questions on selling a project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

84pete

I have been driving my rat rod as a daily driver for over a year now and I think it's time for something new. I don't have room money or time for two rat rods so I want to sell my Peterbilt. The problem I have is it is waaaay to much fun to sell cheap, but I don't want to come off as the guy who thinks his shtuff is worth a fortune. My truck gets some attention where I live so it will get noticed on Craigslist by people that know me and I don't want them to think I'm trying to rip someone off or whatever.

So how about a couple honest opinions. Would I be dumb asking $11,000 for my truck? You can't hurt my feelings and I value most people's opinions on this great website.

Thanks, and here is a link to my build.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22347

I buy and sell a few vehicles and you never know what some are willing to pay, put it on eBay with good pics and start it out at your buy it now and go from there.

If it's still like the last picture that was posted I think 11k is probably double what it would bring but you never know, get it in front of as many people as possible and the market will let you know the value.

I've seen worse listed for more. List it on Ebay with your reserve at about $10K and see how it goes. I'm thinking $7500-$8500 is about what it will bring but that is just my $.02. The more you can get it exposed to people the better you will do.

I may be off on this perception, but the rat rod craze seems to have hit its peak about a year or two ago and is declining. Just saying you arent going to get as many people willing to pay top dollar for one just b/c it's the "in" thing.

I'd look on ebay/CL and see what similar trucks are going for and go from there. I don't think you can do much better than getting back what you have in parts.

Thanks for the input. I really don't want to rip anyone off and just wanted to know what you all thought would be a fair price to start at. Anyone here have, experience selling rat rods on eBay?

I sold a Model A speedster on ebay, with a "buy it now" price, which is basically just a classified ad. I had to run it a couple of times so be patient.

I'm in TX and a guy bought it from Kentucky. So it worked, as far as reaching a wide audience.

What usually ends up happening is you'll get some interested people contacting you, then you'll end up working out a deal outside of ebay over the phone, email etc.

i have to agree with Big Irish.. I feel like the rod building craze has definitely died down.. just look at this website and other I read, the amount of new builds is a fraction of what it use to be.

Doesnt matter to me if the fad is over.. cause i still enjoy it!

Good luck on your sale

With "one-off" stuff like a rat rod it's value is usually more if someone is willing to pay what your willing to accept. I know that sounds cliche' and vague but that's really the bottom line. 11k doesn't seem out of line to me, considering all of the work put into it.

Don't be afraid of "ripping someone off". If you tell the truth and they are willing to pay a high dollar for it, no foul. You'd only be screwing them if you were hiding shoddy work or talking it up with lies. If you can get 20 grand out of it honestly, go for it with no regrets.

If you list it on CL, offer to trade for something.

Put it up for what you want, you can go from there. don't worry about what people think.:) I sold my 54 Ford with a Cummings in it yesterday and the bed hasn't been finished. netted 7K on the project so you never know. now I can get back to work on my 47 Ford.[cl[cl[cl

Attachments

• IMAG0519.JPG
    IMAG0519.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0521.JPG
    IMAG0521.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0518.JPG
    IMAG0518.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back