Started wrenching on my 51 f-1 today!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

There's no turning back now!

My 16 year old son and I started the process of tearing down my 51 f-1 cab today. We took out all the glass which was already far gone a long time ago. We taped up the windshield and rear window with heavy duct tape on both sides and decided to just break the glass to speed up it's removal. My son thought it was the coolest thing to put on a pair of heavy welding gloves and a pair of full goggles and then break all the glass with a large rubber mallet. It all came out in one big floppy piece pretty easy and the clean up was minimal. Then we moved on to the dry rotted wiring which consisted of all of it and essentially anything and everything else that is either rusted through and almost gone. We found our fair share of 30 year old rat nests. There were plenty of other things beyond repair or otherwise in the way as well. We started this morning by stripping the firewall of all it's various electrical components. Then we moved on to the heater box and then to everything under and behind the dash itself with the exception of the gauges. Thats next weekends adventure. Then we both stepped through the floor boards on both sides and then cut out everything we could. That didn't leave much but whats left under the seat. I knew this truck was bad off but now I'm totally convinced that the only thing holding it together is 100% Ford brand iron oxide. What a bomb! Then we stripped the doors of what turned out to be very old 1/4" thick plexiglass that had fallen completely down inside the doors once the window regulators gave way some years ago. We also removed the vent window frames. We finished up the day by removing the gas tank from behind the seat. It was comical! I checked it along time ago for signs of any gas because you never know and near as I could tell there was nothing but dirt and plenty of rust in there - I was right. The filler neck broke off in my hand as we pulled the tank loose from the body and when we began to lift the tank up and out, it just gave way and the bottom completely disintregated filling my driveway and shoes with about 2 lbs. of really rusty dirt, old walnut shells and rats nests. :eek: The expression on my sons face was priceless! :eek: He said, "Your sure about this right?" I said, "100% you'll see!" I have to give it to him. He's not had much interest in this project until just lately and he's been out there taking charge of things. I'm really proud of him!
It's a great feeling having your kid there with you just as excited as you are about seeing this truck get built. I'm truly grateful for that! Next week we'll start in on removing the bench seat and the gauges and then the real work will begin and I'll have some pictures - I promise!!!

Thunder1

That's great T-1. It's good to see your son showing an interest too. I'm still working on getting mine interested. Maybe they'll come around eventually. Congrats on getting the project underway.

Sounds like you and your son had a really cool bonding experience today. Tearing your truck apart is always a dirty job but is a necessary evil . It's when you can assess what you got to work with. Good luck with your build and have fun with it. :)

Thanks Guys!! The comments from the both of you mean alot to me. Your both people I have a lot of respect for because of the way you both inspire guys like me with your talents and willingness to share them. Yes, he and I had a great time! He's starting to take a big interest actually. We have a weekly "Saturday Night Cruise In" about 5 miles from my house that I've been going to for about three months every Saturday night. Almost 300 cars last weekend and last night both!!! At first he was happy to go hang out with his friends on the weekends but for about a month now he's been making plans to go to the cruise with me. When we get there he's all over the Rat Rods mostly. Asking questions and throwing out ideas. It's a fantastic thing and I'm really happy he wants to hang out with his old man and do car stuff. He'll help keep me going through the tough times and that motivates me even more.

Thanks again for the good words guys!

Thunder1

My thoughts exactly Earthman! FINALLY!!!!!! I ordered a sticker from Bonehead's site last week that says "Don't look back" That sticker is going in my truck. That's also how I'm approaching my build from now on. The truck aint gonna build itself. I just gotta get busy and do it. Thanks for the comment! Come to think of it, I think I'll put the word "Finally" somewhere too! lol! Without the inspiration I get from all of you here my truck most likely wouldn't even be sitting out back waiting to get built. I sincerely appreciate all you dedicated RRR members! Especially the ones I've known here and on KB for the past couple of years. I owe all you guys a huge thanks for helping to keep this alive in me.

Thunder1

Last edited:
I am having a hard time keeping my son in the shop on a project, but he gets his license in a year, and we have to build a truck, so I have to start soon. The hardest part is I am competing with 15 year old girls for his time. Sounds like you have this one covered.. good luck not only with the build, but the hard part.... the 16 year old.
Hope you get us some pictures soon.
(Hope the sticker works out for you too, and thank you)

Good to hear from you Bonehead! Your Welcome! Yes, having a 16 year old is a real experience alright. We've been through very much the same thing except it seems like he's sort of put the females on hold for a while. Good grades and cool cars seem to be his thing for now and I'm fine with that. I'll get some pictures of the 51 this week and get them posted. This old truck sure isn't much to look at right now but I have hope for it. I should be getting my Bonehead order soon. I bought a shirt plus the sticker and have plans to get a few more of each before long. I'm really looking forward to getting the shirt especially. - "It's done when it runs!"

Thunder1

Kool!!!

T1,
Kool...glad to hear about the Father/Son project. I love the times my Dad & I spent together workin' on cars. That's where I got the addiction!!! :D:D:D

BoB

Sounds like you and the boy are having way too much fun there. :D The times I spend with my Sons in the shop are some of the best I've ever had. For that bit of time you become just two Buddies and relate on a whole different level than the normal Dad/Son thing. It allows your Son to become your equal for a little while...........and after a while you become the one learning from him! :eek:

Post up some pictures when you can.

Don

Can't wait till you post some pics. I wished i could get my son into these kinda rides instead of that race car but i guess its my fault he is doing what i did when i was his age. Man if i could just rewind time i'd skip racing and go straight to hotrods

Thanks fella's and your right Don. He and I are on a totally different level now. We're great buddies instead of just being father & son largly because of all this. The truck is a common thread between us and thats a great thing. Unfortunately alot of dads don't have something to share in with their kids. I've been trying to get him into cars for a long time and well I guess it has finally taken hold. Although my Dad was always into cars he is strictly a bone stock classic and antique car fanatic. I got plenty of time in the garage learning under the hood of several really beautiful cars but I could never get him into hotrods. Nothing wrong with the classics etc.. but I always knew I wanted a hotrod someday. Now to be doing something about it with my own son makes me really proud. Here's a scary thought - he's gonna want to drive it all the time when it's finally on the road and I'll be lucky to just sit in it. I guess if he helps build it he will have earned the right. Afterall, it's not just mine, it's ours!

Thunder1

There is a side benefit too, Thunder. I never had one worry the whole time my Sons were growing up about drugs, booze, or getting into trouble. Every cent they earned went into their rides and I knew where they were most nights of the week.:) And yes, when it's done he is going to want his fair share of seat time!! :D:D:D

Don

Good point Don. That's my sincere hope too. That also goes hand in hand with having something in common with your kids and sharing the love and interest for something you all enjoy so much and spending time together doing it. It keeps the bonds strong and the trust between us where it should be. I think thats got alot to do with how all this came to be in the first place. We've always been a close family and we've raised the kids to be with us. We've always gone places and done things together so much that he expects it to be that way. The hotrod will hopefully keep that alive as he grows older.

Thunder

Builds like that are always good. Me & my boys may not be into the same style of rides but, we can talk cars/trucks/bikes. Whenever they get stuck they still ask the 'ol man for assistance. They even bounce ideas off me for their modern stuff. Tho, the youngest (25) is starting to gravitate older into the Muscle Car era.

Here's a scary thought - he's gonna want to drive it all the time when it's finally on the road and I'll be lucky to just sit in it. I guess if he helps build it he will have earned the right. Afterall, it's not just mine, it's ours!

T1,
Quit thinkin' about drivin' his car!!! :D:D:D

BoB

No, he's already totally taken over my GMC daily driver! The 51 is ours and he'll have driving privileges!!! If he can find where I hide the keys!! lol!!!!

Thunder1

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, my son is already talking about the next one he wants us to build and we haven't even really started on the first one yet! I think I've created a monster!!! All I can say is - He better start looking for a good paying job!!

Thunder1

Look for my truck pictures by Sunday. I'll be out in the morning doing some more "tear down" on it! The old dry rotted bench seat and the gauges are all thats left to get out. However, the bolts holding the seat brackets to the floor are rusted beyond ever turning again. Since its coming out anyway I've already punched out the steel around the brackets with a cold chisel but these brackets are tough and the seat is still in there. Sure wish I had a Sawz-all. HMMMMM!!!! Sounds like just the excuse I've been looking for to go buy one!!

Thunder1

Latest posts

Back