Hitting the welding wall. ARRRGH

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmule

Colorado, East of the Peoples Republic of Boulder
I think I have hit a wall and am getting frustrated now.
I have been gas welding since Jr. High, stick since then, but didn't get good till about 20 yrs ago. Then went to MIG in 85 when they first came out (I think) when I was working in a body shop in H.S.
I have owned a MIG for about the last 17 years and an ARC for 22. I tend to weld at least once a week unless I am building something big. It has always been relaxing and a total enjoyment for me. I am going to try TIG next, I bought a cheapie scratch TIG setup to play with.

BUT.....

I picked up this old 5th wheel camper trailer and started rebuilding it. To do so, I bought a Lincoln 8 generator welder - for the 7018 rods I wanted to use. I have never burned 7018 because my old ARC welder is a 205amp AC unit (7014 & 6011). So I spend many a Saturday burning sticks. My flat welds are good, my vert welds suck and my upside down ones are just OK. Good enough to pass most eyes. Granted, I haven't sticked a trailer in about 8 years, but it should come back by now. The 7018s messed with me for a bit, but I figured them out. The heat seemed to require messing with a lot, I dang near burned a hole in 3/16 plate. :eek:
I have always welded to a professional level. The friend that sold me the welder owns a structural welding company and has always said my welds were better than most certified welders he employs and I MIG better than him.
So, I'm frustrated with my stick welding, grab my MIG and burn some wire. I loose it, my verts suck and it just doesn't feel right. I am sick right now, but that has never bothered me before. I just don't understand why I would be off that bad. BTW, I'm talking about welding up on the verts.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm at wits end..... I need to make the ramps, cross brace the upper level and mount the fenders. But, I'm not looking forward to it. I think I have burned about 10-12# of stick at this point.

Come back later!!!

Has anyone experienced this? I'm at wits end..... I need to make the ramps, cross brace the upper level and mount the fenders. But, I'm not looking forward to it. I think I have burned about 10-12# of stick at this point.

Mule,
That happens to me sometimes & I have learned to lay it down & come back in a day or 2. That generally works for me!

BoB

I was getting pretty stressed last night, so I broke out the plasma cutter and hacked off the remaining cleanup stuff. It was actually fun and helped some....
I've just never had this happen before. I did get hit with a flash when my helmet lightened accidentally on Tues. Maybe my eyes weren't working as good as I thought.......:confused:

I could always post a pic of my welds (If you can call them welds) to make you feel better!:D

I'm sure you were probably just a little off. Take a break, It'll come back.

I could always post a pic of my welds (If you can call them welds) to make you feel better!:D

I'm sure you were probably just a little off. Take a break, It'll come back.

DITTO, if your're feeling that bad feel free to look at some of mine. :p

don't worry, it'll come back.

My little brother welds for Pierce in Wisconsin, making those HUGE fire trucks. He says my welds don't look half bad for a blind chimp using an extension cord with exposed wires and coathangers for rods.

I take that as a compliment.

oldmule, can you post a pic of your welds?

In my opinion, 7018 rods are the best all around rod to use. It is an all position rod so that's not the problem. 7018 is very sensitive to humidity. Are you keeping the rods in an oven to keep the flux dry?

What diameter rod are you using and what is your amp setting?

This was my first endeavor on the 7018s, I am using a 5/16" rod and not storing them anywhere but the underseat of my truck. I'm also learning to use a Lincoln Ranger 8, so that has been an interesting thing too. Gastrick, it just donned on me too, that night it was raining off and on, so the humidity was pretty high. I had the rods sitting in the front of my garage, so they were out in the humidity.
I started rebuilding the trailer 3 weekends ago, which was the first time back on ARC after an 8 year-ish- hiatus. I was doing fine up till I did this post. Which, I did end up backing off of working on it. I will get back after it Sunday night. I have to use the trailer next week in KS to pick up my 30 model A body and frame. My problem on the verts was excess buildup that made a ridge. My friend looked at it and said it wasn't hot enough. It also didn't help that I was welding a new 3/4" thick plate to an old piece of painted 5" C channel and had forgotten to grind the work area clean. I guess I just wasn't paying attention, fatigue had set in. I guess us home shop welders can't put in the time that the pros do without loosing it.

I hope this doesn't happen again.... I need to stick to the MIG and leave the ARC to the REAL welders out there. Or go back to school and learn to be a real welder. I have never been embarrassed by my welds before, it's a very humbling situation.

Thanks for all the votes of confidence and support.

Last edited:
Oldmule, Moister can be a problem. In your opening post you mentioned you almost burnt thought a 3/16 plate. Later you said your using a 5/16 7018 rod. 5/16 is way to big for 3/16 plate or 5” channel. The smaller the rod the more control. Practice with some 3/32 then move up to 1/8. 1/8 should be sufficient for the job you have. I run 1/8 7018 from 90 to about 105 amps. Get comfortable and adjust amps. to your speed.
70XX series rod likes clean metal. If you have a lot rust, paint, or oil in places you can’t clean. Try 1/8 6011 at 85-90 amps ( DC ) it has great penetration but is a dirtier rod but will cut thought corruption because of its
silicon based flux. Compared to the iron powder flux 7018. Hope this helps.

These guys have you on the right track. Dry rods are a must esp 70 series. Let me give you a couple of ways to get back into the swing of this stuff. Run a couple of down hills to get the feel for it. Another thing is practice with a 6011/ 6013, clean it up and run 7018 right over it. ( hot) you will get it, no doubt.

I wouldn't have used the 5/16 other than it was free (about a 12# handfull).... I'm still getting use to my Ranger 8 unit too, first gas powered welder.

I would have preferred an 1/8" rod. I am actually out of the 5/16 and was going to pick up some 1/8" 6011 and 7018 today. I have to finish the trailer tonight to use it tomorrow. I have 3 axles (2 9" pozies & 1 12 bolt ), 3 engines (corvair, SBC, 44 Stude FH6), a 50 F2 and a bunch of misc parts to pick up. Then on Wed I head to KS to get my 30 A Frankenstein body and frame.

PS,
My whole welding life I have either used 6011 or 7014 from 3/32 to 1/8, most being the 7014 @ 1/8". Remember, up till now I had an OLD AC welder.

Sounds like your going to do just fine. Just a mater of getting used to the Ranger 8 ( a very good machine ).
Good luck on your road trip. Post some pics of the 30 when you get it home.

Pics are easy,
this is what it looked like when I pulled it out of the weeds.

100_1485.jpg

100_1487.jpg

the one thing

i didn't see on the great info that was given was the 7018 dc rods like reverse polarity (spelling). when it is right and the amps are right it doesn't have alot of splater, and can lay some fine beads.

Latest posts

Back