Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Body... Talk & Q&A

Body... Talk & Q&A Top Chop, Channel & General Body Q&A

Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Default Opinions on this Rust Paint

Hey folks, I've been researching for paint that would replicate the rust/patina effect of an old car. I found this product that is made in the U.K. It appears to actually rust and creates the effect perfectly. It's sprayed on and allowed to dry, then followed up with an activator that will cause the paint to rust. You keep applying the activator to achieve your desired effect. It was explained to me that the paint has iron oxide in it and the activator causes it to rust.

Here is a short 3-4 minute demo video:

http://www.sprayonrustpaint.co.uk/

I could see this as an excellent way to achieve the patina effect, what is ya'lls opinion? Does anyone know of another paint that can do this?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:43 PM
He started out with nothing, he still has most of it!

Send a message via Yahoo to Yankee Transplant

I wouldnt mind using this .. I think I would like it .. I dont like the idea of my rat rusting away , and I dont want to seal the rust in with a clear coat .. as I know the clear will protect it maybe from getting moisture to it ... but thats why im struggling with flat black paint .. I like the looks of rust but not at the expense of rusting my truck away !!!!!! It took 67 years to get mine in this shape . but if I dont do something to protect it .. it will get going faster than you think . JMO.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Older and more rusted every day!

Do what ever makes you happy!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Devil's Advocate

My opinion? Not into anything fake, period. If you have a rusty car and are working on it, fine. This paint is for those who just want to follow a trend. Again, opinion...
Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM

I appreciate all the opinions, keep them coming
Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Here's my take on the paint.
The way it does I'd be afraid that if I ever did decide to paint one of my cars that this paint would have an adverse reaction to the new paint.
No i would never use it.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
My opinion? Not into anything fake, period. If you have a rusty car and are working on it, fine. This paint is for those who just want to follow a trend. Again, opinion...
See, that's the problem, not all of us have a rusty car with natural patina. Here is a way for someone, such as myself, to take a car with an aging paint job and quickly transform the appearance into something that looks aged and vintage. And this could easily be accomplished over the course of several weekends.

As an FYI, I perform all my own paint jobs, I know the amount of effort it takes to do a quality paint job and because I have a full time job, a quality paint job would take me close to a year to complete. That's the main reason why I like this as an alternative.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Here's an opportunity for you to use the product and do a review here on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????
Old 01-07-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Here's my take on the paint.
The way it does I'd be afraid that if I ever did decide to paint one of my cars that this paint would have an adverse reaction to the new paint.
No i would never use it.
And you are absolutely correct. You would want to strip it off as a prep for new paint.

Is that really a bad thing? Typically, most paint shops would strip down to bare metal for a quality paint job anyways.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Here's an opportunity for you to use the product and do a review here on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????
LOL!!

I've just about talked myself into it. If I do, you bet your *** I'll do a progress thread to see how it goes.