1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent most of yesterday and this morning working on the front shock/headlight/ airbag cross member gusset, mounts. I will close in the back of the two arches with some 1/8 steel with holes drilled from bottom to top.
I need some opinions on the headlights, I have one mounted with a clamp, but I'm thinking it is too high and should be about 3 inches lower, what do you all think??

Set them low enough that the tires don't hit the lights when at full turn and they'll be about right.

Thanks Old Iron, kinda what I was thinking just wanted to here it from those that have gone before me.

Looking good man. I'll be looking forward to the seat construction as well.
Did you ever find some glass for the windshield?

Thanks Gunz, I tried calling a couple places in Swift but they never got back to me. Crystal Glass in Lethbridge quoted me $160 for a custom cut and fitted tinted windshield.

That ain't bad Dozer! I got a local shop to cut mine for $102. but I didn't have as much glass or tinting on mine.

That ain't bad Dozer! I got a local shop to cut mine for $102. but I didn't have as much glass or tinting on mine.

That's kinda what I thought, just our dollar at 1.36 puts me at $140. based on what you paid, and we all know everything cost more up here in the Great White North

Got the headlight mounts finished and welded on I was only able to drop them 2 inches but it looks better.

Also got the side pipes built. After searching for the last month I wasn't able to find any 3 or 4 inch grain auger so just went with some 3.5 inch exhaust tubing. It sounds real good but I think a little loud for the local Police, so I will find some larger auger and cut the flighting down to fit the tubes to bring the noice level down a touch.

Video is up-loading of it running on the side pipes, will post as soon as it's done.

That sounds good to me [S but i'm not the law either :rolleyes:
I drove the willys with 8 summies and never got stopped, except to look at it. Just depends on the mode of officer. :D

Good stuff on the glass. I find Swift not all that great when looking for stuff out of the norm. 'you want what? For what?? , what's the year,make and model?'
Those pipes sound good, personally I would test the waters (that's just me) before quieting them down unless of course they are too loud to hear yourself think.

That sounds good to me [S but i'm not the law either :rolleyes:
I drove the willys with 8 summies and never got stopped, except to look at it. Just depends on the mode of officer. :D

Thanks soltz, you are very correct in it all depends on the mood of the officer!!

Sounds good to me! Being in the building will make it louder, outside it might not be that bad.

Thanks Bam, it may just be okay out side but I can't give it a try as there is a foot of snow in front of the shop.:D

Headlights look good and the engine sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks OI

Good stuff on the glass. I find Swift not all that great when looking for stuff out of the norm. 'you want what? For what?? , what's the year,make and model?'
Those pipes sound good, personally I would test the waters (that's just me) before quieting them down unless of course they are too loud to hear yourself think.

Thanks Gunz, I think I will just wait and see how they sound outside like Bamamav suggested.
Swift is terrible, I called two big name tire places to get pricing on my rear tires and wheels, one said they would call me back and never did and the other couldn't seem to look them up with out year make and model like you said.[S I was going to have the windshield done while I was in Lethbridge for Christmas but then thought better of it, I would probably end up with grinding and weld pits in the new glass before I got to install it:eek:

Got started on the seats this morning, I figured out a way to justify to the wife why drinking beer has to be done while your building an RR. With out empty beer cases how is a guy supposed to make patterns:D

Bending the 1.25"flanges to attach the seat and back

All four frames ready to have the angle reinforcement riveted on.

Latest posts

Back