TH350 trans detent question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakota

Rides a rusted horse
I know about the older transmissions with the bar running from the carb to the transmission detent lever. If I eliminate it, it will continue to shift normally, but I have to shift to D1 or D2 to kick it down to pass someone. Does it work the same way with the TH350 transmission? I've had three different cables in there so far and all three have leaked fluid. I'd rather block it off and shift when I need to.

The TH-350 will do the same thing (for the most part) with out a detent cable.
I have a 350/350 motor and tranny in my truck, I don't have a detent cable hooked up either and the truck runs through the gears pretty quick. I plan on putting it back together real soon to see if it won't hold a gear a little bit longer and maybe get a little bit better performance out of it.

You said when you put one in yours it would leak. is there any chance you have a hairline crack in the case somewhere around there?

absolutly right lakota, the kickdown cable on my truck has been broken since i bought it. I purchase a lokar to put on but havn't done so yet because i will be switching from a edelbrock to a quadrajet and i want it the correct length for the quadrajet.

as far as performance goes, if you don't mind rowing the gears for passing then no biggie, i have a slippy column shift so thats not really an option for me. therefore if i floor it, the tranny shifts too early and the truck has no power once it's out of second gear. It probably wouldn't be that bad with a floor shift though.

i will be switching from a edelbrock to a quadrajet and i want it the correct length for the quadrajet.

Joe,
You know Holley now makes a fairly cheap Q-jet replacement that looks just like the Q. I found a rebuilt one on da Bay that worked perfectly & never leaks!

BoB

i've also seen the edelbrock version, i decided i want to go with a junk yard quadrajet, i bought a really good book that tells you the differences between years, how to rebuild them, and how to modify them for performance engines. for $100 i can get good gas mileage and performance. (it's just finding the time to go to the junkyard, pull it, and rebuild it :()

Yes it does have a modulator. The modulator controls the fluid pressure as the transmission upshifts/downshifts so that it shifts softly without a "thump". Without it the transmission shifts erratically, hesitates between gears, and BANGS into the next gear. It only smooths the kickdown. Works just like the pressure valve on household plumbing.

Ok, I've lost over a gallon of fluid messing with this thing. It's getting pulled out, tied in knots, thrown on the ground, stomped on, Pee'd on, and then I'll get my wife's son to pick it up and throw it away, (I'm not touching it after that).

The bad thing is that when you do all that to it, it will still act the same way...:mad:

only it will be tied in knots, dirty, beat up (and down) and smell like Someone Pee'd on it...:eek:

Yes it does have a modulator. The modulator controls the fluid pressure as the transmission upshifts/downshifts so that it shifts softly without a "thump". Without it the transmission shifts erratically, hesitates between gears, and BANGS into the next gear. It only smooths the kickdown. Works just like the pressure valve on household plumbing.

Ok, I've lost over a gallon of fluid messing with this thing. It's getting pulled out, tied in knots, thrown on the ground, stomped on, Pee'd on, and then I'll get my wife's son to pick it up and throw it away, (I'm not touching it after that).

Sorry....I was asking Flatbroke about his tranny.....for some reason his quote didn't show up on my post....whoops.:eek:

Latest posts

Back