1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, just room for a dog or tiny humans.... a back seat would be pretty cramped in this body style anyways.....

If I was building this car for myself, I would not have made the back shelf and would have moved the bulkhead back to make more room behind the seats also probably not have done the raised floor for the spare. I like living dangerously with no spare.....

Made some more sawdust today making the quarter and rear panels - cardboard template came in handy to make the rear one fit the shelf and corners.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2231.JPG
    IMG_2231.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 67
Kudos for the well executed wood work ZZ. But, no.

This car is far to beautiful to turn the interior into a teardrop trailer. A little behind the seats was one thing. Now it has taken over. Please take the owner out behind the barn and convince him that this is not the way to go.

And for the record, I like teardrop trailers.

Afterthought: Are you going to cover the quarter-panels and roof part with something that matches the seats and headliner? That would fix it. Please...

Last edited:
Afterthought: Are you going to cover the quarter-panels and roof part with something that matches the seats and headliner? That would fix it. Please...

Oh Jeez, yes! Not going for the Rustic Early Camper look!! :cool:Everything gets upholstered, interior in matching material to the seats, door panels etc., likely carpet on the rear shelf so if you chuck your hat there, it won't slide off, trunk floor carpet, trunk side panels either carpet or some other matching durable material. Backside of bulkhead will get painted to match, don't want to look in the trunk and see a bunch of raw lumber. :eek:

Oh Jeez, yes! Not going for the Rustic Early Camper look!! :cool:Everything gets upholstered, interior in matching material to the seats, door panels etc., likely carpet on the rear shelf so if you chuck your hat there, it won't slide off, trunk floor carpet, trunk side panels either carpet or some other matching durable material. Backside of bulkhead will get painted to match, don't want to look in the trunk and see a bunch of raw lumber. :eek:
Oh. Thank you. Really. I was starting to freak out. It was also like 5:45 a.m. and I hadn't had time to turn my brain on. I should have known, I guess. Anyway, I am really glad to hear it. [cl [cl [cl

Woodwork looks good ZZ. [cl My Lincoln had a similar arrangement to hide the spare tire and jack, it was covered in outdoor carpet, but was so rotten from the trunk lid not having a weatherstrip and leaking it was all so rotten I trashed it all. I plan on redoing mine one of these days. I won't have the cabinet or shelf though as my car has a back seat.

Woodwork looks good ZZ. [cl My Lincoln had a similar arrangement to hide the spare tire and jack, it was covered in outdoor carpet, but was so rotten from the trunk lid not having a weatherstrip and leaking it was all so rotten I trashed it all. I plan on redoing mine one of these days. I won't have the cabinet or shelf though as my car has a back seat.

Thanks Bam. That's the bonus of having a Lincoln, much more room back there for the seat. [P

Finished making up the interior panels with the exception of the strip that goes on the top of each door above the garnish moulding - have to leave something for the upholstery shop to fab :D
They will actually make that piece from sheet ABS as it wont split when stapling or putting screws in such a narrow strip. Originally those pices and the ones above the doors and front window were made from a cardboard like material.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2234.JPG
    IMG_2234.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 58
Beautiful work ZZ, didn't see the wood work coming, if it's what the customer
want's that's what the customer gets, right? Very nice work by the way. I'm
with you though, if it were mine ... I'm convinced the customer will be extremely pleased ... carry on, I'll be watching....;)

[P[P[P

Bolted on the trunk lid for the first time - Packard had a penchant for fine thread fasteners and I could not find the right bolts for it, finally gave in and just tapped the nutserts out to 1/4" NC. Packard also loved wood, good thing it's not rotten!

attachment.php

The fit is actually quite good, it latches perfectly - BUT - Big nasty gap at the lower edge :(:mad: There was a ton of lead in here that I melted off when replacing the rear pan. You can see the gap in the middle is smaller - that's my fault, need to slice and dice to correct that. But the main problem is that it never fit right from the factory, they just fudged it with lead. The floor and weatherstrip channel have never moved - a quality control issue I guess, kept the lead bodymen busy..
My fix will be to straighten the edge of the opening to get rid of the hump in the in the middle, then add material to the edge of the trunk skin, hopefully not starting a forest fire in the process :eek:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 56
Think I might join you on that bridge :D

If it comes down to that, I know the perfect place: "At 295 feet, Park Bridge’s pier number 4 is the tallest ever built in Canada."

If nothing else, we'll go with a big splash. :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Park Bridge Golden BC.jpg
    Park Bridge Golden BC.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back