Visitor in the neighborhood.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

Went out to work on the Dodge this morning and the neighbor from across the road stopped over.
His trail cam picked up a big Black bear on his property. Apparently it decided to amble across the road and visit my bee hives.:eek:
Looks like about 3 hives knocked over so it could have been much worse. Time to prepare for a return visit.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 35
What else do you do we don't know about Torchie? Never knew you were a beekeeper too. My Great Grandpa was one, too. Not for me, I'm allergic to insect stings. Seen Grandpa covered from head to foot in bees, no way I could do that! And he rarely got stung. Nothing like honey fresh from the hive![cl

:) :) :)
What else do you do we don't know about Torchie? Never knew you were a beekeeper too. My Great Grandpa was one, too. Not for me, I'm allergic to insect stings. Seen Grandpa covered from head to foot in bees, no way I could do that! And he rarely got stung. Nothing like honey fresh from the hive![cl

Can't claim to really being a "beekeeper" Bama. More of a "Beewatcher." We host hives during the summer. They go down to Georgia and then out to California in the winter and spring.
But we do get to enjoys the fruits of their labor.
Surprisingly we haven't had bears before this as they are all around our area. We have no issues with getting stung as we've come to an agreement with them. We provide them with all the stuff they like as well as fresh water and they don't bother us.:)
Torchie

Bee keepers showed up and re stacked the hives.
Tracked the bear up into the woods that runs along the edge of the property to make sure it hadn't dragged off any honeycomb frames.
If this happens again they will either put up a hot wire around the hives of remove them all together as it is getting near the end of their visit any way.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 8
OK, I gotcha. Just letting them live rent free for their services! [cl

I was out in TX one time at a truck stop, didn't know it then but I parked next to a load of bees. Starting seeing them on my truck, on the ground, buzzing around. They didn't bother me, and I didn't bother them.:D Funny how they transport them across the country like that.

Did somebody say bears???

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ChrisBear.jpg
    ChrisBear.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Chrisbear1.jpg
    Chrisbear1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Chrisbear2.jpg
    Chrisbear2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Chrisbear3.jpg
    Chrisbear3.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Chrisbear4.jpg
    Chrisbear4.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 43
I was kind of surprised it wasn't a Mama with her cubs smalls.
But it appeared to be a loner.
We will see how things look in the morning.
Torchie

This happened in 2014 when I lived in Delaware. ..scary!

An estimated 16 to 20 million bees were being transported in a tractor-trailer that crashed in Delaware. Workers donned protective suits to round up as many of the bees as possible, but one beekeeper admitted there was no way to catch them all.

Attachments

• 1400638744000--052014-Bees-SP213JPG-20140520.jpg
    1400638744000--052014-Bees-SP213JPG-20140520.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 10
This happened in 2014 when I lived in Delaware. ..scary!

An estimated 16 to 20 million bees were being transported in a tractor-trailer that crashed in Delaware. Workers donned protective suits to round up as many of the bees as possible, but one beekeeper admitted there was no way to catch them all.

No doubt. The guy we work with runs about 10,000 hives.:eek:
It was interesting that when they showed up to fix the hives they smoked them to get the bees back into the hives and even the bees that were at various watering spots on our property made a "Beeline" for the hives.
They have a very sophisticated caste system and way of communicating with each other.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back