reversed corvair steering box mounting pics?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallBlock Jimmy

Does anyone have any pics of a reversed corvair box mounted to a frame so I could see how to mount mine? I see that the box has a slight angle to its mounting surface. I just bought an aluminum reversed box and I can't believe how light it is:). Thanks for any and all input!!

Also, I am guessing I will have to use u-joints to position my steering wheel in place, if anyone has any pics of their zig-zagged steering column, I would love to see that as well, Thanks!!

Here you go Bud. I mounted mine exactly like you are describing, in front of the firewall. The part that bolts to the box is simply a flat steel plate, and it needs to be angled down on the inside so that the box sits level. It was trial and error until I got it mounted so the box sits with the output shaft sitting level. To mount the plate to the frame, I made up a flat steel plate that sits vertically, then put a sectioned piece of box tubing under it to act as a stand, and give it more support.

Here are some pictures.

Don

Attachments

• t draglink 5.jpg
    t draglink 5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 205
  • t new steering box.jpg
    t new steering box.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 165
  • t new steering box 2.jpg
    t new steering box 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 188
  • t new steering box 3.jpg
    t new steering box 3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 195
  • t steering box mounted 002.jpg
    t steering box mounted 002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 165
Thank you very much Don!! Thats exactly what I was hoping to see! Did you file out the 4 wide splines in the pitman arm so you could move it to any spline location you choose? Also, did you drill out the end of the arm to fit a 1/2" or a 5/8" rod end? Thanks very much for the pics!!!:)

You will notice in some pictures the steering box is different. The red one is an original Corvair I was going to use, but the black one is a Flaming River one I bought from Speedway to replace it. I just didn't like the feel of the Corvair box (it has some roughness internally) so I decided to bite the bullet and lay out $370.00 for a brand new one. It steers like power steering, and I'm glad I did it. You also have to watch the Corvair aluminum boxes on a little heavier car, as they can split and fail. Mine was a cast iron Corvair box, they made both versions.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the u joint setup. You can get the u joint from Speedway that fits your box splines and has a 3/4 inch bore on the other end for a steering shaft. I heated and bent the steering arm to clear my wishbone.

Hope these help you out.

Don

Attachments

• steering fab and parts 012.jpg
    steering fab and parts 012.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 138
  • steering and gas pedal 012.jpg
    steering and gas pedal 012.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 164
  • t rear tires mounted and balanced 008.jpg
    t rear tires mounted and balanced 008.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 154
Thank you very much Don!! Thats exactly what I was hoping to see! Did you file out the 4 wide splines in the pitman arm so you could move it to any spline location you choose? Also, did you drill out the end of the arm to fit a 1/2" or a 5/8" rod end? Thanks very much for the pics!!!:)

Yep, I used a small triangle shaped file and cut the flat teeth out and made them look just like the others so I could index the shaft in a different position. The steering arm my Kid bought for his T bucket from Speedway has all teeth so you can move it anywhere without having to file them.

I drilled the tapered end out to 5/8 so that a standard rod end would work with a grade 8 bolt.

You're welcome.

Don

You were also asking about the column. Here is what I did.

Don

Attachments

• steering and gas pedal 010.jpg
    steering and gas pedal 010.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 153
  • steering and gas pedal 011.jpg
    steering and gas pedal 011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 122
Awesome pics, Thanks a TON!!

I think Im going to need two u-joints so I can move the wheel to the right. Do I need two supports per piece of shaft? Im planning on using a spline joint at the box with the shaft angled to the right and then another joint then bringing the shaft straight to the wheel. I'll have a support at the wheel so Im guessing I'll need at least another support on that same shaft to hold it at both ends,eh? Are the u-joint intended to be welded to the shafts or is there another way to fasten them to the round shaft? Thanks again Don!!:)

My understanding is that you can use two ujoints without using a center support between them, but if you use three, you need to use one to keep it from jumping around.

I would use a solid mounting point at the top of your column, and one at the bottom where the shaft exits the firewall. Then you could use two u joints beyond that to get the angle you need.

I didn't want to weld mine because of the heat affecting the bearings inside, so I drilled a 5/16 hole all the way through the u joint shoulder and the shaft, and ran a 5/16 bolt through it. My Son hated me doing that and feared I weakened the shaft, but it is solid steel, so I think I am ok.

BTW, Speedway sells this flanged support that is perfect to use as a lower mount for your shaft. It can be adjusted up to a 30 degree angle too, and mounts real easy.

Don

Attachments

• flanged sleeve.jpg
    flanged sleeve.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 33
  • steering and gas pedal 011.jpg
    steering and gas pedal 011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Back