What do you like most about rodding?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never thought much about it..guess because I like to do it ALL. Lots or rules around anymore..wives..bosses..doctors..even the kids. But in my shop it's my way. I know my builds would be more acceptable to the public if I got a a little help sometimes especially with the welding..paint department but I like the dreaming..schrounging..fabrication..my way...in my shop.....but the ride is still the reason..the reward. It's three in the morning and it's your time. You start it up for the first time. You head out of town towards Jonestown road..you see the lights of town disappearing behind you..you get on it..it pushes you back in the seat..the noise is deafening..you smell the blow by...the cool evening breeze rushes in....... Never thought much about it...

The people. We have awesome close friends that we have met at car shows. We can't wait to see them and sit back and laugh for a couple of days.
Tim

firsts

the first fire up of an engine, the cackel of the thing firing to life and scaring the cat, the first drive even if it ends not as well as expected but still in one piece, a sense of accomplishment, the months, years or decades to reach the end of a journey when 'FINISHED" & looking foreward to the next one. wondering what to change on the next one(s) to improve or make the build easier.

Later:cool:

I remember shortly after it was roadworthy
I went for a drive by myself late at night
Just tooling along thinking about everything and nothing.
And I remember pulling off onto the side of the road and listening to the quietly ticking engine cooling down.
And thinking
Ya know
This world ain't so bad.

I'm in agreement with everything that's been posted. Every car and truck that I've driven, raced, or just put together, has been for me. I really don't care what the "elite" car people say. I can honestly say, (with the exception of the driveshaft), every weld, every wiring connection, every nut, bolt, and rivet, on my ride, was put there by me. All of the backyard engineering, trial and error, successes and failures have been mine. If everything works the first test drive, I'll be just totally surprised. I have no one to blame except the chief engineer and assembly team. (ME). I have no idea how a person can have someone else build a rod for them and then call it their own. That's all.

today

FIRST DRIVE:D:D:D

today was the one thing l like almost as much as the build, driving them:cool:

we drove to the store in the pouring rain, it's about a 1/4 mile up the road and back in the 3OiSH rat[cl

Later:cool:

PS: my wonderful recording skills of our adventure are on display on the build thread.

Last edited:
I didn't do one stitch of the welding on mine
I don't know how......

Billy, nothing to be ashamed about there, I don't do my own welding either. I might tack it and then I let my Son finish it up. He is better and the welds look so much nicer. I also hate the sound of parts falling off as you do down the road ! :eek::D

Don

I love building & driving my cars & hardly ever sell one unless I quit driving it a lot, cars are for driving!!! People are always asking me how fast I'm had up cars up to... I've only had most of the cars I've built myself up to 100 once. At that speed I start thinking... Bob... just remember who put this car together & then I slow back down to a reasonable speed! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

I love building & driving my cars & hardly ever sell one unless I quit driving it a lot, cars are for driving!!! People are always asking me how fast I'm had up cars up to... I've only had most of the cars I've built myself up to 100 once. At that speed I start thinking... Bob... just remember who put this car together & then I slow back down to a reasonable speed! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

I don't think I've ever had one of my junkers to 100..even down hill..but it's worth a try. Tomorrow about 4am..when the locals are all in the donut shop, I know of a real long hill with a wrecker service based at the bottom..perfect. Let you know how it goes...or check the obits??

I really like creating things from nuthin, repurposing things from other projects and looking at the end and say " I BUILT THAT" the friends that I make everytime I chat and post in each build. And the things I learn from ol timers that I make time to just shoot the breeze in this busy world
Mike

I'm still amazed by the attention from young little kids, all the way to older folks. Never a lack of it from anyone. I'm shy, but I enjoy it. I love to just ride around.

For the short few months I've driven the T, I have had one person question if I built it or bought it. Answering, "my dad built it in the early 70's", I'm just as proud as if I built it myself. I've got pretty awesome bolt-on skills tho, not bad with wiring either.

I like creating looks, I guess, since I'm no fabricator...BUT if it's beyond my skills, I'm pretty good at explaining what I'd like made, buying what I need & ultimately talking my dad into whipping it up for me...heh

BoB

"How fast is it?" seems to be a common question from non car people. I'm not sure why it matters, it's not like they'll ever drive it or have a use for that information. I love the fact that something I can made can be reliable and go on long road trips. I didn't build it to be a drag truck, so I don't care how fast it goes, I just know it's a good cruiser with lots of passing power, that's good enough for me!

Latest posts

Back