28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on both the safety and the 300. That's quite a deal on the car. Your 28 is looking good, and that transplant will be interesting to follow. Good luck with it!

Nobody in their right mind should be disappointed about chucking a Wedge on the ground and installing a Hemi, but, -- I was, and it looks like I have good company. The coolness of an old Wedge is right up there just because of its age. I understand why you're doing the swap; reliability, but the 440 would be no slouch, either. Sorry, you did such a great job on the whole car that I shouldn't even have an opinion.
:D:D[P[P[P

Congrats on both the safety and the 300. That's quite a deal on the car. Your 28 is looking good, and that transplant will be interesting to follow. Good luck with it!

Thanks Bill it should be interesting

I understand the reasons for the swap but..........:(
[P [P [P
Torchie

Don't do it!!!!:eek::eek:

Torchie and POPS I knew I was going to get flack for even suggesting I do this.

It's way to cool to as it is. JMHO.
Build you another one for long trips.

Nobody in their right mind should be disappointed about chucking a Wedge on the ground and installing a Hemi, but, -- I was, and it looks like I have good company. The coolness of an old Wedge is right up there just because of its age. I understand why you're doing the swap; reliability, but the 440 would be no slouch, either. Sorry, you did such a great job on the whole car that I shouldn't even have an opinion.
:D:D[P[P[P

Thanks MM
I love the 440, the way it looks and sounds, but my vision for this car was a driver, we have two trips planned one as primer that is about 3500km and then the big one at 12000km so reliability is real important.

I`m sad to see it go.... I`ve seen enough of inreliable 3rd gen. hemi`s too.
Fuel consumption is a thingy tho...
You may have to consider a closed hood now :rolleyes:

You know all of these opinions are friendly. If ever there was a site where you can do what you want, this is it.

However, 440 forever!

I get the resistance to the idea of pulling the 440 out to put in an evil modern computer controlled Gen III Hemi, but this is just what hotrodders have done forever, swapping in a newer more powerful engine. Modern tech has made 1 horsepower per cu. in. a minimum expectation with much more easily achieved while being reliable and giving better mileage to boot.
I have 2 vehicles with the 5.7 in them and with just exhaust and intake mods, both make 400HP on regular gas with no warranty or reliability issues. Yes, they both have the annoying occasional Hemi tick upon startup, you'd think that after producing millions of these engines, they could solve that issue. The dealers downplay it saying it's a non-issue but it still is irritating. From what I've learned from Mopar mechanics who are willing to talk about it is that occasionally when the engine stops, the oil hole in one lifter lines up with a passage or whatever, and that lifter bleeds down, so when it starts up, it ticks for a bit until it pumps back up.
I'll be watching this swap with particular interest 'cause it's one that I'm considering for a future build. There are some cool valve covers available, relocating the coils and clearing off some of the ugly junk common to modern engines can really improve its appearance and peoples acceptance of it. GM's LS engines are pretty ugly too but people have learned to clean them up and they have become pretty mainstream hotrod material.
The 440 is not junk, lots of people would jump at the chance to have it, I'm sure you'll find another home for it in the future.
A true hot rod is never done........

No matter what you put in it dozer, it will still be a way cool car.😎😎😎
I understand about the economy as thats one of the reasons I’m looking at running the 4.3 from the S10 in my Dodge.
I talked with a guy that put a 4.3 in his 52 Plymouth. And even with air conditioning it gets 23 MPG on the highway.
Torchie

I`m sad to see it go.... I`ve seen enough of inreliable 3rd gen. hemi`s too.
Fuel consumption is a thingy tho...
You may have to consider a closed hood now :rolleyes:

I hear ya. closed hood maybe not. ;);)

I'll be snooping on this [cl
[P[P[P

By all means [P[P

You know all of these opinions are friendly. If ever there was a site where you can do what you want, this is it.

However, 440 forever!

I know Bob if it was just going to be a cruiser it would not get changed.

I get the resistance to the idea of pulling the 440 out to put in an evil modern computer controlled Gen III Hemi, but this is just what hotrodders have done forever, swapping in a newer more powerful engine. Modern tech has made 1 horsepower per cu. in. a minimum expectation with much more easily achieved while being reliable and giving better mileage to boot.
I have 2 vehicles with the 5.7 in them and with just exhaust and intake mods, both make 400HP on regular gas with no warranty or reliability issues. Yes, they both have the annoying occasional Hemi tick upon startup, you'd think that after producing millions of these engines, they could solve that issue. The dealers downplay it saying it's a non-issue but it still is irritating. From what I've learned from Mopar mechanics who are willing to talk about it is that occasionally when the engine stops, the oil hole in one lifter lines up with a passage or whatever, and that lifter bleeds down, so when it starts up, it ticks for a bit until it pumps back up.
I'll be watching this swap with particular interest 'cause it's one that I'm considering for a future build. There are some cool valve covers available, relocating the coils and clearing off some of the ugly junk common to modern engines can really improve its appearance and peoples acceptance of it. GM's LS engines are pretty ugly too but people have learned to clean them up and they have become pretty mainstream hotrod material.
The 440 is not junk, lots of people would jump at the chance to have it, I'm sure you'll find another home for it in the future.
A true hot rod is never done........

Very well put ZZ. I kinda excited about the whole thing, I saw what Chip Foose did to make a 5.7 look old school.

No matter what you put in it dozer, it will still be a way cool car.😎😎😎
I understand about the economy as thats one of the reasons I’m looking at running the 4.3 from the S10 in my Dodge.
I talked with a guy that put a 4.3 in his 52 Plymouth. And even with air conditioning it gets 23 MPG on the highway.
Torchie

Thanks Torchie, I'm expecting with an overdrive transmission I will be in the mid to high 20's MPG.

How can you not like this??:D[ddd

attachment.php

Attachments

• b109f5b891139041e1e311cd7bba90fb--fuel-injection-kool.jpg
    b109f5b891139041e1e311cd7bba90fb--fuel-injection-kool.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 49
That's the setup I've been dreaming about for the engine in the next coupe, which I want to build as a Gasser...:cool: (emphasis on the dreaming part, that stack injection alone surely costs more than I've ever spent on any engine :()

A buddy of mine just had to replace a couple of the roller lifters in his Dodge pickup hemi. He bought a set of Hellcat lifters and pushrods to replace the stockers. He caught his early, told me there are several forums he’s on where other guys weren’t as lucky and it cost them an engine. The bearings come out of the rollers and screw everything up. He said if it starts ticking, the rollers are probably going bad. Just something to look out for, I have no experience with those engines.

Latest posts

Back