Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Power adders!

Power adders! Blowers, turbos & NOS talk & Q&A!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Three Strikes and your OUT

I'm doing one more turbo project. Last one I promise. Accel Turbosonic from the 70s (I thought they were older). Covering it in the 'Build' area. Where I'm at now. This was on a 350, but was alittle too much, so I'm setting it up on a 5.0 Ford in hopes of a milder more street friendly lower performance setup. The 5.0 needs some help. It's a 1984 EFI low compression smog motor--a blistering 140 HP. I bought the whole car for $75 with a bad timing chain. $35 later I have a pretty good running donor. Removed the throttle body, put on a GM style Distributer, and a little booster, maybe Ill see 200 hp??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7361.jpg (89.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7359.jpg (101.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7350.jpg (87.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7326.jpg (79.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7335.jpg (68.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7339.jpg (111.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7364.jpg (109.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Has anyone used a windshield washer as a water injection successfully? Looks a little Mickey mouse--but--I kinda roll that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (62.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

Can't help you out, PA41, but I'll be watching closely. If you are successful I'll probably give my similar set up a try.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:47 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I had the mock up crossover exhaust with 2" pipe, and I decided I wanted the T3 flange opening filled, so I've ordered 2 1/2" pipe with mandrel 90s. Should weld easier, and flow more. I just hammered the tube square and fit it in the flange, and the 2" leaves too much gap--the 2.5" should be better. I think I'll lower the crossover a little too. I had to cut the turbo exhausts T3 flange off and make it flat. I only gave $140 for the set, and they are THIN! I've never welded with the Mig on 1 and 1, and had to dot dot dot it even then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7366.jpg (76.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7371.jpg (55.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7367.jpg (111.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
If you are successful I'll probably give my similar set up a try.
I think in moderation these Turbosonic systems should be successful. The early turbo coupe T birds and the Early Grand Nationals were draw through, non intercooled, and they made reasonable power. I believe users and sellers, were asking too much from this type of system. I'm expecting to get some modest improvements at a relatively low cost. I think I have overdone it in my other turbo projects, so I'm going for a little less in this one. We'll see how it works.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:12 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Was looking up this Turbosonic company on the net, sifting through the BS, and found they started making this setup in 1976, and it struck me that those were the 'bad old days' of factory performance. The smog laws were trashing factory hotrods, and the aftermarket was capitalizing on the need for speed. I can remember people buying new cars and going through the motor at zero miles to get some compression back. I was a gas station mechanic and had a booming business replacing new car smog distributors with earlier model dizzies with illegal curves and sometimes doubling fuel economy and performance. Accel probably sold a bundle of these at first. Apparently the tuners are now claiming that multiple stage meth/water injection in non intercooled applications can be effective in 8 psi of boost even better than intercooling. There is one tuner telling people to trash there intercoolers and get sophisticated watering systems. You tube--Voiding Warranties EP35. Its gotta be true--its on the internet.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Interesting watching you set this up. The thought went through my head for about 2 seconds that I might do my 302 up with a turbo.....you're making it look easy! If I ever were to do one, it would be a draw through like that.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 AM

I just don't see how this is gonna work. The inlet side of the turbo is open. What are you blowing into? I don't see a hat on top of the carb. If this is a draw thru, the carb needs to get drawn into the turbo. If it is a "Blow through" carb setup, you need to blow through the top of the cab.......What Am I missing?

Spoon
Old 09-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Upon Further review, I think there must be some plumbing missing that runs from the bottom of the carb to the turbo....Yes?

Spoon
Old 09-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Upon Further review, I think there must be some plumbing missing that runs from the bottom of the carb to the turbo....Yes?

Spoon
Yeah, I've got some 3" 90s coming. Thats the 'draw' side connection that's got water coming to it on the factory parts that I don't have. I think that tube might ice up in winter if its a daily driver. The carb adapter casting is a weird deal with two separate chambers in it with check valves in between them so you can start the motor with the carb feeding through the checks, and as soon as the turbo boosts even a little, the checks shut and it flows through the carb and the vacuum chamber, through the draw tubing (that I don't have yet) into the turbo, then into the lower boosted chamber then into the intake. Kind of a Rube Goldberg thing. The blue piece in the pic is what I'll just make with tubing. My previous use of this was with the turbo on the side with a short rubber 3" draw pipe, and a long U boosted tube like the pick on the work bench. . This time I'm putting the turbo in the back and using a short boosted connection, and a long draw tube like the picture of engine on the stand..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACCEL.jpg (57.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Zagato400 (1) (1).jpg (51.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7302.jpg (84.2 KB, 20 views)