An outing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
My three sisters, mom and I made a trek back to the old ranch where us kids grew up. We lived there from 1959 to 1979.

Our house. Very common for old farm/ranch houses to get added onto as needed.

creightonouting024.jpg

The garage where I learned to weld and wrench.

creightonouting026.jpg

My Grampa and Grandma's house where Dad grew up.

creightonouting027.jpg

My first "hotrod" (we called them dunebuggys for some reason)

creightonouting013.jpg

Next two are a 34 Chevy and a 49 packard convertable, both of which my brother and cousin destroyed with the tractor and a log chain.

creightonouting017.jpg

creightonouting021.jpg

Grmpa's old Dodge coupe, I brought home the grille shell, thinking about going back after it because I have access to another one.

creightonouting015.jpg

Great pictures, I really like the last one. I went back to my grandparents house 15 years ago, and it was gone. The place had been sold, and the house torn down. But the footing was still there. I was surprised to see how small the house was. I remember running through it as a kid, with my cousins. And now a few paces and I get from one side to the other.

Enjoyed the pictures. Cool buggy!

This thread brought a tear to my eye, WB3. How fast time flies! The pics are great.
If you have a driver's door for the Dodge coupe, you can definitely save it. The one I built was about in that condition.

nice pics

I recognized that Olds V8! Thanks for the walk down your memory lane. Are there people living there now? Looks like a neat place to grow up, coming from a kid who grew up in Suburban Maryland.

440shorty

Those pictures show America at it's very best.........every one of us can relate to growing up in similar surroundings. Wasn't that the best time of your life? :) Thank you so much for sharing them with the rest of us.........you stirred up some real memories.

I know exactly what you mean about how small your house looks when you go back after years of being away. Right after 9/11 my then Girlfriend and I went from Florida to her hometown in Ohio for her class reunion, then we went back to Pittsburgh where I grew up. I hadn't been back since 1979. We went to the house I grew up in, and I was in utter shock..........not only was it so small, but the 3.5 acre property it was on was nothing like I remembered it being. It was over run with weeds, the house looked like a dump, and it generally was totallly run down. My Mom and Dad kept it perfect, and I left in a real funk because of how depressed it made me to see it like that.

The other thing that surprised me was how small the entire area looked. Every house and building I remembered was suddenly so tiny. What happens? Does time make us think things were so much larger than they actually were? It is funny all of you say that very same thing.

Don

My brother and i had a rather different experience. We went back to the little house we grew up in and the site of many bad memories. The family living there now invited us in and showed us how nicely it had been remodeled. Their family was warm and happy and now that is the picture in my mind when i think back to where i grew up. :)

Latest posts

Back