I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, going to give it a try using more patience and cutting fluid!

Great idea by the way to add the radius for the intake tubes.

IntakeMods007.jpg

Finished the intake/exhaust today. I filled the "V" at the bottom of the plenum with epoxy to prevent fuel pooling and give the mixture a better path into the ports. In order to increase the plemum volume to one half the engine displacement, I made spacer rails out of aluminum bar stock. They move the top plate up a half inch.

Those headers look great, Bob, and should really help HP. Bet you can't wait to hear this baby fire up. :D

I've watched your build from the beginning and love the approach you took and the inventiveness you displayed. In fact, I liked it so much it has me thinking about building an Austin Bantam drag altered like I had in the 60's. I want the rear solid mounted to the frame, and have a 355 sbc and a bunch of speed parts I scored on the Camaro drag car I bought.

The one thing that was holding me back was a rear end assembly and the other day I scored a narrowed 9 incher and Chassis Engineering 31 spline axles on Craigslist. I figure I will use a full spool and some 4:88 gears with disc brakes on the back only, controlled by a hand brake. Since I have most of the expensive stuff already I could do it on the cheap.

You are a bad influence, Bob ! :p

Don

Here is the rear end I got.

mynarrowed9inch002.jpg

Collectors001.jpg

Added extensions to the collectors for a total length of 18". Everything on the intake/exhaust is done except for rebuilding the Carter BBD 2 barrel carbs.

Don, I remember when you got the Camaro. Lots of good HiPo parts there. You and the boys build super chassis so building an Altered should be no problem. Get a rule book and full speed ahead! It's funny, I decided to drag the Fiat body out of the woods and build it again after I found a narrowed rear end with Moser axles for cheap at a swap meet. The rear end seems to be the key component in jump starting a drag car project. I'd like to find one narrow enough for a late 50's style slingshot...I wonder how two 292 Chevy 6's side by side would work?:D

You're right, Bob, the rear end seems to be key to getting an altered started. It is also a major expense, by the time you factor in the axles, center section, wheels, slicks, and brake setup.

I'm in no hurry on this one so I will just keep gathering parts. :)

Don

We're in So Ft Myers . I don't like to be more specific than that as my Sons have made me promise to not mention the address or bring friends there due to all of the thefts that have been going on in this hobby. Hope you understand.:)

Don

Last edited:
Hi . I understand . The people around here think we're nuts and won't come on the propety . Code enforcement won't even without a cop . Might meet up at a local car show someday .

HambinBlack005.jpg

After 3 years, today I discovered my camera has a Black & White setting. Thought I'd take a pic of the disassembly process and maybe it would look like it was happening in the mid-50's.

DiggerSeat007.jpg

Got the seat back from the upholsterer (Jenny) today. It is covered in Carhart work clothes material. I think it looks pretty period correct considering I started with a high back Kirkey race seat.

Last edited:
SlantIntake009.jpg

When I get stuck or tired of working on the Fiat project I throw a few parts on the dragster. Waiting for parts so I can recurve the distributor. Then, the carbs will get rebuilt. No more modifications are happening, it's just reassembly from here on out.

Put a full manual Transgo shift kit in the 904 Torqueflite. Lots of steps but the instructions were very good. Also got a higher stall converter. The converter that would work the best was almost a thousand bucks so I settled for a lower stall for a few hundred dollars. My friend's computer program revealed that the money would be much better spent on slicks. And, since I'll probably never race another dragster if this type, it will probably get narrow, old school slicks later in the race season, money permitting.

FiatSparkplug009.jpg

Carbs are rebuilt, gas lines and throttle linkage completed. Problem is, I don't have 4 identical metering rods. So I'm going to have to put two different sizes in each carb. The carbs will be the same however.

There's only a few more tasks on the dragster, then add fluids and fire 'er up.

More fun

Another one of your great rides near the second completion. Hurry we want to know how it runs. Great build and I bet it will be even greater fun to run. Keep up the good work so we can follow. Steve

I have blueprints and instruction manual

Send me a message and I will send plans to you via email. I have plans for an early 60's front engine dragster, would be a great build.
Thanks
Scotty

FiatSparkplug009.jpg

Carbs are rebuilt, gas lines and throttle linkage completed. Problem is, I don't have 4 identical metering rods. So I'm going to have to put two different sizes in each carb. The carbs will be the same however.

There's only a few more tasks on the dragster, then add fluids and fire 'er up.

like this very much, almost has me motivated into reviving my old 57 chev drag car. Almost! still recovering from 2 yr 4 mnth UE adventure.

those carbs would be more effective turned around 180 degrees, going backwards now. gas will move to the back of float bowl on acceleration, away from jets and power valve intake. not the best for acceleration.

BETTER yet, replace them with 3 - Holley/weber 5200 series 2 bbls from 71-74 Pinto 2.3, they were built by Holley with permission from Weber, they are very tunable. a freind had one on a Pinto 4cyl. circle track car and it screamed. they have progressive secondary opening, so are very throttle responsive.

Tuning parts are available from weber, you can make air fuel adjustments from idle to the extreme top end. they have the normal idle mix screw, but also have changeable air bleeds, changeable emulsion tubes to fine tune mid range and top end jetting, to go along with the regular jets we all know and love. just make sure all are the exact same P/N and year.

SquiirrelNest001_zpsfa950499.jpg

Went to Test and Tune today. After the first horrible run I found a squirrel nest in the scoop and lots of hay and feathers in the carbs. I cleaned all that crap out but it still ran poorly. So I loaded it up and spent the day visiting and watching other people run.

Kamakazee squirls.....:

Well I guess that puts a whole new meaning to "Test and Tune"..:eek:....how the heck did they get in there??? I mean I know how...but was the garage open to the elements??? That really does suck....:( Did it do any internal engine damage?

Sgt., the car sat on the trailer outside for a month. Kept postponing going to the strip. It was under a car cover, but I didn't think about critters climbing up under it. Shoulda stuffed a towel in the scoop to prevent the problem. I doubt anything is hurt internally.

I'm at a crossroads with the dragster. As I have the Crosley available to race too. I realize it is foolish and expensive to try to support and run two cars. This summer each car was out only once. Fine drag racer I am. Fact is, I'd rather be in the garage building stuff than at any event be it drag racing or a cruise/show. That's why I end up with so many cars.

Latest posts

Back