96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys....

amazing how much you can get done when people leave you alone....also not having the dept nextel me helped also...I am on call 24/7 :eek:.....

Actually not having as many issues as i thought I would....time to work on it is the only issue I have really.....:D

I'd like to post something....but

What I see here is good stuff! Keep on treading

It's been really boring....filler....sand....filler sand....not much to really report....,made a template from my kids 93 GMC roof to get the contour correct....(I know..why??) (darn bifocals) eyeballing it looked different from every angle... also have to fill and sand the gas door, pillars and such....

on a side note....did get some 1962 olds 88 headlamp housings and buckets trying to figure out how to redo the grill area to incorporate them...maybe on an angle like a 59 buick...make it look angry??? Panthom grill....even tought about rebar...too heavy....just don't want it to look like a billet grill..lol..Have to go out of town on Friday and Sat....back for New years celebration Sat night....maybe Sunday (New Years day)....after church.....:D I'd love to have some pics to post....but alas...

OK....at least a few pics of the filler/ finish progress...

Not much but something.... minor left on roof....then have to fill in back window in prep for cutting out and installing the smaller 65 chevy back glass and channel...

Attachments

• B pillar finished.jpg
    B pillar finished.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Bed face finished ready for paint.jpg
    Bed face finished ready for paint.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Gas door finished and in skim coat.jpg
    Gas door finished and in skim coat.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 79
Not much time but trying to get body work done...

got the door handles smoothed out...between honey do's...hope to get the bed and doors hung this week before work...then fit the door frames to the cab....more to come as I move s l o w l y f o r w a r d....:(

Attachments

• Shaving doors 1.jpg
    Shaving doors 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Shaving doors 2.jpg
    Shaving doors 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Snake Farm.....

Just seems like I never get more than a couple of straight hours to do anything....but..I don't let it bother me as much as it used to...:D

Just caught wind of this build! I'll be watching for sure.
I've always loved the newer model builds. I've often wondered to myself, what will MY kids be chopping up, then I look at my truck 03 dodge ram, and think, MAN I would hate to have to weld all this back together on a chop!

Your going to have to get a couple more overall pictures so we can see the whole thing this far.
Keep it up, looking good so far!

P.s. are you going to paint it? With as much body work as your putting into it, you must be.
If not, you shoulda gone with the brown primer :)

Yes on the paint but different.....

Just caught wind of this build! I'll be watching for sure.
I've always loved the newer model builds. I've often wondered to myself, what will MY kids be chopping up, then I look at my truck 03 dodge ram, and think, MAN I would hate to have to weld all this back together on a chop!

Your going to have to get a couple more overall pictures so we can see the whole thing this far.
Keep it up, looking good so far!

P.s. are you going to paint it? With as much body work as your putting into it, you must be.
If not, you shoulda gone with the brown primer :)

going to stay with the dark hunter green but in a flat or maybe satin, then from the upper body line up will be flat black.... what would you like to see? the truck started life as a basic V6 / 4spd auto work truck...I pulled the motor and trans, put in a 383 chev motor I had built, and a beefed up 400 trans...liked the truck's power....didn't like the looks so I decided to do something radical....My build starts a bit funny as I did the tunneling on the taillights first, then decided to chop it, then do an axle flip and c notch the frame, (after much encouragement from the RRR) then bucketed the lower control arms, so the front is down 4 to 41/2" and the back is down over 6"....the cab I chopped 4" all around but didn't like it..wanted more of a rake to the roof line so I took another inch from the front which gave me the rake I wanted... I've tried to do everything "old school" without the use of any kits or such..no drop spindles etc..... like we used to do when I was a kid....(which I aint no more..lol) so what would you like to see that isn't in the build thread? Is it really a rat rod....probably not, but it will be unusual and that is the point...something different...

I hear you Sgt. I've been trying to be different my whole life! I like the idea of doing a dark green. That's what I had planned for my International, but the green im going with is gonna be a metalic and then I'm gonna come back over that with a flat clear. Anyways I like the direction your going with the truck. It will definitely be a one of a kind and I'm glad we all get to witness it.

Appreciate the thoughts outlaw...

I hear you Sgt. I've been trying to be different my whole life! I like the idea of doing a dark green. That's what I had planned for my International, but the green im going with is gonna be a metalic and then I'm gonna come back over that with a flat clear. Anyways I like the direction your going with the truck. It will definitely be a one of a kind and I'm glad we all get to witness it.

I know it's not the norm.....but that's why I'm doing it....I'm still looking to do a "traditional" (if there is such a thing) rat but just haven't found the right starting point...yet....It's on the "bucket list"...so to speak.....lol

How about a few pictures from as far away as you can manage? Especially a few from the front (with the hood down!)

Well the hood is off right now.....

How about a few pictures from as far away as you can manage? Especially a few from the front (with the hood down!)

laying out where to put the louvers......the grill is out also as I'm trying to decide what to do with that when I put in those side by side round headlamps out of a 62 olds 88....but I'll check my pics and see what I can find.....

Ok.....best I can do for now....took these today...

Disregard the mess in the barn....also, one shot of the headlamp buckets that I put in...cut the housing into two, wanted one in same spot as the old retangular headlamp, ...wanted the other one low and set inboard...got the effect I wanted...should look somewhat angry.....just have the right side done right now.......now have to figure out the grill situation[S (ideas accepted)...and what to do with that huge chrome thing they call a bumper (ideas accepted).....roof is nearly ready for me to hang the doors and get the door frames fit to the roof....then close up that back window in prep for the 65 chevy back glass and rubber channel and the 40 ford taillights...not sure about them yet....[S... not sure if it will be too much....might be way to busy back there.....maybe if I blacked out the bezels so they didn't show so much?(ideas accepted)....oh well, not much to report but something done...

Attachments

• Side view in progress.jpg
    Side view in progress.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Side view in progress 3.jpg
    Side view in progress 3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Headlamp bucket 1.jpg
    Headlamp bucket 1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 162
By the way......

the height of the truck is now down to 59" from ground level to the top of roof at it's highest point...so it should sit right when done...guess we'll have to see...[P

Years back when I was working in the auto body stuff, i hated the colors mallard green and desert beige. I painted many many with that color and I got to hate em. back in the 60's and early 70's all Ford trucks seemed to be mallard green. heeheh

Latest posts

Back