Ring Roller

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
Today I want to bring up ring rollers. I know some of you have them in your shops, some of you have probably built them. They are handy for a fabricator, and make turning out circles, and arcs.
I bought mine. I was in a rush for a project I was working on, and short on time. It would be easy to build one, and if some one wants I will give a detailed look at mine for a pattern.
You've seen the one on American Chopper that looks like a ships wheel. Mine has about a 30 inch handle. I have built alot of things with mine, like steering wheels, spider webs, spiral staircase parts, chandeliers, tons of small parts. They make dies for all kinds of materials too.

Attachments

• shop ring roller.jpg
    shop ring roller.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 164
cool roller Bonehead .. I'd like to see some detail shots if you have time of how it works i'd like to build one

I thought I would show you guys some of the projects I have made that involved my ringroller. Not really car related, and I can't believe how many projects I have used it on. Here are only a few.

Attachments

• 6 feet tall 4 feet widechand.jpg
    6 feet tall 4 feet widechand.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 45
  • bikecyclebench2.jpg
    bikecyclebench2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 50
  • cody45.jpg
    cody45.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 40
  • mica chandelier.jpg
    mica chandelier.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 41
  • clock.jpg
    clock.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 56
Here are some more.

Attachments

• bubbas chandelier sheet A.jpg
    bubbas chandelier sheet A.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 43
  • rose bench.jpg
    rose bench.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 46
  • train bench2.jpg
    train bench2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Triceribench.jpg
    Triceribench.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 055_Chandelier.jpg
    055_Chandelier.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 38
Okay back to the thread....

You can see the ring roller in the backgound. Basically it is a small piece of I beam in a box. The rectangular frame is made to fit around the I beam pretty snug. There is a hydrolic jack between the top of the frame and the I beam. The top roller is attached to the beam which can move up and down in the frame. The bottom two rollers are attached to the frame. The handle is built onto sprockets on the back which drives the two bottom rollers with a chain. So the shafts that come off the bottom two rollers go all the way through the frame and have sprockets on them. The handle is attached to a sprocket which drives the other sprockets with a roller chain.

The rollers themselves have groves across them kind of like the edge of a dime. This gives them traction to pull the steel through.

Attachments

• round vanity2nd try.jpg
    round vanity2nd try.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Wow!

Bonehead,
Thanks for that... I've never heard of such but can see where that would be a great tool to have!

BoB

I built this thing a while back and had to have the main sections bent for me. The main beams are 4 1/2 inch OD schedule 40 pipe. They were bent on a giant version of what I have. They have a about a 25 foot span.

Attachments

• 1arch1.jpg
    1arch1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I'd like to have one of those. It's one of those tools that I probably wouldn't use all that often but when it's needed, there's no real replacement for it.

I check out all of that cool stuff that you make on your website every so often Bonehead. Very impressive indeed.

Thanks Gastrick, That means alot coming from a craftsman such as your self.

Here is a homemade Ring roller. It is a little big but looks like it would work.

Attachments

• ringrooler3.jpg
    ringrooler3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 86
Very nice Bonehead my wife really liked the train. Kinda got me in trouble showing them to her now she wants one lol

I am going to sneak in one more of my favorite oddball machines in here. This is how I built my seats. The tool is a rebar-bender but it makes great driveshaft loops, and will bend 3/4 inch solid bar in a 90 degree or 180 in about 2 seconds. It comes with an assortment of rollers to change the arc of the bend. This is an extremely powerful, (and dangerous) machine.
When I am not using it for fun, I use it nearly daily in fabrication.

Attachments

• Rbender.jpg
    Rbender.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Rbender2.jpg
    Rbender2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Rbender3.jpg
    Rbender3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 56
wow

Bone, you my man are a true fabricator, you truly have a great imagination and the know how to see the project to the end.....can i follow you around a day or two and learn a little..i say this because i am so scared to do something in fear that i will screw it up..lol

Thanks Banjoman. I love working with steel for that reason. Mistakes are easy to fix. You cut a 2x4 too short, throw it away. Steel on the other hand just weld right back up.

Neat equipment. Sure beats my method of bending steel using clamped down pulleys and other round stuff, and heating them cherry red. :D:D

Tools really do make the job so much better and easier. Nice things you have built too Bonehead, very artsy and professional looking.

Don

Attachments

• driveshaft hoop 003.jpg
    driveshaft hoop 003.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 52
  • driveshaft hoop 004.jpg
    driveshaft hoop 004.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 48
  • driveshaft hoop 005.jpg
    driveshaft hoop 005.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 33
  • driveshaft hoop 001.jpg
    driveshaft hoop 001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 42
bonehead - awe machines and equally awesome work. You are a true artist..:D

And don - you are a true poor working mans hero.. I need to make a couple of your tools.. I think I can afford a pulley or two.

ring roller

Bonehead - can your ring roller handle square tubing?
I'm thinking 11ga X 1" X 1".
Fred

Yes and no, 3/4 inch works the best, it makes a smooth bend. 1 inch starts to take the tubing out of a square, and kind of bell shapes a little. I built a 15 foot arch with 1 inch and it was okay, but the smaller bends are not so good. 3/4 inch makes a 18 inch circle in good shape. The make dies for angle iron, but I built my own gizzmo to tweak on angle iron.

Latest posts

Back