Questions about getting started

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBailey

Hi there, my name is Jesse and I signed up here a few years back with hopes of building a rod. Well needless to say life happens and I never got a project. After getting married, buying a motorcycle, having a baby, and buying a house I think I'm ready to get something to start building on.

Last week when we went to register my stepson for school we went by a place that's always had old iron sitting in the yard (from 1900's to 1970's) and they had a sign up for an auction being held the 24th of this month. I know there is at least 8 Model As on original chassis and running gear albeit pretty rusty, but what isn't in Iowa lol. There's also a bunch of cowl sections and 40's-50's project vehicles.

So I guess my questions would be, what's a good price to get a decent A shell for? Also, what are some things to look for, anything in particular?

Thanks for ready my ramblings and any help you can offer.

What to buy ?

Just a few thoughts on how some cars get to be rods that look good and some don't . While at a show with a friend , we were looking at a particularly ugly vehicle . I mean this was ugly the day it rolled of the assembly line , I turned to my friend and said " why do you suppose this guy put all this time ,effort and money into an ugly duckling "? He turns to me and gave me the answer ," it's what he had in his garage / yard and it seemed like the way to go " . I have 2 rods in my garage right now , one is a 41 Chevy pu rat rod and the other is a 47 Chevy pu street rod . I just happen to like the those years , so I on purpose sought them out . I still , after 7 years with the 41 and 15 years with the 47 , like sitting in my garage with a cold beverage in my hand and some good tunes on the radio and just look at them . From my perspective you gotta start with something that turns you on ,or it will become just another pain in the butt money pit . A good deal - money wise - that you have to talk your self into liking will not do it for you in the long run . Also had a 85 chevy pu that I customized and put over 250 K on it and only sold it because some guy would not stop begging me to sell it to him . Always have regretted selling it . He died in a 18 wheeler truck crash and the last time I saw the 85 it had over 350K on it . Really loved that thing . This is what works for me , just my .02 .

To Each, his/her/their own.....

yep.....IAM is spot on...one mans trash is another mans treasure.....find something you like, find one as complete or solid as you can..or as your skills will allow...and have at it....good luck with your selection and please get some build thread going.....:D

Prices on model A shells is a pretty wide range, from a couple hundred for a clapped out 4 door up into the thousands. What ever you get, get something pretty complete. A 32 truck cab might sound like a helluva bargain at a few hundred until you find out how hard it is to find the doors and windshield frame, and the $$$ they cost. Stay away from the cabs with a lot of wood in them like the 36 and older Chevys.
I also think you should buy the best car you can afford to start with. I'd much rather spend $1500 for something solid than bring home the $200 bargain and put hundreds of hours into rust surgery. If everything is rusty where you live, take a vacation and go get one that isn't, you'll never regret it.

Depends on your skill set. 2 1/2 years ago I had no clue what I was doing, found a cab for $50 bucks and went to chopping. Key thing hold out for something you like.

While you are deciding what body you want it would be good to be looking for a good running doner car. I recommend a cheap and easy build for your first go-round so it doesn't sit in your garage for years. Keep us informed and good luck.

Make sure you own it! I was given a great Tudor, and began cutting and fitting. Had part of the frame cut. And welded, then got the phone call from Hell. The guy who gave me the car didn't own it. It was on his land, but was owned by his brothers in law, who reported it to the sheriff as stolen! I tried to buy it from him, but he felt it was worth much more than I did. So.... I loaded it and al, the parts and dumped them back in his field.

It was almost a year before I got a line on the one I have now. Worked out for the best, and I really like how he Terraplane turned out. Just don't give up, and take small steps. It is very satisfying.

Make sure you own it! I was given a great Tudor, and began cutting and fitting. Had part of the frame cut. And welded, then got the phone call from Hell. The guy who gave me the car didn't own it. It was on his land, but was owned by his brothers in law, who reported it to the sheriff as stolen! I tried to buy it from him, but he felt it was worth much more than I did. So.... I loaded it and al, the parts and dumped them back in his field.

It was almost a year before I got a line on the one I have now. Worked out for the best, and I really like how he Terraplane turned out. Just don't give up, and take small steps. It is very satisfying.

That just isn't right. How could you steal something that was left on your land?

Thanks guys, I have a lot more time then I do money lol , as for a donor car I'm pretty lucky as a lot of kids in my town build derby cars. They all use fords but put Chevy motors in them and since I'm a ford guy it works out great. My father in law use to race dirt track and I'm pretty sure he still has a small block c6 and a 351 Cleveland laying around in his shop that he's always trying to talk me into sticking in something.

I've always been drawn to anything from the 20-30's but really I love all of them from the 20's to the 60's. I really want a 20-30's car or a 20-40's truck and the make doesn't matter so long as I can stick my 9inch under it and have some ford power lol.

I think I'm going to the town where the estate auction will be held tonight so I'll do a drive by again and check out what's there for sure. If I have time I'll stop and gets some pics so you guys can see what's there and give me more help.

Thanks for all the info so far, its been a great help already!

I should also add that I'm very mechanically inclined, if I don't know how to do I will learn. My thought has always been if someone else can do it then so can I lol. I'm not against rust repair but I don't want a project where the bottom half of the car is rotted away to almost nothing.

I should also add that I'm very mechanically inclined, if I don't know how to do I will learn. My thought has always been if someone else can do it then so can I lol. I'm not against rust repair but I don't want a project where the bottom half of the car is rotted away to almost nothing.

You are in the right place, this is the greatest place for helpful people learning, teaching and been there done that kind of help!

So my next question is, what should I be looking for in a front axle? Should I stay away from model T front axles? Yes I know speedway and I'm sure other places sell new kits but, that's not near as fun or cool lol. Thanks for the help so far.

before you buy any car do you have a place to work on it? and i don,t mean your car port:rolleyes: lot,s of times the project will stall for a while and you can,t have neihbours complaining about the "junk" in your yard or the family member who gets tired of looking at it in there yard just saying:)

Yes, I have a 1 and a half car garage to hide it in lol. My wife already complains about all my junk in the yard.

I went with a Speedway front axle setup. New spindles, bearings, rotors and disk brakes. I wanted new so I knew I cold stop. It went together easily, and is working great. Very satisfied.

Thanks for verifying earthman. I will keep looking then. I would just get a speedway axle but, to me a rat rod should be built from repurposed original parts. I don't like shining new parts lol, with the exception of the brake components.

Latest posts

Back