3 phase welder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtRatsSpeedShop

ok guys i just purchased a miller cp200 power supply and its 3 phase i dont have three phase in my shop just 220, i have heard a few different things 1. call the electric company and have them run 3 phase to my little shop. 2. rewire the unit 3. get a static converter

ok so how would i rewire it if that is even possible

and i looked for static converters and really got stuff that didnt help me out

so do anyone of you guys know what to do any suggestions?

First off I am not an expert, but here is what I understand. You probably will not be able to rewire it to make it work. Running 3 phase to your shop will be expensive depending on where the closest 3 phase power is, and then hooking it all in to your existing, will cost too. There is a guy on E-bay that makes the converters. I called him up when I got my iron worker to find out from him that his converter would not work with my unit.
But he was a good guy and seemed to know alot.

My guess is that for the money you may spend to run this welder, you could buy a good 220 welder. But it all depends on what you can get the other stuff for.

Good luck which ever way you go.

a rotary phase converter is better than a static converter, a static converter you can only get about 80% of the power, where a roto converter will run at the full hp of power, im not good at explaining this sort of thing

all the stuff i have read about phase converters say you cant run a compressor or a welder on one, but a very good friend of mine tells me differently, as soon as i build me a larger converter i will find out for sure if it will work or not using s 3 phase compressor

i bought plans to build one (a roto phase converter) off of ebay a few years ago from a guy that lives only a few miles from me, i will search for the guys Email and pass it along, from what i have read this guy is very good about answering questions and walking you thru building one yourself if you have problems, you do hafta buy the plans that are well worth the money, $2 or $3 for a download Email file or $5 for a mailed cd

if i can find his website i will pass that along as well

Ron

ok i found the ebay plans that i bought, i met this guy in person too, very nice and seems like an honest guy to me, the price has changed since i got mine from him, i bought him breakfast and dropped it off at his shop because it is only a few miles from me and he gave me the cd

3 phase converter

i hope this helps

Ron

3 phase

I dont think a converter would be the best but take about a 20 HP 3 phase motor and run it on 1 phase and take power off the 4 leads using it as a idler will work
if you are going to add metalworking equipment, lathes, bridgeport, ironworker and other misc equip, wire the shop for 3 ph maybee even for 440 volt

I have a CP 200 and it is a great welder

If this is a hobby, get another single phase welder

ok i found the ebay plans that i bought, i met this guy in person too, very nice and seems like an honest guy to me, the price has changed since i got mine from him, i bought him breakfast and dropped it off at his shop because it is only a few miles from me and he gave me the cd

3 phase converter

i hope this helps

Ron

hey man i REALLY appreciate it thanks for the help i just emailed the guy and he does seem to know whats up i will be buying this from him thanks for the help guy i can always rely on you

Let us know how this works out. I would check out your local miller dealers repair guy or call miller direct and get their take on this also. If it were mine I would use your welder on a trade in for a single phase unit.
The dynasty series of TIG welders goes both ways and for a MIG it's hard to beat the new auto sets like the 180 for bang for the buck.

Dirt Rat SS

It's kind of 6 of one, and half dozen of the other in your case. It's very true that the cost of installing 3 phase outside power would be through the roof for a home owner. And the welder itself may or may not be able to be converted to 1 phase. But the use of a roto phase would allow you to use other 3 phase equipment besides the welder if you wanted to. Most older, or obsolete for industry 3 phase equipment can be obtained at scrap price. Mainly because it needs to be run on 3 phase, no other reason really. I was interested in the 3 phase convertor plans myself when I read about it on this post. Checked it out and liked what I seen, so I bought the CD. The vendor is top notch, I would vouch for him in a second. So in my opinion, if you get the roto phase plans, and build the convertor, you have a working welder, plus the option of using other 3 phase equipment. On the other hand, if you don't build the convertor, the plans could be offered along with the welder so the next possible buyer can make it go. In turn making the welder a bit more valuable, and desirable to a buyer. It would be a win win either way. Just my opinion. Sniper

I dont know much about the 3 phase thing but do know I see alot of 3phase equip I would love to have for pretty cheap...

Does this phase converter just hang out in the corner of the shop?, then I can run a few circuits off of it, or will it only handle one machine at a time? I would like to have a welder, hydraulic brake, a drill press, and possibly an iron worker, potentially running at the same time... I live in an area where I am sure there is no 3 phase around...

Latest posts

Back