Cheap alternative to Dynamat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebstew

someone said I should post this up here for the ones that have not heard of it.

Peel & Seal is the cheap alternative to Dynamat. This is the stuff you get from Lowes Hardware. It is the same as the original Dynamat but a lot cheaper.
I started putting my fake Dynamat down. This is the stuff that they have been talking about on HAMB and a few other forums. I paid less than $15.00 for a 6in. X 24ft. roll. It's very, very close to Dynamat other than the price. It has a 40 mil rubberized aspalt sticky back, two layers of high stregth polymer film over a reflective aluminum surface.
Picture1143.jpg

I was worried a little about how good it would stick. I pre cut what I needed then I used a heat gun on the backing. Let me tell you!! When you stick it on you can't get it off. Even if it just bearley touches it. Make sure you have it all lined up before you touch anything with the backing.You can use a wall paper wheel to smooth it out. I didn't have one so I used an unopen pop can. As you can see from the bead rolls in the floor it takes the shape of where up put it. Cool thing is this stuff is used for flashing and as a roof patch. Any small holes you may have this will seal them and not let the water in. They do sell a better version of the Dynamat. It is the sound and heat Dynamat. It is almost twice as thick as the original. No problem. For the price difference put a second layer over this one. Even with the floor half done I can tell a difference in how it sounded when I close the truck door.
this may help you if you go looking for it..
Picture-1.jpg

If you can't find it at your local hardware here's a link where you can order it. http://www.abccatalog.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=2579952

Last edited:
Thank you for this info. I'll be going to Lowes when I get to that stage. I used to use a similar product that is used in the marine industry to insulate engine rooms on boats. It is foam rubber with the same sort of aluminum foil topsides, but had a mylar inner wall sandwiched in between the two layers of foam. Problem is, it was expensive and heavy, plus you had to spray contact cement on first.

This looks much better. Thanks again.

Don

There is a brush on product,called Lizard Skin (or something like that)
Supposed to be good.

Also expensive.

Someone did some research,on the MSDS.
It's just paint and Micro Balloons.

Any decent Fiberglas supplier will have Micro Balloons.
They are just like the name suggests,small hollow ceramic spheres.
Looks like powder,doesn't weight much.

I've got some Micro Balloons,planning to do a test.
Just need to figure out the proportions.

Thanks for the product tip. Nice to have all the highend amenities without spending tons of money. I will be giving it a try.

WOW...

Thanks for that tip. I have been wanting to put something like this in my truck for a few months now. I don't like a lot of road noise or rattles while out and about.

Much thanks for the tip.

you are welcome guys. I have a few more ideas about how I'm going to keep the heat and sounds out of my cab, roof area and such. I will post them up in my build log as I get to them.

Got a Question for ya,
Is the name of this product "Peel-n-seal" or is that a basic term.

Just want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Peel & Seal...

That's the name all right... I walked into Lowe's and thought I could find it myself, but couldn't. I asked the roofing guy at the store (once I found him--but that's another story!) if they had a product called "Peel & Seal" and he said "Yep!" and took me right to it! 6" X 25' $14 and change plus tax...

Thanks for the tip!

Rockettruck...

Last edited:
yeap it's PEEL AND SEAL at Lowes. I dropped in at another home depot the other day. they have another brand that is like the peel & seal but it's called something else. it's in a yellow rapper. the peel & seal was like $15.00 and the stuff at Home Depot was $12.00. I should have saved the label to take a pic but I didn't think about it at the time. it worked and stuck just like the Lowes stuff but was cheaper. just make sure to use a heat gun to get it good and hot before you stick either one.

OK
Thanks for all the info guys.
I went Monday and bought a can of herculiner from the local O'rileys, got home and didn't have a roller....So I just used a brush to put it on. Did the whole back wall in the truck and some of the seat pan area. (it already sounds less hollow) I plan to get another can and finish the floor pan and all the way up the firewall. After that, Peel-n-seal almost the same area.

I just used the HD brand in my rod. Works great. I'm going to paint it all black whenI'm done though...too shiney for my blood. One thought though, make sure you don't need to remove it though cause it's gonna be a pain to remove.

First post on here, was just gonna lurk awhile, but can't resist this thread. Thanks Rebstew for the post, I spent a small fortune on Dynamat my last build. Not saying it wasen't worth it, I guess Im getting old and enjoy listening to some tunes rather than a loud roar while cruzing, don't get me wrong there's nothing better than a good exhaust note but good sound deadner is alright too. Im goin try this on the truck. :cool:

I did "peel and stick" too

Earlier in the week did the POR 15. I put the "peel and seal" down and did my finish treatment for my floor.
Here a couple shots of todays progress.

at the start of the day today:
Bugfloors003-1.jpg

Bugfloors005.jpg

Bugfloors006.jpg

Happy day!

:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back