"Secret Willys Revival" (My chopped '53)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just went through the whole thread i know its really rough but you can still make it into somthing just spend whatever time you can on it

ur wlcme

Thanks Skull for talking me into it, but the cab light holes are staying :(

your'e welcome[;)

l still think the cab holes need to by-by[ddev

looooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkiiiiinnnnnnnnn gooooooooodddddd:D

Later:cool:

whats wierd abou this is there happens to be willys and a luv right next to each other behind the shop i work at

032911175550.jpg

whats wierd abou this is there happens to be willys and a luv right next to each other behind the shop i work at

032911175550.jpg

:eek::eek: Wow, how crazy is that! The Luv looks like a 4X4....maybe one of the early 'Mighty Mike' conversions ?? You should grab them and build mine's big brother :D After all the Willys and the Luv are made for each other....

Check this out.....
meanttobetogether.jpg

......couldn't believe how well these two areas came together when I first put this thing on the Luv frame:eek:

i dont think i could get a hold of either one..... maybe the luv but deffinatley not the willys legally that is. the guy who owns it is very ****ed at my boss and wont talk to him or any of his friends

the luv is owned by my boss but he dont want to sell it. it is a 4 wheel drive though im not sure he has done to it i just know he quit letting joe use it because he was always breaking it

Busy Friday as usual :rolleyes: Errands to run, chiropractor appointment etc. Plus my daughter is traveling from NY to Wheeling, WV this evening to shoot pictures at a wedding this weekend so the wife and I are getting ready to travel there and meet up with her for a little visit tonight and tomorrow. Still I managed to piddle around with the Willys a little today.

Woohoo! look at those new lug nuts:D
70somenewrearstudsandnutsLarge.jpg

71newfrontlugnutsLarge.jpg

There were some studs missing on the rear and there were only about 7 lug nuts total on the truck and half of them were the wrong ones:rolleyes: Almost lost a wheel just pushing it around when we brought it out of hibernation on New Years Eve :eek: At least it will be safe to push around now:D

The drip rail is slowly disappearing too.....

72dripraildisappearingLarge.jpg

...my welding is not getting any better but I'm learning to stand back and take pics head on so as not to show how rough it really is :D

To be continued,

Ray

keep goiing snake farm ull get there someday ill build my willys panel

For using flux core that didn't come out too bad...

You must have kept the heat down... I tried to weld with flux core and even at the lowest setting, it wanted to burn thru.... but I can't weld well either....
WELD WELL..... say that fast a few time.... looks good to me..... keep forging ahead.....

Once you get the marker lights all frenched in, I think it'll be good. Taking off that lip REALLY made a difference.

Well, I ought to be in bed but in addition to my other chores this evening I spent two or three hours on the Willys. I've been having fun taking off the drip rail and watching the cab get rounder but decided to work on some of the mundane stuff tonight. Stuff that will need to be done sooner or later if I ever expect to get this thing moving. So, I scrounged around through my scrap pile and put this together.......[;)

73buildingbatteryboxLarge.jpg

...already has some patina on it, LOL
74batteryboxLarge.jpg

....up dumped on of my countless containers of old nuts and bolts and found four similar sets
74lookingforboltsLarge.jpg

...used three existing holes in the firewall and drilled a fourth, then bolted it up
75boxboltedinLarge.jpg

.....done a little test fit to see how it's gonna do:D
76testfitLarge.jpg

.....looks like it's going to do the job although the CB-Delco (as in Card Board) doesn't have quite enough spark to spin it over. I'll replace it with a $75 Wally World version of equal proportions........when I can spare $75 that is:eek:

Total cost tonight........a few feet of welder wire!

As always, thanks for looking and for the encouragement.
To be continued,

Ray

that looks good. move the terminals to the front, just in case there is enough spark to short out and light the CB Delco on fire :)

You must have kept the heat down... I tried to weld with flux core and even at the lowest setting, it wanted to burn thru.... but I can't weld well either....
WELD WELL..... say that fast a few time.... looks good to me..... keep forging ahead.....

Yeah Sarg, I tried to keep it down but still have burn through issues like you said :eek:.
Although no progress to report on the truck itself this weekend, I did however take a step toward improving my welds............I finally bought a bottle!
When I bought my welder about ten years ago I made this little flat cart for it out of scrap wood from work and some casters that came on a big pizza oven that I had installed in a new Papa Johns we had built......total cost $Zero.00
Weldercart1Large.jpg

...I know, most folks build their carts out of metal but sometimes ya just go with what ya got and what ya know, LOL

Tore into it today and added a cabinet on the end to house the bottle and a couple drawers. Worked out pretty good I think and again built it out of scraps from work so the cost was $Zero.00
Weldercart2Large.jpg

Hooked everything up, loaded on a roll of mig wire and......................
threw on some "go fast' stickers
Weldercart3Large.jpg

So, when it comes to welding, things are gonna change around here! Well, the polarity at least ....time will tell if I get any better :D

Stay tuned,

Ray

Sort your nuts and bolts! (A good beer drinkin project) I like your little cart, but I'd have that caught on fire in a day.

You're gonna love the gas. [;)

Picked up a couple more parts. After buying my nephew an old 'Slingerland' base drum pedal for Christmas to use as a gas pedal on his rat rod pickup, I finally picked up a couple for myself. I'll be using one and probably trading or selling the other..........
mygaspedal.jpg

....both are cool but it only seems fitting that I use the one on the left:cool::D

To be continued,

Ray
Let me know if you want to get rid of the other pedal. I was looking on ebay last week for one...and It'd be going into another Willys to boot!

Busy weekend ahead!

Over loaded with other stuff this weekend but hope to steal a little time to try out my new welder bottle [;) Still got a long way to go on the drip rail. Then I need to roll the cab on it's back and fix a rear cab mount and some rotted floor....had forgotten it till the other night when I was welding on the drip rail and started a small fire :eek::eek: I ended up under the truck putting it out and looked up to see the mount and holes and it all came back to me :rolleyes:

Stay tuned,

Ray

Sort your nuts and bolts! (A good beer drinkin project)
You're gonna love the gas. [;)

Not sure about the beer/nut and bolt sorting project..........that's how they got mixed up in the first place :eek::D

I think you're right on the gas though, however I'm going to have to relearn everything I NEVER knew about welding [;):eek:

Made another foot or so of drip rail disappear tonight. The welds, although better are not quite worthy of a closeup pic yet. As soon as I get the rest of the rail off the back of the cab I'm going to roll it onto it's back on the little temporary flat bed and fix the cab mount and rotted floor. Get a little more welding practice in before moving back up top.

To be continued,

Ray

Latest posts

Back