Bias ply trailer tires

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
Is their a reason we can't run these on our rods? They are anywhere from 6 to 10 ply and some come in 15 and 16 inch. Good looking pie crust sidewalls. The prices are one heck of a lot cheaper than Cokers.

Bruno.....I can't see why not....

Is their a reason we can't run these on our rods? They are anywhere from 6 to 10 ply and some come in 15 and 16 inch. Good looking pie crust sidewalls. The prices are one heck of a lot cheaper than Cokers.

heavy duty.....seems to me that they would work unless they are not rated to say...........100mph.....lol....:D.. the speed rating and the bias ply would be the only thing I think of that might be in question....ok fellas...who's the tire guru around here.....??

Trailer tires will NOT hold up to the sidewall pressures of steering or the torque of power being applied to them. They might hold up for awhile and bias ply might hold up better but they would ride like crap and not last. There's a reason they say "for trailer use only" on them.

I worked for Goodyear 20 some years ago. There was something about, belts a cords, being laid at a different angle so as to hold weight. They don't work long as steering or drive tires. I would not use them!

Yes, DO NOT run them on a car. They are made to go in a straight line and the sidewalls are not made for taking turns. I realize trailers take turns but not with exactly the same side forces a car puts on tires. You are asking for a tire failure if you run them on a car.

Here is just one quick search off of Google on the subject:

Basic Differences

Cars and trailers have two very different requirements. Car tires are engineered to provide traction in the forward-and-back (longitudinal) and side-to-side (lateral) directions whiles providing a comfortable ride. Trailer tires are engineered to support the weight of the trailer for many thousands of miles while not bouncing the trailer off the road, and that's about it.

Stiffness

One of the major ways in which trailer tires differ from car tires is that they have very stiff sidewalls. Those very thick sidewalls are designed to help support the trailer weight without flexing, but that lack of flexibility carries with it some inherent drawbacks. Car tires' sidewalls flex to allow more of the tire's tread to stay in contact with the road; a boon to performance but a liability where durability is concerned.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_7231387_difference-between-trailer-car-tires.html#ixzz2bWfCFCR7

Don

PS, I know SOMEONE will come on and say they have been running them for years with no problems, but some people play Russian roulette too.

There's a reason they are cheaper.....
I have been told they are made of a rubber that is less than ideal for mileage or traction, but will stand up to years of inactivity and direct sunlight that would wreck a regular car tire.
BTW, if they say "for trailer use only" on them, you can get busted for running them on a car. At least around here.

PS, I know SOMEONE will come on and say they have been running them for years with no problems, but some people play Russian roulette too.

I played that game... once.

I bought a rusty crew cab for the big block and trans. The tires and wheels were previously sold. What was available? A brand new set of trailer wheels and tires. (It's only 25 miles. No big deal, right?) I screwed them on and lit the fuse. Now, I've driven plenty of crap that doesn't belong on the road, but that one takes the cake. It drove like a wet noodle... never mind highway speed. I later drove it on proper wheels and tires, a day and night difference.

BTW, if they say "for trailer use only" on them, you can get busted for running them on a car. At least around here.

I'm from "around here" and you're right. I was in the trailer business for a number of years and I've had the discussion many times. It's a safety issue and therefore, a liability issue. The same goes vice versa... passenger tire on a trailer.

I'm all for saving a buck... but as the guys and my stunt demonstrate, the best ideas are often the worst ideas.

Question: If they can make an affordable trailer tire, why can't they make one for everything else? Somebody (on this continent) should give old Corky a run for his money. [ddd

I'm lucky if trailer tires hold up for very long on a trailer. No way will I put them on a driver. ....and I've put ridiculous tires on my trucks! (20+ yr old checked spare with rusted steel belts showing... :eek:)

Latest posts

Back