Need a laugh? Craigslist find

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's either burnt in the wildfires or it's one of Reggie Jackson's cars I can't remember. seen this car for sale years ago.

Here is one of the issues I have regarding "original vehicle" when talking about VIN tags.
The picture below shows a first gen Camaro being "restored." The only thing that will be original on this thing is the inner structure. And, even some of that has been replaced with after-market pieces.
So, when does the "original vehicle" become not original? The parts replaced on this structure will be close to - if not over - 95%. If they are going to this level they are not installing the original interior, sub-frame etc. How can this be original? How can you reattach the VIN tag to this and say "it's all legal."

How is this any different than attaching a VIN tag to a Dynacorn body using the original front sub-frame, fenders, hood,motor, rear axle, seats, interior, etc etc etc? The only thing replaced was the body.

Not different at all. Same as a hot rod that is 95% constructed with parts from any number of other vehicles. It is a big grey area that has existed for a long time now. I did say I personally feel in this particular circumstance it is slightly unscrupulous, but it is a common practice. There are a finite number of original cars out there, and as more reproduction bodies and parts become available it will continue. Whether someone agrees with it or not should remain a personal issue IMO. The more the government encroaches on our hobby the worse it becomes...

Here is one of the issues I have regarding "original vehicle" when talking about VIN tags.
The picture below shows a first gen Camaro being "restored." The only thing that will be original on this thing is the inner structure. And, even some of that has been replaced with after-market pieces.
So, when does the "original vehicle" become not original? The parts replaced on this structure will be close to - if not over - 95%. If they are going to this level they are not installing the original interior, sub-frame etc. How can this be original? How can you reattach the VIN tag to this and say "it's all legal."

How is this any different than attaching a VIN tag to a Dynacorn body using the original front sub-frame, fenders, hood,motor, rear axle, seats, interior, etc etc etc? The only thing replaced was the body.

I agree with your comments.

In my area, it is illegal to affix a serial number plate to a vehicle for which it was not originally intended. While I agree that replacing 95% of the sheet metal on a vehicle seems no different, it's still the vehicle that it was originally intended for. Around here, a Dynacorn body falls under a different set of rules.

Yes, you could do it and people I'm sure do.

Someone once said on the Corvette forum I go to "They only made 325* LS6 Corvettes and only 415* still exist." ;)

* I made the numbers up as I cannot remember the exact numbers but you get the picture.

Someone once said on the Corvette forum I go to "They only made 325* LS6 Corvettes and only 415* still exist." ;)

* I made the numbers up as I cannot remember the exact numbers but you get the picture.

Haha, I always say there are way more hugger orange 69 Z28s running around than chevy every made.
As far as the title goes, they would also have to scrub it through a sloppy state to get rid of the "salvage" designation.

Haha, I always say there are way more hugger orange 69 Z28s running around than chevy every made.
As far as the title goes, they would also have to scrub it through a sloppy state to get rid of the "salvage" designation.

If it was ever turned in to the state as salvaged. Title could still be clear.
Wouldn't matter here anyway, never was titles until 1975 for us.

Latest posts

Back