My '63 F100 build (pseudo-rat)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the tailight sections, rear pan and the tailgate supports in. So, I think I got everything welded up on the outside of my bed - the floors and wheelwells are going to have to wait. I screwed up and didn't figure out the hinge and clearance issues on the gate though. Gonna have to give that some thought!

Anyhow, I'm just about ready to move on to finish body work - woohoo.

Here's a pic of what I did and an original for comparison.

Attachments

• tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 122
  • gate-red.jpg
    gate-red.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 115
hey i had missed the updates too! that bed is one amazing piece of fab-work!(art in metal actually) you'll have ford truck guys scratching their heads sayin' "what year did henry make THAT bed??!!" i'm with your thought though, the upper bodylines were better on the 64-66 trucks-but the wheel opening is better from the 57-63 bed(never liked the "skirted fender" look on a truck) keep us posted on the progress.........

Thanks for the compliments fellas! Stripped all the paint and etch primed it today. Hope to lay on the 2-part tomorrow.
Rat33 - If you have a 66 crew cab, it's already custom!

You have a 66 crew? kewl. I know a guy over the boarder from you that has a lowered 65 Merc crew for a daily.

Hey you can still buy a dropped axle for that 63, nice job on the truck too.

my neighbor has a 63-66 crew 4x4 in decent shape, can be had for 1700 if anybodys interested, would to love to build it but to much other stuff to get done 1st

UPDATE: Got my bed all painted purty and bolted down, and installed the tailgate. Used BIG strap hinges cut down for the tailgate - worked and looks good. Still need to attach the bumper (state law), but I went to dig it back out and had forgotten it weighs 90+ Lbs! Who woulda thunk 2 7ft long chunks of 1/4" square tube would weigh so much? :rolleyes: Need to trim that down a bit first. Other than that it's good enough to run for the summer.

The pics don't show it that well, but its a ten footer - that's alright with me! :)

Attachments

• beddone1.jpg
    beddone1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 144
  • beddone2.jpg
    beddone2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 175
Boy that bed sure turned out nice, did you keep the rest of the old bed a round, I sure could use some parts off of it for my 1960 build.

Boy that bed sure turned out nice, did you keep the rest of the old bed a round, I sure could use some parts off of it for my 1960 build.

Yeah, I kept what was worth keeping (as in pack rat), but it ain't much since I used a lot of it in the build. A local guy took the rear corner tops and the rest of the back end was worthless (lots of bondo). About the only parts I have is 2- 5ft sections of bedrail just down past the bump out. And about the first 2 ft sections of the front sides (and pocket) top to bottom.

Yeah, I kept what was worth keeping (as in pack rat), but it ain't much since I used a lot of it in the build. A local guy took the rear corner tops and the rest of the back end was worthless (lots of bondo). About the only parts I have is 2- 5ft sections of bedrail just down past the bump out. And about the first 2 ft sections of the front sides (and pocket) top to bottom.

Is the front section in good shape? my truck was used as a farm truck, so the center of the bed was pushed forward into the cab. I just have to do about the same think with my bed, I put the body on a 1974 LTD chassis, and I do not want to cut the frame so I have to move the wheel wells back about 4 inches.

Is the front section in good shape? my truck was used as a farm truck, so the center of the bed was pushed forward into the cab. I just have to do about the same think with my bed, I put the body on a 1974 LTD chassis, and I do not want to cut the frame so I have to move the wheel wells back about 4 inches.

Tell ya what, I'll take a picture of what I have and you can let me know if you want it. :)

That would be great, I make trips down to Van Horne to my moms house now and then, So could swing by Davenport from there.

Dobber

Hey Dobber, this is all I have left of the old bed. Notice the top rail section of one chunk has a strip missing.

Attachments

• P5060020.jpg
    P5060020.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P5060021.jpg
    P5060021.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 29
  • P5060022.jpg
    P5060022.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 23
  • P5060023.jpg
    P5060023.jpg