Aluminum Fab woes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbean

hey guys

i have been racking my brain on how to fab an aluminum cone. I am looking to fab an aluminum cone with an 8inch diameter opening on the larger end, a 4inch diameter opening on the smaller end, and standing 5inches in height.

is this possible? please comment and give me some insight into this delima

thanks,
Doug

Doug,

If your looking at a velocity stack, they are made by the process of metal spinning. Google the subject and you should see something on the matter. Also, check out www.lindsaybks.com they have books on the subject, I bought a couple from them awhile back. They cover a lot of real intresting subjects, that you just can't get info on anywhere else. Sniper

Doug,
Fabbing a cone is not an easy process. The best way is to make four flat pieces, roll them and then weld them together. The drawing below is to scale-save the pdf, then print it out and cut four pieces. Tape them together and you should end up with a paper model that is something close to what you want. You may need to make some modifications to make it work perfectly.

View attachment 4x8x5stack.pdf

thanks guys for the info. Sniper do you know of any companies that do affordable metal spinning?

thanks guys for the info. Sniper do you know of any companies that do affordable metal spinning?

I guess the short answer would be no. I've been going to give it a shot, but I don't have a lathe set up for it yet, so I'm not much help at this time. I would think any commercial business would be automated to do 100's or even 1000's of the same piece. So to do 1 or 2 pieces would cost quite a bit just in set up fees. The buck or form would have to be made, that alone just time wise would get expensive to have done by someone else. This is more of a "do it yourself" deal if your looking at a low number of units. Might be a business opportunity brewing here.;) Sorry Doug, other than finding it interesting, and buying some books on the subject, I haven't went any farther with it. Sniper

Latest posts

Back