New kid needing help, loving rats!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schine

hello guys, as you can see in the title, i'm new in this kinda stuff, i'm a young mexican, just 19 years old, and i wanna get started with my own rat, the deal here it, i just can't choose the better way for me to do it!!!

i've got 3 offers, about 2000 bucks each:D:

1.-a late 70's montecarlo cassis with a 48-51'ish chevrolet cab, wheels, steering column, tires, tranny, and front suspension,no engine, real cheap, the thing with this one is that i dont know the amount of modification i would have to do to the cassis to fit the ca, and how would it look, you know, being so relatively "new"...

2.- a 1947 dodge desoto pickup, 6 cyl engine and working, this one is over its original frame, so it would be easier to modify(wich i don't know lots about) but my guess would be to channel the cab and "Z"the frame to get the look o want.

3.- a non ratty 68' barracuda, this one is i think my best option as a rookie, because it doesnt need the amount of job the other 2 cars would, so i could just "finish it" as i like, i gotta say i consider myself handy, i have worked with metals for about 2 years now, and so i know the basics about car mechanics and metalsheet work, i will muchly appreciate the hel and opinions, greetings from mexico, keep it up rat bRodders :D

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have already figured out which vehicle would work best for you , in your situation. Are rats getting to be a big thing in Mexico?

No choice there #2. I have a 42 fargo and 47 dodge pu but I bet you have alot less rust to deal with than we do up here. I would leave it the way it is for now paint it flat black get some cool wheels and drive it for a while.

Welcome Schine...whichever car you choose please keep us informed about the work you do to it and please post pictures. We are hear to help if we can.:D

#1 - only for the cab. That 70's car frame would be a pain.
#2 - if you want an open wheel rat.
#3 - it's a 68 Cuda.

Welcome to RRR from NC.

Hands down, the 47 dodge will make the best looking rat.[dr

Be sure to post pictures if your build and ask all the questions you need answers for, these folks are awesome when it comes to helping us not so talented folks.[;)

No choice there #2. I have a 42 fargo and 47 dodge pu but I bet you have alot less rust to deal with than we do up here. I would leave it the way it is for now paint it flat black get some cool wheels and drive it for a while.

you're so right bout that, buuuuut, that the one thats like 7 hours away from the place i live in, that's why i hesitate...., i'l try to find pics of what i would like to do...thanks!

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have already figured out which vehicle would work best for you , in your situation. Are rats getting to be a big thing in Mexico?

i actually have never seen a rat here in mexico, its not like i wanna be the one and only guy to have one, besides, people around here are more into having the original looks in their cars, i cant say top chop, section or channel the car, cause nobody understands!! (well, nobody i know:D)
wich suck for me cause there are lots of cars in junkyards just getting rusted, AND I CANT EVEN HaVE ONE OF THOSE!!!,my thing is purely love for cars and i cant wait to get my hands on one, so if i choose any of the pickups, theys get ratted sooner or later, if i choose the 68, i assure you it would be called ..the ba-RAT- cuda hahaha

Last edited:
RatRodderAlley0022hotrod09.jpg

how about something like this, the thing is i wanna go with uncovered wheels in the back, and a shortened frame, so the wheels (which i need to be huge) come in a nice way behind the cab....

just like this one

so, the #2 is just like this one, what do you guys think?
1948%20Desoto%20-%20Joe%20TT.jpg

Can you weld?

What does the #1 cab look like? You would want a different frame. Or build your own frame. You could re-use the rear axle and suspension and get a old straight axle for the front.

How much are they asking for #1 and #2?

Can you find a frame from the junkyard?

Good to have you aboard, Schine! Me being a MoPar guy, the '68 Baracuda sounds awesome. The first choice w/ trying to mate it to the 'Carlo frame sounds like a lot of work for a first build. #2, the complete truck, sounds like the way to go. You could just get it running at first, have a really cool Rat Rod, and be way ahead of a lot of other people. Then as you dial in the drivetrain, you can plan out your drop, chop, wheels etc.

The bottom line though, is you have to do what makes you happy. Good luck.

Can you weld?

What does the #1 cab look like? You would want a different frame. Or build your own frame. You could re-use the rear axle and suspension and get a old straight axle for the front.

How much are they asking for #1 and #2?

Can you find a frame from the junkyard?

yes i can, i mean i'm not a pro welder, but i've got the basics, and have someguys to help me out and teachme with the welding thing, so thats not a problem.

they're asking for #1 about 900 or 1000 bucks
for #2 1200 bucks

last night talkin to my stepdad, he know a lot, he's got cars (32,34,36) he basically told me to do whatever i wanted to, i need an everyday ride, so i'm stuck in between the cuda and number 2, thanks for the help!

Good to have you aboard, Schine! Me being a MoPar guy, the '68 Baracuda sounds awesome. The first choice w/ trying to mate it to the 'Carlo frame sounds like a lot of work for a first build. #2, the complete truck, sounds like the way to go. You could just get it running at first, have a really cool Rat Rod, and be way ahead of a lot of other people. Then as you dial in the drivetrain, you can plan out your drop, chop, wheels etc.

The bottom line though, is you have to do what makes you happy. Good luck.

thats where i'm caught inbetween, cuda and the #2 pickup, there's the possibility for me to have a corvette, courtesy of my dad, so if that happens i will buy the pickup, and get all the stuff done to it, if i dont get the cotvette as my every day ride, i'll get the cuda, cause its running and i dont have to get the frame modded, i mean obviously get you modify your car to rat rod it you CANT drive it hahaha and well, that's the basic purpose of them right?

thanks so much for the oppinion!

I have always been under the impression there were an abundance of older cars in Mexico. The '30 Ford i have now was found in Hermasillo.

well there is, but i think its a lot like in the US, if you want one, you have to search, till you get bored, wich personally never happens, i love to go and look after cars, and now i envy you for having a 30!!

well good luck w/ your proyects!

Latest posts

Back