Removing Car Body Truck Cab with Engine Hoist???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christcrusader13

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Anybody on here used this idea, or played around with it?

I'm planning on moving the sedan body this weekend with this method, I've done some prep on bracing the body so it doesn't fold in half... or worse on me.

I was thinking about welding an 'X' placing the hoist inside the car and placing 4 eyelids and a chain to each one, then using my engine load leveler as I'm removing it, in case I need to tilt or something?

Any thoughts????

I did something like that when I moved my truck cab off it's frame using a couple lifting straps and a ratchet strap with some yankee rigging if you know what I mean.

Thanks

thanks guys... I tried searching for about an hour, but I may have not had the correct preferences selected or something[S at least now I know it's a possibility, I have seen some images on google.. but I also saw an add for beach front property in Kansas too!:D

Made a Half Fast fixture to move the bed off my truck

worked good....just some 4x4's and u bolts...worked good with the picker....

Attachments

• bed on 7 6 13 painted.jpg
    bed on 7 6 13 painted.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 64
Yep, it works. One day I didn't feel like dragging out our gantry crane and was all alone, so I just used the engine hoist to lift off my rpu body.

Don

Before I had equipment we tried just about everything under the sun. The best thing that I've came up with on bigger cars is a floor jack, some long 4x4 post and some stacks of tires on rims. Then just roll the frame out from under it.

I removed a 77 ford pickup cab that way
2 chains x pattern 4 tie down locations
one thing that escaped my attention... the open hook in the houst... it was not the kind designed to capture the chain link.
What happened?
Got the cab off the frame then due to some imbalance the chains slid through the picking hook on the hoist allowing the cab to flip all the while still suspended by the hoist
Then as it reached it's limit of movement the flipping cab then flipped the engine hoist...
I still recall the sound of the links sliding through that hook....
Epic fail

Yep...

I lifted my COE cab off with my engine hoist. I used a body clamp on each front inside corner and an eyebolt in each rear corner. I used large ratchet straps so I could adjust and keep it level. Really worked very well. Lifting by the floor, I didn't feel I needed to brace anything. Nothing moved....

If I can be of any help, just PM me.:D

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 33
I have lifted my truck cab off and on a number of times with an engine crane, but not a car body. I just poked the lift arm through the open window, guessed where the centre of gravity would come on the roof, balled up an old pair of insulated coveralls [oh, you southerners don't have insulated coveralls do you?], stuck them on top of the lift arm and jacked her up against the inside of the roof. You have to have some blocks in place on the floor where you want to store the removed body so you can get the engine crane legs out from under it and get them back under when you go to lift it back on.
Keep on tinkering.

any thing is possible

One man body removal. Go slow and don't get under it for any thing. I recommend building a rotisserie, makes life much easier.
Good luck [cl

spr0157_zpsd63822eb.jpg

spr0160_zpse0470a9e.jpg

spr0162_zps6915fa66.jpg

spr0165_zpsa07e59a8.jpg

spr0166_zpse58dfd35.jpg

spr0168_zpsa61e563b.jpg

spr0176_zpsc16a7adf.jpg

I removed a VW bug body from the frame with a come along swinging from a tree limb and four nylon straps holding the body. Worked great, sat the body on some 4x4's on stacked tires until I put the two back together.

Pulled a 46 pickup cab and sat it on a S 10 frame for my son with my engine hoist. Same set up, four nylon straps to the corners.

Pulled the bed off of my 99 pickup with my engine hoist to replace the fuel pump. Used two straps in the wheelwells, worked good but dented the bed side on one side even though I had padding underneath the straps. Oh well, stuff happens.....

I do it with my cab all the time.
The way I do it makes the cherry picker a bit front heavy, but as long as I keep the cab close to the vertical leg it's good.
I can turn the cab 360* if needed very carefully.
Not easy to push up and down a steep driveway though [S

145.jpg

Whoops! That's only half the cab. Let me see if I have one with the whole cab :D

Hum. Guess I don't. This is the closest I have.
I use a 8' wide piece of 1/8" wall 2x4 box at the roof, then 1 strap to each corner under the cab. Large clevis in the center of the 2x4 to lift from. The 4 straps go to the end of the 2x4, 2 on each side.
I just feel better lifting from the bottom. Wen I was sectioning the cab, I didn't kind cause there wasn't much weight.
113.jpg

During my first Rat Rod build I was going to use my engine crane to remove the body, but came up with this set of 2x4 stands and 2x6 rolling cart.
Now I can lift the body, work on the lower section and then lower it to roll it around. One man operation.

weld on.......[;)

Attachments

• DSCN7739.jpg
    DSCN7739.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 35
It worked!

so I used some 4x4's and a cherry picker and my air ride suspension, but i was able to get the boddy off, thanks so much for all the photos and support, I will be doing this again, so I think I may try something other than straps around the body....

Attachments

• 0902131237.jpg
    0902131237.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back