Different rod idea

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch's bus

Guess u saw Von Dutch's bus sold 4 very cheap @ Barrett Jackson, I think like $24K. Hell, when some of his other personal stuff sold for outrageous $$$ I was shocked @ the final price. Someone stole it as far as I was concerned! It had lots off his tools & a his fridge was pinstriped & still worked!

BoB

I saw that pic somewhere else. Talk about being a pain in the butt to fill up:eek: you would have to refinance the house to do that...
YOUCH...

Guess u saw Von Dutch's bus sold 4 very cheap @ Barrett Jackson, I think like $24K. Hell, when some of his other personal stuff sold for outrageous $$$ I was shocked @ the final price. Someone stole it as far as I was concerned! It had lots off his tools & a his fridge was pinstriped & still worked!

BoB

Everybody was surprised that the bus brought hardly anything. Even had bullet holes where Von Dutch tested the guns he built. :eek: I think the shear size of the thing kept the price low...............where would you put it?

Don

In storage!

Everybody was surprised that the bus brought hardly anything. Even had bullet holes where Von Dutch tested the guns he built. :eek: I think the shear size of the thing kept the price low...............where would you put it?

Don

Don,
I would have put it in storage at least. This thing should be in a museum somewhere & I'm sure whoever bought it could not believe their good luck. It was packed with all kinds of his personal stuff. HOW cool would it be to put his personally pinstriped fridge in your home or business!?!?! Tell me that wouldn't make a kool "beer" fridge!!! Maybe after my wife kikked me outta the house for buying it... I could have just *moved in*!!! ; - >

BoB

Sounds like something out of "Mad Max". :eek: I dunno, might be a ruff ride if you don't have the weight that the tires are rated for.:) Big Rig Rat sounds cool though. :D

On my drive down to Indy today I drove by a huge salvage yard. It got me thinking when i saw about 20 mail jeeps all parked together. Any one ever put a body onto a t-bucket frame? It seems that it may be cool. I dunno. I guess if you could swap a v-8 into about anything it would be cool. Anyone ever try this with a jeep style body? Seems maybe a willy's overland or something like that would be really neat.

To get a little bit back on topic, FlatBroke, is this perhaps something like you had in mind? Evidently, an old 43 Ford firetruck converted to a 10' bed dually pickup. Looks like it could be a killer project.

51881323_tp.jpg

51881449_tp.jpg

on eBay

Joker,
I'm in awe at the ideas for that ford right there.
But what my idea is, to build a "traditional" or "Rat rod" with all the normal parts,(IE. deuce/bucket, or whatnot) but when it comes to wheel and tire selection, go get em' off of an old 18 wheeler. Those tires carry massive loads all day every day. The average truck driver gets 80, 90 thousand miles from a good set of say Michelin, B-stone, F-stones. Could you imagine how many miles you would be able to get on a regular hotrod...

Wouldn't the tires simply dwarf the real centerpiece (the sheetmetal) though? Not that there is anything wrong with it, I guess I just can't see it in my head.

I understand about not being able to picture it in your head and I truely don't know how to explain it. You do make a valid point about the tires dwarfing the centerpiece, but you could stretch the front and rear, maybe widen the tracking (to spread out all 4 corners) width so the massive tire size would actually compliment the center piece to a certain extent.
Like I said, I'm not good at explaining what I see in my head...
:D I think I'm the only person in the world that can see it....:D

Maybe you could get creative with a cabover of some type then so it doesn't look as odd and might it require less work than all that stretching and things? I kinda dig the look of the old 40's Chevy COEs. Maybe do a COE and a fab'd up bed of some type?

I seen several!

Joker & Flat,
I've seen it done & it can relly look good but I've also seen ones where the tires overwhelmed the truck too. I suggest u photoshop it & get the proportions down 1st.

BoB

Latest posts

Back