Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Glad you're ok Mac. Your deal scary too Doc. Got me think'n about some of my old tires.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:41 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

Whew! Close calls guys. Glad you're okay.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
Gives new meaning to the derogatory/slang term, "Suck Rocks!"

I hope your brand new engine survives the dirty disaster with no ill effects, mac.

I can't imagine a tractor tire blowing out explosively. I'd expect big volume and an instant "pressure wave" you can't avoid, no matter how quick or slow you might be.

I had a tire explode on my lift once... a four post lift like yours... I did a simple oil change on my wife's SUV and before I dropped it back to the floor, I checked tire pressure all around. I added a few pounds where needed, finished with the passenger front and walked around to the lift controls at driver side front... just as I laid my hands on the controls, the passenger front tire burst with a bang and noise I can only relate to a shotgun's muzzle next to your ear. (Thanks to my buddy Charlie, I know exactly how that feels and sounds.) I was completely deaf for a minute and the ringing lasted a little longer... regardless, I'm glad the tire didn't fail 10 or 15 seconds before, when my face was fully and completely in the blast zone... it could have killed me.

My point is, I'm glad you weren't injured or killed when the tire let go. When you're dead, it doesn't matter how many toys you have!

Doc, when I was in my last year of University they took us on a field trip to local companies that produced products of various materials. We were at a plastic pipe producer in Edmonton and they showed us how they burst test plastic pipe. They do it with water in a steel cage, and since water doesn't compress it's much less violent than you'd expect although there is a big splash of water and you're glad the pipe pieces are contained in a cage. Then they showed us a video to demonstrate why you don't do it with air. Same type of cage, same size of pipe in a controlled outdoor environment, the pipe exploded violently and blew the cage apart.

After seeing that and having watched videos of tires exploding in a tire cage, I am always very cautious when inflating tires now. I always try to position myself so I'm off to the side of the tire, or something is between me and direct contact of the tire (body panel, my legs, etc). That's a really scary experience you had too, could have been very bad!

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Rocket Surgeon

snopro, I worked for a tanker/trailer manufacturer for 15 years... we did hydrostatic testing and air testing every day on the shop floor. I could tell you some stories... anyhow, PSI to me, is an acronym for Pee Shorts Instantly.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 05-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I had a 40 or so year old bias ply blow out at my foot. I had a 38 Chrysler at one time that had been sitting for years. Had the front clip off and was rolling it out of my old wooden shop building, using that front tire to roll it by hand. All of the sudden, BOOM! It blew right by my right foot. Tubeless bias ply, had great tread and didnít look a bit rotten, but had to be over 40 years old. Happened so quick I didnít even have time to be scared! Since I always wear boots, it didnít hurt a thing.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:52 PM
Builder Junky!

I found another tractor tire and got a guy to come out and change it. He left the wheel on the tractor. When I looked inside the tire it seemed to me that the break was straight across the face in a line, as if that was the connecting point. It was a good looking tire.
Anyway, you know that old saying 'pictures or it didn't happen', well I tried to take pictures of the hole in the ground about the size of a five gallon pail. After the pictures ------ you still might not believe me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2183.jpg (152.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2182.jpg (170.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Those tractor tires have a lot of volume to get rid of when they blow.
Had a tire on my 47 ton and a half blow and it threw gravel from 50 feet away into my shop.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I believe you, Mac, pictures or no pictures!

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan