50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no progress tonight, but snapped a couple pics

pics I promised

Attachments

• DSC04062.jpg
    DSC04062.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC04063.jpg
    DSC04063.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC04061.jpg
    DSC04061.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 117
The tires in the picture, are they the ones/size you are using on the build? I'm looking at similar tires for my 49. I have some 14 inch littles for the front.

gold03

By the way, the roof is amazing. good work. Hope I can get mine to look like that.

The tires in the picture, are they the ones/size you are using on the build? I'm looking at similar tires for my 49. I have some 14 inch littles for the front.

gold03

By the way, the roof is amazing. good work. Hope I can get mine to look like that.

Yea those are the ones I plan on using, eventually I want to add hub caps to them, and paint the barrel of the rim. are 14s going to clear your brakes? Not sure what brakes you are running, but I thought I would ask :)

Not much progress, had to sort out an issue with one of the cars tonight, but I moved the poncho rear behind the cab, and started sectioning the decklid, I'm going 8" narrower, I have to plan how much to shorten the rear (in front of the wheel wells) to make it all proportional, as it is obviously too long to keep it all looking right.

On to a couple pics.

Attachments

• DSC04064.jpg
    DSC04064.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC04065.jpg
    DSC04065.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 131
How are you doing your front axle? I went back and looked, but don't see that you posted anything on that yet.

Gold03

Little more progress, front axle & brake mock up

I got pretty sick from a meal at Taco Loco for Cinco de Mayo saturday, was sick all sunday and most of today, finally around 5pm I felt good enough to mock up the front axle with the steering link, and brakes. I still have to pick up some lock-tite as the bearing adapters are not as snug as I would like on the spindle. So I still have to pull it apart, lock-tite the adapter, put in the bearing seal, and pack the bearings...

Only trouble I have found beside extremely sharp edges on the caliper bracket was that the spindle nuts they sent were not the right thread, but the stock ones will do just fine.

The standard wheel studs that come on these rotors are really short, so those were pounded out, and longer ones put in tonight as well.

Attachments

• DSC04088.jpg
    DSC04088.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04089.jpg
    DSC04089.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC04090.jpg
    DSC04090.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC04091.jpg
    DSC04091.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 81
Cleaned, primed and loc-tite on the bearing adapters, 24hr full setup time, gives me time to to take the knife edges off the caliper brackets, blast, and paint them.

Rotors, and dust caps are primed, and will be painted later tonight with some semi-gloss black.
Picked up some new Zirc fittings as well for the axle and greased up the king pins more than just the assembly grease...
Thats about it for now... Hoping tomorrow to start cutting the poncho rear in half, and really start measuring up how much to remove in front of the wheel wells, and maybe work on some ride heights as well... but I need more 2x4s to build some stands...

vision is coming together

I spent some time, and narrowed the poncho 8".

Also started sorting out ride height, I sorted out that about 7-8" is about as low as I would want to go for the lowest points on the body, and I can probably tweak that height a little as I build the frame. I think a lot of you guys have lower ride heights than that, but this is going to be a driver, so its a good place to start I think. [S Thoughts?

So now I've blocked up the cab, and I have the poncho rear hanging from the rafters in the garage! I'm going to relocate the front of the arrow so that when I cut 10" into the body for the tire clearance, I don't take out the front of the arrow body line. So the arrow body line will still be there, just quite a bit shorter by cutting an area out 6" tall and just moving it back. This also will fix the area where the fuel filler door used to be, I believe there is quite a bit of filler in there from the previous "body man" and I use that term loosly for sure...:rolleyes:

The body will be lowered from the shown position about 7", and kept raked slightly.
The front will also be shortened, but I have to determine how much once the tire reliefs are cut. [;)

Anyhow, on to the pics,

Attachments

• DSC04096.jpg
    DSC04096.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04093.jpg
    DSC04093.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC04094.jpg
    DSC04094.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04097.jpg
    DSC04097.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04092.jpg
    DSC04092.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC04095.jpg
    DSC04095.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC04098.jpg
    DSC04098.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04099.jpg
    DSC04099.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 95
That is very cool!![cl

I like it a lot. What are you going to do with the area where the back seat was? Fill it or build a box? Rumble seat?

Are you leaving the front of the Poncho sectioned where it is now?

Keep going.

gold03

Thanks!
I think I understand what you are asking. That area I will be shortening to move the rear axle closer to the back of the cab than it is now, but the old rear seat area will hopefully house the propane tank.

If the tank doesnt protrude above the body line, I might fab up a tonneau cover or something...

Had an idea for you about the spear. Any way of moving the front part of the spear ahead of the wheel (say like a 6" piece of the front), then have the wheel opening come up and interupt the spear, and have it continue behind to the tail lamp housing? Clear as mud?[S[;):D

Had an idea for you about the spear. Any way of moving the front part of the spear ahead of the wheel (say like a 6" piece of the front), then have the wheel opening come up and interupt the spear, and have it continue behind to the tail lamp housing? Clear as mud?[S[;):D

I will have to think about that, I had not really thought of moving it that far forward.

I was kinda thinking of going somewhere between where it is now, and how they did the 4 door wagon which was really short...

I like this site, people come up with ideas I had not thought about... I'll be looking into it today =)

I like 455's idea. The arrow is a pretty deep detail that might be tough to transition through the wheel opening. You would have yo shallow out the detail, or incorporte the shape into the wheel opening some how.

You are going to run propane. I like propane as a auto fuel. Are you from Canada? I thought the use of auto propane was pretty limited to western Canada. Although the use of a fork lift removeabe tank would solve availability issues.

Gold03

I like 455's idea. The arrow is a pretty deep detail that might be tough to transition through the wheel opening. You would have yo shallow out the detail, or incorporte the shape into the wheel opening some how.

You are going to run propane. I like propane as a auto fuel. Are you from Canada? I thought the use of auto propane was pretty limited to western Canada. Although the use of a fork lift removeabe tank would solve availability issues.

Gold03

I'm from Michigan, and by propane I mean liquid propane injection, not vapor like most propane vehicles. Most of the propane vehicles here are fleet vehicles, but they are doing more and more liquid injection conversions here too.

I took some measurements, and the remaining area of the arrow was just too short to really be appealing to the eye after cutting it only at the wheel opening.
I decided after looking it over for a bit to go with about a 25" arrow.

Also made up a template for the wheel well opening, body will be dropped 7" from its current position and raked a bit too.

Attachments

• DSC04100.jpg
    DSC04100.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC04101.jpg
    DSC04101.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC04102.jpg
    DSC04102.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC04103.jpg
    DSC04103.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 102
Thats interesting on the propane injection. I'm not familiar with that set up. I used vapour on a vehicle in the past and really liked it. Very clean burning. No carbon build up at all in the engine.

I like what you did with the Poncho. nice work.

gold03

I think it looks good where you have it now that I see it. (visual learner!) My idea might have worked if the wheel opening was closer to the back. I didn't realize how long it was behind the wheel when I was thinking of it. Carry on![P

Latest posts

Back