I can't stop this thing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

This little s10 i bought is turning into a headache. I've drove hundreds of cars and trucks with manual brakes but i swear it takes everything i have to stop this truck. The pedal is really firm, i should say really hard, pads and shoes are new but it dont want to stop. You can't enjoy a car that wears you out pushing the brake pedal. Even with the 3500 stall converter it still wants to creep at stops. Kinda feels like someone is spraying wd40 on the rotors while your driving. I didn't take the pads off to see what they are made of,but could it possibly be that they are ceramic? I've heard ceramic pads on manual brakes don't work real well. It don't want to stop even after the pads get hot. The guy who built this truck over did everything so i have a suspicion he bought the most expensive brake pads thinking they had to be better because they cost more. It could be something else I'm overlooking though.

booster ok? is there any vacuum left with the hot cam?
Also, when the po did some crazy stops with brand new pads they could have glazed up... no decent stopping after that

edit; ok... manual brakes...

Stick, I drove a hotrod for quite a few years with manual master cylinder operating front discs. It was a very annoying time. Finally, I wised up and put a power brake system in the truck and Whooo-boy, did it ever come alive for me. The brakes were very nice after that. You don't have to push those front pads very far to stop the wheels, but you have to push them awfully hard. Put a power brake system in your truck, ---- before you get into trouble with those old manuals.

You have my attention. My V8 S10 that looks like a 39 Ford is about ready to roll. Hope my manual brakes work for me.

My V8 Maverick had manual disc brakes, never had any problem with a hard pedal or stopping. It probably has teh wrong Master cylinder as suggested, a power one instead of a manual. I would go to a yard and get the master and booster and everything to change it out to power. If the vacuum is to low to run a booster, you can get a aux booster can for reserve vacuum. Summit sells them.

Im going to power brakes. I plan on looking around this weekend for a parts truck that i can take the parts off myself. Other than the brakes and gear drives, i love driving this little truck. The 5 point harness took some getting used to but while putting it on, it gives the truck time to warm up. If the truck was originally manual brakes, is the proportioning valve the same as power brakes?

Latest posts

Back