Project parts gathering coming together

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I have the 77 F250 4x4 chassis, the 460/ZF drievetrain and this is the body I hope to use. I think I have the rancher talked out of it. I will get it pieced together at my nephews, with his help. He has a side post lift. I will leave it original patina. My original 59 F250 4x4 is for sale

That is one nice looking truck. You have done more since you got out of the hospital than I've done in the last 2 years!

That is one nice looking truck. You have done more since you got out of the hospital than I've done in the last 2 years!

Haha, not much but have been doing some trading. My white count is still pretty low, hence not much immune system so I'm taking it pretty cautious. Still able to drag more crap home, does that count?

This should bolt right on. Well, almost! The wheel base is different, though. I can't wait to see how you deal with that. Should be fun. :D

This should bolt right on. Well, almost! The wheel base is different, though. I can't wait to see how you deal with that. Should be fun. :D

The frame is pretty straight and I think I can just take a chunk out of it behind the cab. Those old 57-60 are short, 118", only a couple inches longer than a 70s short bed. The donor frame is 2 inches wider and the rear cab mounts are only going to be about 3/4" outside the frame. I'm sure I'll have to do some whittling of the inner fender around the steering box. And plenty of other surprises yet unseen

Well, time hasn't been so good to that old truck. Floorboards are gone, side of bed caved in, front fenders rusted out and drivers door pretty mangled. Not worth dragging out let alone going through the laborious task of dealing with this very nice, albeit lonesome, old man. He did say I could come back and get the trim pieces. I could probably get the grill but to be honest, they are just too much work to get out unless you can destroy the fenders to get at the caged nuts that almost always spin out.
Most of the things he wouldn't sell before, have been cleaned out by the Wisconsin deer hunters.

So, the body swap is off until you find a better candidate?[S Why not just use the body you already have [the 59] ?

I actually have a really decent 59 Custom cab body. It was someone else's project many years ago and the cab is kinda gutted, crappy primer on it and old repairs of the front fender rust. And I have a good bed I saved from a 60 I parted out years ago. I was really into the original patina look but this mishmosh of parts would need painted and that means body work.

The 59 I have basically needs a front clip and a passenger door because those parts are all pretty wavey. I think I would do better to just sell it as a good driver and use the money.
Trouble is, with body work and rewiring the whole new cab, the project might be getting a little more ambitious than my ambition level.
I have thought of just using the 40 panel body but just do not like those swaps with axles too wide and the tires outside the body. Back on the Scout axles but the wrong side drop for Ford.

Latest posts

Back