Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
Builder Junky!

Dozer, I imagine that the smaller you make the symbol the harder it is to make. I don't have to make the one on the tailgate anymore, that's handled, but I want to make some in my hubcaps. Tricky, huh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1460.jpg (69.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1594.jpg (110.6 KB, 15 views)
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I agree totally MM. The hub caps might be almost impossible on a regular bead roller. Might be possible to do them with a negative pattern like I did the Dodge Stars on the running boards.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerII View Post
I agree totally MM. The hub caps might be almost impossible on a regular bead roller. Might be possible to do them with a negative pattern like I did the Dodge Stars on the running boards.
That was my though as well Dozer.
Carve it into some good hard rock maple or oak and start going at it with a hammer and rounded off punch or a variety of shaped hardwood pieces.

Torchie
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
That was my though as well Dozer.
Carve it into some good hard rock maple or oak and start going at it with a hammer and rounded off punch or a variety of shaped hardwood pieces.

Torchie
I was thinking something like this, but using an air hammer to do the pounding. Don't know if that is really doable, but that is what popped into my little pea brain.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Builder Junky!

All good food for thought, guys. I still have a good bit of time to think on this conundrum.
Old Today, 03:01 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Louvers

I'm sure someone has thought of this before me, but I haven't seen a thread on it. The box that I am building behind the Cnotch is going to house my battery, compressor and air tank. It has to be vented to the outside for obvious reasons. The ends of the box will be indirectly open to below the frame so I thought putting some down facing louvers in the end panels would be the best approach, but how to do them. There are some expensive options and I thought about cutting some out of an old hood and welding them in. Then I stared looking at the bead roller and came up with this method that worked out way better than I expected.

Lay out the lines for your louver, this will be the cut line for an .045 zip cut disc. On my 1/2"bead dies I needed to add a guide line 1/8 inch left of the cut line to follow as I'm rolling. Extend your end of cut lines well past the end of your cut and guide lines so they are easy to see as you come to the end of each louver.
Because of the cuts in the sheet there is virtually no panel distortion. I think this would have all kinds of possibilities, I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure you could even make curved louvers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize of Louvers 002.jpg (68.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Resize of Louvers 003.jpg (59.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Resize of Louvers 004.jpg (65.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Resize of Louvers 005.jpg (77.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Resize of Louvers 006.jpg (70.4 KB, 3 views)

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.