Well.....here we go again....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea... cool beans huh... :mad:
Buying a nw pc is one thing... getting used to new software in something different ... for a whizkid like myself :p

my friend has a repair/cusom built computer shop and is building me a new one for for way less than buying one, also he is moving all my files, pics ect over to the new one, hope to have it soon.

Later :cool:

When my dial up failed and I went to satellite, the new laptop had W10 in it. I heard horror stories about it but to tell the honest truth, it hasn't given me any trouble. Some of the functions differ a little and may use a different way of doing some things but it was fairly easy to get used to ...I don't think anyone viewing this forum with have a real bad time with figuring it out!

My machine , HP Paviliion, just broke, it was 9 years old. It had Windows 7. When 10 came out, I tried it, didn't last 2 days with me so I reverted back.

Now I just bought another HP , and I am stuck with 10. I hate it, but I am trying to work with it. I am also going to get one of those external drives and retrieve files from the old one.

If it ain't fixed, don't broke it

^ Your post line (or what ever they call it) sums it up. ^

But not for Microsoft. Theirs is something like "If it ain't broke, break it anyway, and then charge people to sorta' fix it again." Windows 8 was a REALLY broken toy. So now we are supposed to be happy that they fixed some of what they broke. I am a system builder, been building computer systems for the past 11 years. For my personal use, I'm sticking with Win 7 (also still have a Windows XP system, to run some programs that don't work on Windows 7). Sure, they wanted to get rid of XP back when 7 came out, but I've never seen a company put out so much effort to kill one of their own products as Microsoft is doing now, with Win 7.
Office 365 is another matter, At least you do still have the option to get a Desktop version of Office, so that you don't have to pay a yearly subscription fee. (Also, just in case there are those who do not know, Office 2019 will not install on Windows 7. It requires Windows 10. But there ARE other options, especially if you do not need to exchange files with someone who is using the Microsoft Office products, but mainly only if the file is using macros. Check out OpenOffice, or LibreOffice. Both still have the old familiar Menu Bar like all programs used to have. I use LibreOffice myself.)
But even though professionally I strongly dislike 10, for the user who is just doing the normal home owner sort of things, the adjustment shouldn't be too difficult. My task is different, because all of my customers are non-internet users (Amish & very conservative Mennonite), and they also require restrictions to be put in place to prevent gaming, videos, music, and of course, all internet access. Every time I have to do a program installation that requires major updates, one that cannot be done off-line, I have to recheck the required security settings to be sure that Windows updates haven't wiped all of my custom settings. (That happened when I updated my Windows installation image last November, to meet installation requirements for the accounting program QuickBooks.)

i will keep my 7 till it no longer works. i have all updates turned off and installed never 10 years ago when they tried to change everybodies computers. i use 10 at work and i can't stand it, but it is what it is.

I'm sure that although they won't support it anymore, it doesn't just stop working... Like was said... shut down the auto updates and then just use it until either the computer goes fubar or some of the programs you use won't function... until then, use it and ignore all the windows does not support Windows 7 any longer advisories... JMHO... by the way, my lap top at home still uses Windows 7 and I plan on doing the same thing...

I stopped in my friendly computer repair store on a different issue today and axed (cultural appropriation) him about this issue. He said not to worry, 7 would work for a long time.

Heck I ran the ugly stepchild WinME for years after MS disowned it. Mostly for photoshop, but it I surfed the net too. Eventually it was too outdated for most sites.

The US Govt is still on Win98! I think some might be on XP, too.
I took the free upgrade to 10 from 7, haven’t had many problems. Just a different look. I also have a 7 pc for the Grandson, it web surfs just fine.
All os eventually get outdated. That’s progress I guess.

if you want to keep old hardware cranking away, switch to Ubuntu Budgie, or Linux Mint, or Ubuntu Mate, you can do anything on Linux that you do on Windows, and it uses less resources (memory and disk space).

And It's FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped in my friendly computer repair store on a different issue today and axed (cultural appropriation) him about this issue. He said not to worry, 7 would work for a long time.

Good to hear...

Heck I ran the ugly stepchild WinME for years after MS disowned it. Mostly for photoshop, but it I surfed the net too. Eventually it was too outdated for most sites.

The US Govt is still on Win98! I think some might be on XP, too.
I took the free upgrade to 10 from 7, haven’t had many problems. Just a different look. I also have a 7 pc for the Grandson, it web surfs just fine.
All os eventually get outdated. That’s progress I guess.

Progress....:p;)

if you want to keep old hardware cranking away, switch to Ubuntu Budgie, or Linux Mint, or Ubuntu Mate, you can do anything on Linux that you do on Windows, and it uses less resources (memory and disk space).

And It's FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info... may give it a try when the time comes..( do you delete
windows before install ?)

Those sound like new blizzards at Dairy Queen :D... Sorry....

:D [cl[cl

Latest posts

Back