My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!

no...........

Although I have made some arrangements to take it to my buddies place in the next couple weeks to get the suspension done. I just need to finish up some stuff on the back then going to get the four link done and radius links done on the front. Almost done getting the alternator on. Had to do some bracket modification but then that will be ready. It is getting dangerously close, but still a lot to do.

Well was down working on the Dodge the other day. Since I have never liked the bag setup in the front I have decided to cut it off and start again. Going to go ahead and try to do a cantilever. This is going to require that I move the radiator forward just a little so that the bags will fit where I need them to. After that it will be time to go get the four link on.

Good news is mom and pops want me to come and "house sit" for them next weekend. I decided if I am going to sit out in the sticks down there I might as well get the Dodge up on the trailer and take it with me. Pops has a very nice shop which I am going to proceed to drip oil on the floor and fling grinding dust all over for 3 or 4 days!!

Forgot to mention too that I finally have a working alternator!!!! that was pretty exciting to me. Runs the compressor and everything.

Last edited:
That dripping oil and flinging dust is a commom problem

it seems at "Pops" place....my youngest and his friends call me "Pop"...right now I've got a Kenworth W900 sitting in front of my barn....wheels seals, air pump governor lines and clutch fan air lines...I think Kenworth has the market on cable ties....lol Never seen so many ......[S Now if they'd only clean up after themselves......:(

So, I loaded up the rat and took it to mom and pops for the weekend. What an experience that was. The trip down was ok, had lots of people waving at me and honking and what not. That was pretty cool, made me want it done even that much more.

Cantilever.jpg

Then it got interesting.

Got to mom and dads got it stuck on the trailer. Once I got it off I pulled it into the barn and put it up on blocks an started working on it. I cut a new plate, drilled it to mount the bags inverted.

Cantilever3.jpg

That worked out well. I tried a couple different designs to make the cantilever and ran into clearance issues and other problems. This ended up being what I came up with that works.

Cantilever9.jpg

Mind you that It is not finished at this point. That is just what I had to use to get the thing back on the trailer. Probably my favorite part about that is that it will reach max lift only using about 80PSI so the compressor doesn't have to run as much. Any way there is a lot to do before I can call that suspension done, but for now it will lift it up and down with no problem. Doesn't matter since I couldn't get the radiator back in due to bottom hose clearance problems so it is not driving anywhere right now.

Put the bed on then was out of time for the weekend.

Cantilever16.jpg

Put it up on the trailer and headed home.

Cantilever18.jpg

While on the way home decided to go ahead and give it a good interior scrub and clean off the brand new bare steel to prep it for paint.

Cantilever19.jpg

Once I got to my buddies house I was experimenting with faster was to get it off the trailer but that didn't work. Sure did end my weekend with a bang though. :(

Evidence of shop mess as left

2012-06-16_17-32-17_55.jpg

2012-06-18_12-32-10_6.jpg

Looks like the air bag thing is coming along....

is the lower hose clearance problem due to the air bag plate? It's murphy's law that it would rain on the way home if you had any bare metal...lol It all looks good and the bed came out nice..... good work....by the way, what happened getting it off the trailer???? miss the ramps? or just slipped off?? Hope nothing got tweeked...looks pretty close to sides of the trailer....but obviously a productive weekend...which is good[cl

Thanks sarge. Clearance issue is due to the new pivot block on the frame. I knew it would happen and new i would have to deal with it. Just figured i will figure it out once the cantilever is in place. Kind of field fit ya know.... lol. It wasnt hurt when it came off the trailer. Missed the ramp on one side. I was trying to unload on my own and it started rolling and i couldnt stop it(wasnt in it). Tried to jack it up to put the ramp under it and it slid over and fell off the jack :(. Buddy came with another jack and we got it up and off.

Ramps were pointed at the wrong angle to the dangle..

Could happen to anybody..... I remember watching my kid drive his truck up and over a car ramps once....try getting thoseback out from under it....:eek:
I like the set up and I'm sure you can fix the clearance issue without too much issue......looks good from here....[cl

Well I was down to check her out yesterday. The rain didn't get her metal to bad. Cleaned a lot of it up and painted some of it. Removed the pieces for the cantilever to I could make them pretty and do some reinforcement. Still can't figure out that radiator issue............

Well the current issue is trying to figure out what to do with the radiator! If I can figure that out, then the whole thing will be off and running again!

Latest posts

Back