Questions about getting started

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used an early econoline axle-$10. Took 2 3/4" out to make it the same as a Model A king pin to king pin. Welded on my own wishbone mounts and used a set of speedway spring hangers made for rear ends and cut to fit, welded on. Also used modified speedway caliper mounts and Aerostar rotors fit right over the econoline hubs. Crown vic rotors work too but won't accommodate 14" wheels. All totaled I have about $250 into the whole set up with all new wheel bearings. Nice thing on the econoline axle is that it's already about a 3" drop.

I would get on your local Craigslist and look for 1/2 finished projects you can rob valuable parts from. There are projects that the owner has stopped working on but have good parts he has collected - even if the project as a whole is not a good one.

My current Model A was like that. The guy had it on homebuilt frame (not good) but the body was good and had a complete speedway front end.

I kept the body, front end and title, and sold the rest.

I've been checking Craig list everyday lol, but no luck so far. On the other hand I know where there used to be a series 2 '55 Chevy truck, that I was told to take , and I thought I remembered reading somewhere you could use 49-54 car spindles and brakes on the front axle.

I had some time today to go to the estate auction site and grab some pics. First off, I'm highly disappointed, the flyer stated there's lots of Model A and T's, well there's none just some Model T frames and axles. Anyways on to the pics...

International Truck or most of one lol

Untitled by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

Fairly certain these are both old Chevys

From left to right
Essex, Dodge Bros, Essex

Overland

Unsure

This is one of about five cut up cars on pallets. There's 3 mid 20's Chevys and 2 mid 30's Buicks like this

And last but not least a Chevy truck or part of one anyhow lol

Then there is a rack with probably 60 or so 1930's Ford wire wheels but, I think they're all 17 inchers and 19 inchers.

So what do ya'll think. I should've bought that cab off of ebay but oh well to late now.

Yeah some stuff there but apparently not what you

Expected.....bits and pieces of stuff......that last chevy looks like a possible maybe?? [S

Yes, price will be a very deciding factor. This auction is in a small SW Iowa town but the auctioneer is out of Nebraska. I'm not sure how much advertising this has gotten, or how many people will show up looking for something hard to find.

I think the only thing that might help me out, most these cars are to far gone to restore. I'm hoping stuff goes to about scrap weight and I can bring home a few gems(in my eyes lol). I have a feeling though that it will be like a regular auction and stuff sells for 2-3 times what its worth.

I'm going to go with a friend and we're taking a truck and trailer just in case. I really would like to end up with either Essex or the dodge. There was also a 58-59 Ford truck, but it was under a tarp so I'm assuming it doesn't have any windows.

After looking at some Google images, I'm fairly certain the cab I said unsure is a 1940-41 Ford. I'm getting impatient waiting for this auction, I really want to get a project going and I'm sure you guys know where I'm coming from on that lol.

I do know that I definitely want a sedan if I can get one. I want a car big enough for my wife and I as well as the two little ones to all go cruise together. I was also thinking I would like to build a full fendered car, simply cause its not done very often and I like the looks.

Anyhow, thanks everyone so far for the help and direction and also for reading through my ramblings.

After looking at some Google images, I'm fairly certain the cab I said unsure is a 1940-41 Ford. I'm getting impatient waiting for this auction, I really want to get a project going and I'm sure you guys know where I'm coming from on that lol.

I do know that I definitely want a sedan if I can get one. I want a car big enough for my wife and I as well as the two little ones to all go cruise together. I was also thinking I would like to build a full fendered car, simply cause its not done very often and I like the looks.

Anyhow, thanks everyone so far for the help and direction and also for reading through my ramblings.

Personally, I'd go for something a little newer for a 4 door with kids. Those old cars are wooden framed and the door latches aren't something I'd trust for my kids, even when they were newer. I think mid to late 30s car would be a lot better suited to a family rod, and about half the labor to build since you wouldn't have to build a whole substructure to hold the body together, or have to fill the roof.

try to find something with a frame and VIN / serial numbers attached.
The frame will keep the body rigid, easier to work on.
Find an engine/trans as one unit....
Tractor grill. [P

weld on.......[;)

I wouldn't bother with any of that stuff if I were you, unless it goes for near scrap prices. If you just wanted a single seater without the family, I'd go with the sedans, the Chevy or the unknown cab. The rest is too much work. You're close enough to Nebraska you can find some decent 40's or 50's 4doors to rat out. Find something with a good title.

I appreciate all the feedback so far guys. I didn't end up going to the sale from your advice. I was cruising Craig list earlier and came across this and it looks to be in good shape except the trunk has been cutoff. I assume it was a humpback originally.

I like it and the price is right, I just don't know what I would do with the trunk area.

Latest posts

Back