Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it unloaded, took less time than I though it would so I decided to separate the two halves. The subframe was twisted in a couple of spots so it was real easy to cut and gave me the ability to keep the lower sections intact. Going to have to make a panel for the lower section of the quarters before I can remove the rest of the subframe. As of right now I'm thinking I'll buy the patch panels for the wheel wells and make the forward rocker patches. It's a bit rougher on the bottom than I originally noticed. I think mostly I was so excited to find coupe quarters that I overlooked how rough it was. Another question for you guys; do you think I should keep all the bullet holes, or fill them in? I think the misses is leaning towards paint but she hasn't come out and said it straight forward. Anyway, here are a few pictures.

Like I had said, it's really rough but for $100 I can't complain. I did an internet search and looks like I can get the wheel wells and patch panels for around $100 so looks like we'll be going that route. Still super excited about this build because I don't have any wood to have to work around.

Endicott, you invited us to spout our opinions, so I'll spout. You have to fix the bullet holes. I know that's a lot of work, but you have to do it. Guys who shoot cars don't have a lot of brain power so they have to destroy stuff, because that's much easier and faster than creating things like we do. You don't want to go around advertising that you are proud of some brain-dead yahoo's destructive prowess.
I will be watching this build closely and maybe asking questions, because I have a similar dream in my future. Mine is a '29-'30 Desoto and a '30 Model A roadster with a very rough front end.

When the going gets rough, the tough get going! Because this is for the lady, I'd say fix the holes, you said she's leaning toward paint...show us what can be done on a rough one when trying to pretty it up.[cl[P

So after some much deliberation and listening to everyone else's opinions, the bullet holes are getting repaired. Started out by drilling the holes to make the material ready to weld. Then I took some 18ga sheet and made small patches for each hole. Figured we would start out with the ones higher up on the quarters because I didn't want to waste time on bits that may or may not be cut off when the patch panels get here. Still have to figure out how I'm gonna clean up the holes through the belt line but I'll have all day tomorrow and friday to do that. Here's a few pictures.

Started with tue driver's side because none of the holes were touching.

And there was one big spot on the passenger side that needed some real help.

Well, weekend was a bust as far as working on the bullet holes. I got volunteered to paint a house for one of the woman's friends. Maybe I'll be able to start on it again in a week or so. Also, looks like I'm going to have to start hosting my photos here because there's no way I'm going to pay photobucket to host my photos especially when I can upload them here.

I quit PhotoBucket several years ago and just upload them from my computer.
It seems easier to me.
I never used a site to store pics. Don't see the usefulness. My computer has lots of space, and I don't need the world having access to anything I don't specifically post.

I know, I'm unAmerican... :D

I use one mostly for the back up aspect, if my computer crashes or gets damaged, I won't lose my pics, there still will be a copy of them. Onsite backup is good, but if you have a fire or a natural disaster you could still lose everything. I haven't went to one of the backup services for my other stuff though, just don't keep that much important stuff on the computer.

I went to flickr with my pics. 1TB storage and no problems hotlinking. No fees either.

Good to know! I have 10 years of pics on photo f-it. What makes me more mad is that all my builds and photos I have posted are all blank

Well, after 2 weeks, finally got all my pictures transfered over to flikr. Haven't had time to work on anything over the last week as the ol' lady volunteered me to get a friend's rental fixed up for the new tennant. Lots of sanding, painting, and cleaning but a week later it's all done. Got the patch panels in for the coupe on friday but it's been way too hot to do anything. Sunday night was so hot at work I had heat rashes all over my stomach, back, and shoulders. And what made it even worse was I was stuck welding in the nose of a locamotive where there is absolutely no air flow. It was a miserable night. Last night wasn't too bad but after today(high of 85 projected) it's supposed to go back into triple digits for the next 2 weeks. So even then I don't know if I'll want to be out in the shop much. I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see how the weather is.

Started installing the patch panels today. Got the passenger side wheel well put in and the rocker piece. It'll need a little bit of finish work to do but all in all pretty productive day today.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back