"Secret Willys Revival" (My chopped '53)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! sorry to cause you extra work but it looks way better and I am willing to bet you feel better about it now too! looks good![cl

I know its extra work now[;), but you are gonna be glad you did that later..Looks great![cl I made the rear crossmember for my chebbie truck out of 2" square tubing and notched it to clear my 3" exhaust..gotta look hard to see the pipes on it..

That looks great!
It’s almost always worth the extra time in the long run.

OH, just in case no one tells you, welding upside down is a PITA! :D

hahahahaha

I think my 7" grinder is now going to be known as 'The Badger'. ''sam fear''

thanks sam, or is it your'e welcome:confused:

keep up the work, it's looking better all the time[cl

Sometimes we learn from others mistakes. :p

WOW! :eek: "I'm a Jedi" ..........Teach you I will :cool::D

Thanks guys for talking me into notching the cross member for my exhaust.....it was definitely the right thing to do [cl And thanks for your continued interest in my build, I'll try not to disappoint :eek:

Later,

"Jedi Ray"

Last edited:
Nice project, top chop actually looks good on it.

Thanks man!

I especially like the 57 Buick, what became of it?

I bought the Buick in 1989 from the original owner's son. It had 54,000 miles on it but it had been sitting since 1976.....outside:( It was pretty rough everywhere but it ran great and I drove it for ten years. Sold it to a friend in '99 and he traded it to a 'hoarder' a couple years later and as of last summer it was still sitting in the same spot (outside) as when the guy traded for it off my friend. :rolleyes::(

Jedi Ray, come to the dark side, it's fun over here, Darth Skull:D

I'm there man :cool:

what next on the list of ''to do'' on the truck?

Later:cool:

Well, tonight I grabbed a brush and some satin black Rustoleum and painted the frame area under the cab.

243satinblackframeLarge.jpg

Next I'm going to get the bottom of the cab sealed up and painted so I can set it back on. Need to fire the engine soon and check out the tranny, I think the engine will be fine but the tranny may need a rebuild :confused: Another biggie is getting my doors fitting decent and installing the bear claw latches. It will be good to get the cab back on so when I put something on I can leave it!

Stay tuned,

Ray

lookin' good

l like the black on the chassis, looks good,

if the tranny needs rebuilt, why not stick a 700R4 in it and improve milage and performance. bout the same price to do a OD as a 350 turbo.

Well, our daughter and son in-law visited us for the 4th of July weekend and I had hoped to have the cab floor finished up so I could set it back on while I had help but that never happened. Still had a pretty productive weekend though. As the kids spent Friday afternoon/evening driving in I cleaned up the other side of my engine and finished smoothing up and painting the exhaust manifold. Then Saturday afternoon I put it on and bolted my exhaust system back up...

246putexhaustmanifoldonLarge.jpg

Sunday afternoon my son in-law and I buttoned up some loose ends here and there and grabbed a drill and spun the oil pump for awhile......

247primeditupLarge.jpg

.....even found some NOS parts I had boxed up ten years ago LOL i.e. plug wires, plugs, points, cap and rotor........

248foundsomenosstufflolLarge.jpg

......pushed it outside (for fire safety reasons)....uh, you see where this is going don't ya :D

249pusheditoutsideLarge.jpg

Posed for a pic while we still had hair.....

251BronsonandILarge.jpg

.......gave it a little drink

252giveitalittledrinkLarge.jpg

.....and "fire in the hole !" Not much of a video but enough to give proof LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXNA95qn_Pc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

.....that's my son in-law running the throttle, me running the "screwdriver ignition" and my father in-law looking on. The rest of the cheering section was standing clear in anticipation of the fireball that never came......so we still have our hair. As you can tell by the blow by I have a couple stuck rings on the left bank but on the bright side I no longer have a mosquito problem in the garage LOL.

254instantfumagationLarge.jpg

Ran it a couple times bringing it up to about 180-200 degrees.....

255keptgoodtabonheatLarge.jpg

.....and then pulled the plugs on the offending cylinders and injected some "secret potion" while it was still hot in hopes of breaking the rings loose.

256secretinjectionLarge.jpg

All in all I'd say it done pretty well considering it sat nine years without being turned!

So, there you have my holiday weekend! Good time with the family and good time with the Willys........makes me wish the cab was sitting upright with a steering wheel and some brakes ! I'll have to get right on that, LOL

To be continued,

Ray

Last edited:
ssssssswwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt

starting the motor, that had to feel good:D

the 327 l put in mine only sat for 18 months and it smoked like that for about an hour, then stopped and ran fine.

check the valve adjustment, mine was off from sitting.

no HEI?

get thart cab on and it will seem to faster, or in my case, slower 'couse of the anticipation :eek:

keep it up[cl:D

Hey.....who's the square wearing the polo shirt in your garage? The project might take a turn for the worse if you let those types of folks work on your truck.

Keep up the good work

no HEI?

The points distributor was just what the motor had when I got it but it will have an HEI at some point.

Hey.....who's the square wearing the polo shirt in your garage? The project might take a turn for the worse if you let those types of folks work on your truck.

Keep up the good work

:eek::eek: Wow, I see him now! Evidently the thorough fumigation got him because I checked this evening and him and all the bugs were gone [ddd Didn't have any use for the bugs but I kinda hated to see him go :(

firing it up had to be a great feeling after all this time..congrats!!

Yes, starting it up was definitely good for morale [cl[cl

Stay tuned for more action,

Ray

Ain't it great?

I enjoy your thread so much. Sounds like you're havin' fun....like it's supposed to be. Love the Willys!

Just a sugggestion. MidFifty F100 Parts sells a bolt in bear claw latch. It is designed for F100s but it might work on your Willys. Its pretty neat. You can weld it or bolt it. A little pricey but easy to install. Here's the link. Check it out. Part #1109

https://midfifty.com/part.php?CAT_ID=241&SEL_ID=278

I enjoy your thread so much. Sounds like you're havin' fun....like it's supposed to be. Love the Willys!

Just a sugggestion. MidFifty F100 Parts sells a bolt in bear claw latch......

Sir, thank you kindly
mood_grateful.gif
I'm glad you enjoy my build thread and I am indeed having fun or I wouldn't be doing it.........it's not like I'm getting paid :D.......[S actually it's the complete opposite isn't it :eek:

As for the latches, I have this set of universal bear claw latches that I believe will do the trick.....

53newdoorlatchesLarge.jpg

.....that will be one of the first things I work on when I get the cab set back on.

Thanks,

Ray

Made a little progress tonight towards getting the cab back on. Finished up a little grinding here and there and ran some Duraglas filler on the seams of all the patches.........

257fiberglassingmypatchesLarge.jpg

.....probably falls under the category of "filler abuse" but I wanted the seams filled a little better than I could do with paint alone. Now if I were looking to buy this truck and saw this stuff plastered all over the bottom of it I would probably pass on it but hey, I've owned it for 30 years and I'm not building it to sell or to win trophies so a little "filler abuse" over some solid patching is okay with me :eek::D I'm really looking forward to getting the cab back on this thing so I can start putting things on to stay!

To be continued,

Ray

Latest posts

Back