Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Power adders!

Power adders! Blowers, turbos & NOS talk & Q&A!

Old 03-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Ignition question for blown sbc ???? Help!!!

I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice lately regarding the ignition for my current project (Sheets & Giggles 23 T nostalgia altered). I am using a 383 sbc, 671 blower, Enderle injection and alcohol fuel. I will be running 15 pounds of boost maximum .. likely closer to 10 - 12 lbs.

The problem is that I am being told that an MSD 7AL will not supply enough spark to keep the candles lit and that I will need to upgrade to (at least) a Mallory Super Mag III. Does anyone on the board have any experience with this?

If I have to upgrade, are there any used mags out there for a reasonable price?

Appreciate any and all feedback.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

most people run mags in blown applications because they lack a alt/generator and an on board battery.

if you have the voltage, the MSD 7AL puts out enough spark volt to light any gas powered car.

I would invest a dime and call the boys at MSD and see what they suggest.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Isn't Dr. Crankenstein an experienced supercharger man.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Isn't Dr. Crankenstein an experienced supercharger man?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:05 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
most people run mags in blown applications because they lack a alt/generator and an on board battery.

if you have the voltage, the MSD 7AL puts out enough spark volt to light any gas powered car.

I would invest a dime and call the boys at MSD and see what they suggest.
Already talked to MSD. They were rather non-commital on the issue. As you say, if I was running gas there would be no problem but I will be using alcohol. The folks at Good Vibrations Motorsports who's advice I generally trust advised that the MSD would not be good enough. But they also want to sell parts. Searching the interweb tends to be 50/50 on the issue. One local guy is running the 7AL2 box and HVCII coil with a 14:71 blower and 25 lbs boost on alcohol and claims no problems - but that fellow also breaks a lot of parts. Leaves me in a bit of a quandry as to what I should do considering I already own a 7AL2 box that I used to run in my dragster. I had no problems in that car running alcohol normally asperated but the box failed when I was running blown alcohol in that car. The box is now being repaired at MSD.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

as long as you have the MSD box already, give it a whirl, if it works, great, if not you can always buy a mag.

MSD's love big voltage, when I ran mine, I had a big battery in the trunk and a 100 amp alternator a local electric shop made into a one wire alternator that charged full blast any time the engine was running. never had a low voltage problem after that. no charging between rounds or even between weekends. (120amp + 16v @ 3000+up rpm)

I wouldn't recommend the full time charging alternator for anything besides drag race only car, would dry out battery in no time, but works great at drag strip.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

I did some Googling last night and it appears that MSD-10 works but that tuning is easier with a mag.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
I did some Googling last night and it appears that MSD-10 works but that tuning is easier with a mag.
Thanks Bob and BlueNorther. Unfortunately the 10 is no longer being made. I'm leaning towards the mag but would sure like to find a way to save a bit of cash on the deal.

MSD choices are 7al2, 7al3, digital 7, Grid System (which is a big $ deal and is a 7 box), or an 8. Also, the strongest coil that MSD makes is the HVC II which has a peak current of 2 amps.

I have an older 7al2 that is currently being repaired at MSD. I would still need to buy the coil (~$200), the distributor (~$250), wires (~$100), 2 step (~$75), and the rpm switch (~$90). Total if I can get away with the 7al2 is $725. If I need an 8 box that's another ~$1200. That makes the total for an MSD system approximately $1900.

Mallory Super Mag 3 is ~($1330) with coil (~4 amps), wires (~$100), tach converter (~85), rpm switch (~90). Total for new mag setup is approximately $1600.

Remember this is all US $. Add shipping, 40% exchange and 13% sales taxes on the total Cdn $ and brokerage of unknown amount and you can understand why I want to make the right choice the first time . Whatever I do is going to be expensive .
Old 03-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

How about the racing junk site for used parts?

I see Good Vibrations Racing has some used stuff.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

454 with 671 blower MSD ignition with MSD coil. No problems with twin 850s. No nitrous though... Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1583.jpg (98.3 KB, 10 views)