1955 F600, heavy duty build.......with a bus.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hook Loader or maybe a hitch and tow setup [S
Wonder if you're gonna build a second rig and have both JM. As I recall, you have three busses. :D [ddd

Here’s a quick render I did with a bunch of copy/paste to show 2’ longer wheelbase. Of course, the bed would be legnthen 2’ as well.
This provides a 16’ flat bed.

The first picture is how the truck sits now.
The second is proposed 2’ stretch.

Attachments

• CAA6B356-6FEC-4709-9FB3-35C71CB0BD6D.jpg
    CAA6B356-6FEC-4709-9FB3-35C71CB0BD6D.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 27
  • 8DCD3AF9-AE9A-47EA-BDE8-7BE5F4659E8B.jpg
    8DCD3AF9-AE9A-47EA-BDE8-7BE5F4659E8B.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 24
I apologize to the guys who enjoy reading up and viewing photos of builds, but I feel like this one is going to be more of a video update style build. I feel like I can get more across though a video then I can with text and pictures.

With that in mind, I’m awaiting my terrible internet connection to complete the video of the progress today.
I managed to talk a neighbor into coming over to pull the body off with me.
I got it all prepped last night after work. Basically an hour of pulling all the body clips, then lifted each corner with a high lift jack and putting blocks between the frame and body to make sure everything was broke free.

This morning he showed up with his fork lift and in about 10 minutes, we had it lifted off.
Video of this process is much more fun then photos anyways :)
Once this finishes uploading, I’ll post the link for you to sit back and enjoy.
There really aren’t many videos online of bus bodies being removed, so I figured I’d contribute to help fill the need.
Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 1BEE3ADC-4B6E-4DCA-80F9-F216EA7D5B61.jpg
    1BEE3ADC-4B6E-4DCA-80F9-F216EA7D5B61.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 33
  • A7E67DBC-4E48-4042-92D7-CEB230893C10.jpg
    A7E67DBC-4E48-4042-92D7-CEB230893C10.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 30
  • B3CA6F11-A8C3-478C-B465-8A08E31D1D4D.jpg
    B3CA6F11-A8C3-478C-B465-8A08E31D1D4D.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 31
Nice neighbors! I'm just happy that my neighbors tolerate my over crowded back yard. After 20 years at Freightliner writing the procedures on how to work on these critters, all that truck frame stuff almost gets me nostalgic for my per-retirement days. Almost, but not really. All the trucks I worked with were shiny and new. It's fun watching your transformation. :D

Nice neighbors! I'm just happy that my neighbors tolerate my over crowded back yard. After 20 years at Freightliner writing the procedures on how to work on these critters, all that truck frame stuff almost gets me nostalgic for my per-retirement days. Almost, but not really. All the trucks I worked with were shiny and new. It's fun watching your transformation. :D

This is an adventure for sure.
I didn’t really want 1 bright yellow bus sitting in front of my house for too long, let alone 3!
I got rid of 1 so we’re down to two, so that’s good. Except now the 1 isn’t really a bus anymore 🤣 a chassis and a pile of bus colored metal.

This is my first rodeo with commercial size stuff, so it’s exciting for me. Trying to keep the entire chassis and driveline al minimally modified as possible. No welding between the axles. As little drilling as I can get away with. I’d like this thing to be professionally done.

that aint just a forklift, that there is a telehandler [cl[cl I have a teeny little forklift and its a game changer.

keep it up!

I've done that little dance a time or two mtself. [ddd :D:D Not so sure I could move that fast anymore, though. Then again, I'd likely find the inspiration if a bus was about to fall on me.

What you have now is what the factory sends to be bus body builder.

I think I have some old Freightliner driveline documentation somewhere on my hard drive. If I can find it, I'll send it to you if you like. There is very good information in the driveline section on here, also. Yours looks like a fun puzzle.

Great progress!

I've done that little dance a time or two mtself. [ddd :D:D Not so sure I could move that fast anymore, though. Then again, I'd likely find the inspiration if a bus was about to fall on me.

What you have now is what the factory sends to be bus body builder.

I think I have some old Freightliner driveline documentation somewhere on my hard drive. If I can find it, I'll send it to you if you like. There is very good information in the driveline section on here, also. Yours looks like a fun puzzle.

Great progress!

To be completely honest with you, I had no freakin clue how I was gonna take the bus apart or how I was gonna accomplish this build. But then I saw a video on how busses are made and saw the rolling chassis driving around with just the hood and cowl. At that point it all came together. I started digging and could see there they had large connectors for the wiring that split at the bottom of the firewall. Isolation valves for the heater lines.
It all made sense.
Honestly, these things are surprisingly easy to break apart.
I suspect most commercial stuff is since all the chassis are designed to support multiple bodies on them. Kinda makes everything universal.
MUCH easier than civilian cars and trucks that are each designed specifically for that make and model only. And obviously have much more technology crammed in much smaller spaces.

I’ve always thought the “Diesel Brothers” were amazing for choosing an oddball canvas like commercial trucks.........but now I see they were just going the easy route out ��

This might have opened a whole new door for me in building larger stuff, for fun :D

Last edited:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Big stuff is fun. The biggest Machine I ever worked on was an old steam Locomotive. But all I did was help scrape and paint.:D
[P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back