rat rod race car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i actually think im settling on the later 30s coupe idea.. it'll give a lot more interior space to start with, but especially after doing this quick photoshop i think it'll really take to the widening and give just the right amount of squared off proportions that make the 31/32 coupes and trucks look so mean. but good call, flat windshield is a must!

There will be a lot of detailed brake work replicating window troughs and cowl/firewall shapes but in general I think I can brace each half then just weld in a 10 or 15 inch strip right down the middle

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Do you have the C5 vette chassis and drive train already? If not then I have a complete 99 C5 convertible frame, front and rear suspension, 6 speed trans, rear diff and torque tube with bell housing that I would part with....[P

Part of the plan is to buy a full running/driving vette go kart so I can get everything (electronics, rad/hoses, hvac, dash functions) cheaply but I would still be very interested in the chassis to get things started... unfortunately I bet shipping to Norway (where I currently am until I move back stateside to execute) would be prohibitive...

It probably would be...I can try strapping so foam to it and pushing it off the dock at the Atlantic Ocean to see if it will float...[cl

haha ok just let me know when it hits the water, i'll head down to the coast and watch for it!

but actually, would you mind making a couple of measurements? looking for width at firewall/front door hinge, then widest point at B-pillar, and then distance between the two.. if you dont mind :D

well the splitting of the cab really doesnt work for the rear, it kind of ruins the hot rod shape. im off it

attachment.php

attachment.php

so now im thinking through ways to still utilize most of the corvette parts, but just ditch the whole C5 firewall. if i cut the frame rails in the front (where they would meet firewall) i think i can cut relief cuts near the back and bend them in, then weld em back with some plates. then id have to fabricate new connections up to where the engine mounts. it would be ugly/noticeable but i dont think would have any structural risks.
attachment.php

this is all basically an alternative to just completley fabricating my own frame to fit the coupe body using teh C5 suspension/engine pieces... jus tnot confident i can make one of those straight and guaranteed sturdy... but we're one step closer to just doing that whole approach. the thing keeping me from it is the amoutn of money i can save by using all the C5 parts as i know i'll get nickle and dimed to death if i just fabricate everything

Attachments

• fenderless401stretch.jpg
    fenderless401stretch.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 60
  • VETTERODtopbottom40fordSPLITback.jpg
    VETTERODtopbottom40fordSPLITback.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 67
  • VETTERODtopbottom40fordunsplit.jpg
    VETTERODtopbottom40fordunsplit.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back