Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ladder bar look like they needed a lot of modification. All looks great. I am holding all comments on your rear end and the Bantam too.[cl:eek::eek:

Those ladder bars are not the same size and shape. Had to mess with them to get them the same side to side Pretty close now.

I made a panhard bar and mount today and removed all the wood from the body. Finish welded the firewall extension too.

Last edited:
Pan Hard bar and shocks look real clean there Bob. [;)

Im thinking more in the 750 HP range for that BBC with some nice ignition, carburation and a little more cam.[cl[cl:D:D

My friend Terry, Tator here on RRR, thought the ladder bars were going to flex up close to the mounting point at the axle. There's no cross bracing in that area and the engine should produce 500HP. I welded a stiffening plate in that area.
The body is at Jerry the Sandblaster's where it will get a coat of epoxy primer after blasting.
Waiting for urethane bushings from Summit for the front of the ladder bars, then I can finish the rear suspension.
My friend Jim drove all the way up from Atlanta to deliver a pair of vintage Beechcraft light plane seats. They might work in the Bantam.

I ain't no expert on Beachcraft seats, but that Bantam will fly for sure.

Peddle to the metal !!!!!!!!!!!! [cl[cl[cl

Nice mods to your ladder bars. [;)

I got the correct urethane bushings from Summit so was able to finish the installation of the ladder bars. Made the front brackets out of 3/16" by 3" flat stock with 9/19" bolts. All the suspension is done.

Oh boy, I don't want this thing to fly. I want it to stay firmly anchored to the ground.

Well Bob, if you don't want it to fly you better drop a fresh "old school 327 in that hot rod" cause that BBC should pull the wheels at the first stop light ( sorry I meant stop sign in your great woods area). [cl[cl:D:D:cool:

Stopped at the steel yard today and got 42 feet of 1 5/8" and 20 feet of 1 1/4" tubing for the Bantam roll cage. All for only $128.00. The body is still at Jerry the sandblaster's. I'm building this thing to go 10.00 sec in the quarter mile so the chassis and roll cage does not need to be certified.

Pretty exciting stuff, looking at tubing on the floor.;)

Tom, I'm pretty sure it won't get many road miles. It won't be a comfortable ride.

Last edited:
Bob, it may not be your most comfortable ride, but it will get lots of thumbs up on the street and be a ball cruising to your local hang outs to have coffee with the guys.:D:eek:

Stopped at the steel yard today and got 42 feet of 1 5/8" and 20 feet of 1 1/4" tubing for the Bantam roll cage. All for only $128.00. The body is still at Jerry the sandblaster's. I'm building this thing to go 10.00 sec in the quarter mile so the chassis and roll cage does not need to be certified.

Pretty exciting stuff, looking at tubing on the floor.;)

Tom, I'm pretty sure it won't get many road miles. It won't be a comfortable ride.

If I had to guess, it will be quicker than you think.

I knew a guy that had a T altered based on an old funny car chassis that he bought cheap. He was running high 8's with a hydraulic cammed 396. Light weight goes a long way towards a quick ET.

Picked up the body today. Sometimes when I get a body sandblasted lots of unpleasant surprises are exposed. I'm pretty happy with the Bantam body.

Yes Flipper, I expect it will go quicker than I want to go. Hafta put a block under the gas pedal.

Came across this one while browsing and thought you might like it.

Attachments

• bantam.jpg
    bantam.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Back