmet's made a great improvement on my capabilities! :eek:[ddd:D

BoB

I don't like the combo idea. Sorta like the TV/VCR combos from a few years back, one would quit and the other would be left working, but you had to take both to the shop and be left with nothing...

I don't like the combo idea. Sorta like the TV/VCR combos from a few years back, one would quit and the other would be left working, but you had to take both to the shop and be left with nothing...

Disagree. 100%.

My multi process welder is the bee's knees. Granted, it's not a mig/plasma combo, but rather a mig/tig/stick machine. All three work flawlessly.

For the price I paid for the machine vs buying three separate machines...not to mention the amount of shop space I'd lose, this machine takes the cake.

The technology of today's multi process machines is far superior to those of a few years back. But like anything new, it takes a few years to work out the bugs.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the fact that you need a REALLY GOOD air dryer for the plasma cutter. Be sure to keep that in mind too. Clean air = [;) Dirty, oily and watered air = :(

I think the combo welders are one thing, but the combo welder/plasma are a different animal altogether..

I run a Miller 250X..great machine,trouble free so far after 13 years ..

and a little hobart 400 plasma..it cuts 1/4" pretty well, but kinda slow..works good on 11 gauge though.. would like to have a bigger badder one, but this fit the budget at the time..

also have a hobart portable with a built in 10K watt generator and an old lincoln arc, but those don't get used much..

friend of mine bought a cheap chinese mig, that thing has been junk since the day he took it out of the box..I don't think you can go wrong with quality used tools..

mine
Esab multi task 280: Mig,Tig,stick
Hypertherm plasma cuter (had a miller burnt up circuit board wont by another)
lincoln ac\dc stick (old school)
and my back ups snapon mig and a lincoln cutting torch

bought the Esab used and best machine I ever used

I'm probably a little late on this one but:

I just got a Miller Autoset 211 MIG. to replace the Lincoln SP175 that I had for years and never liked. The Autoset is 110 or 220 and is a sweet welder on thin sheet and 1/4" and everything in between.

I also have a Lincoln 255 Mig. It took me a long time to make friends with it, but it penetrates well and lays down pretty beads. The gun is huge and is hard to get in the tight places I find in automotive stuff.

The Lincoln Procut 80 I have works well, but I would not buy it again. It eats consumables like crazy. Friends who have Hypertherms and Millers spend a lot less on consumables.

I Personally prefer Miller welders at the moment, with Lincoln being number 2. I would stick with those when you're looking for a welder.

Latest posts

Back