'47 Ford Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70Newport

So it has finally started to make a bit of progress. Thanks to everyone who helped me through some good and bad ideas and a big thanks to BillM for the front suspension design idea.

I will post as often as I can but being a golf pro in Canada my time is about to be very limited but I will update any chance I get and Im sure I will be begging for more advice as I go along!

Thanks again,

Gary

Attachments

• RR1.jpg
    RR1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 72
  • RR2.jpg
    RR2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 68
Im now in the process of figuring out how to get it as low as possible, hopefully without cutting apart the frame and building the crossmember to mount the spring to. Then its just mounts for the back end of my radius rods and front suspension is complete! On to motor/transmission mounts and rear suspension!

looks good so far! some different tires would drop it some

Yeah Different wheels and tires will happen for sure. Planning to do a disk brake kit on it as eventually the plan is to do a twin turbo kit on the 327 for something different.

well I think thats the problem all of us have haha

Yeah, wrong profession and wrong hobby for living up north of the border lol

Im now in the process of figuring out how to get it as low as possible, hopefully without cutting apart the frame and building the crossmember to mount the spring to. Then its just mounts for the back end of my radius rods and front suspension is complete! On to motor/transmission mounts and rear suspension!

What's going on here? Your axle is three feet behind the spring perch. [S

What's going on here? Your axle is three feet behind the spring perch. [S

The guy that started this frame was a little off in a lot of his measurements and the front end would be way too long there. After I weld in my new perch and cross member that will be getting cut off.

Newport.... if you use colored balls you wouldn't have to spend
so much time looking for them in the snow...;):D[ddd
Hope you find some more time for the project, it's looking good..

[cl[cl

[P[P

Newport.... if you use colored balls you wouldn't have to spend
so much time looking for them in the snow...;):D[ddd
Hope you find some more time for the project, it's looking good..

[cl[cl

[P[P

Colored balls and some tracks on the back of this build and I would be good to go year round!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! ill be working on it again this weekend for sure! seeing a bit of progress has me HIGHLY motivated!

The guy that started this frame was a little off in a lot of his measurements and the front end would be way too long there. After I weld in my new perch and cross member that will be getting cut off.

I see.

Im now in the process of figuring out how to get it as low as possible, hopefully without cutting apart the frame and building the crossmember to mount the spring to.

You need to be more specific. Are you planning a suicide front end (like the previous owner planned) or conventional "axle under frame"? Since you're cutting the front off, you're options are endless, depending which way you want to fly...

So I welded in a brace so I can build my crossmember/spring perch right onto the frame and cut off the excess part way through. I have the front and back for the crossmember cut and ready to go on. Just need to build the top, bottom and perch. All 1/4” thick steel plate should be good and solid.

Because I built the plates to have the spring in front of the axle it won’t be a true suicide front end placement but it will be kind of in between from my way of thinking. But some will probably say it’s basically just traditional style.

Attachments

• 1D108664-D596-4048-8FFB-08B215BE5DE0.jpg
    1D108664-D596-4048-8FFB-08B215BE5DE0.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 41
Finished the spring perch, gave the frame a fairly significant haircut and set the engine in place to get an idea of where it’s final home will be.

Attachments

• DC9F939E-470B-40D5-B537-83BF4A58FE6F.jpg
    DC9F939E-470B-40D5-B537-83BF4A58FE6F.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 323FF8CE-FB69-4D44-B30A-8E14D6A43061.jpg
    323FF8CE-FB69-4D44-B30A-8E14D6A43061.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back