Header Baffles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chop509

Infamous Dirty '34
There are a number of baffle how-tos on some of the other message boards; this is how I did mine:

I picked up these glass packs new on Ebay for $11 each - 3” diameter, 18” long, 1¾” core, aluminum coated, packed with fiberglass, and no ends.

100_0850.jpg

100_0851.jpg

Drilled 2” diameter holes in the end caps.

100_0852.jpg

Welded the end caps to the glass packs.

100_0853.jpg

Measured and cut off enough of the casing so they would fit into the header snug.

100_0854.jpg

Installed a gasket, and bolted them in.

100_0855.jpg

Still going to add a 2½” or 3” diameter turnout and weld to the outside of the end cap to route the exhaust away from the doors.

Last edited:
I like it!

Chop,
Wow, i like it. I was gonna go with that style header on my '41 Ford PU but now that's a definite. I wanted to quiet it down 2 b *sorta* on the verge of legal & this looks like the cheap answer... thanks!

BoB

That's a really great idea. Were the glasspacks something that a particular vendor sells all the time on ebay, or a one time shot? I'm gonna have to do something like this too as I don't think I'll get away with open megs. :eek:

Have you fired the motor yet to see how quiet it made it? Another concern I have is fumes coming into the car from the exhaust right at the cowl, like mine and yours are. Any experiece with that?

Don

getcarter, donsrod,

I just finished these up last night, and only fired it up in the garage (was a little to late at night to run it out in the driveway).
Overall first impression was it is still louder than I was hoping for, maybe 30% quieter (could have been deceiving cause of being inside), but it is what it is.

The glass packs were the last 2 of 4 that the vendor was selling. I just kept checking ebay until I found something that looked like it would work, and you shouldn’t have any trouble finding something either.
As far as fumes, I haven’t put enough miles on yet to have a feel for that. My guess is you’re going to smell it. I would have rather done sealed end caps, bottom dumps, and run ‘em out the back (still might), but this was cheap, and useable for now.

well i have not done open headers but i have run several of my mustangs with dumps. love the sound but damn the fumes. made it a pain when i was going to the bar or something, when someone said something about it i just said it was my new cologne, od de man!lol the worst part is if the car runs rich, it will burn your eyes to the point of tears, but man did i love the sound.

That is cool! I was wanting to have open headers but the police around here are sticklers on that stuff. Of course they dont bother the Harley guys...:p

If the sound is still too much Chop, try stuffing stainless steel scrub pads around the insert and shove it back in place. That is how Sanderson suggested my Son quiet down the Olds in his rod if the baffles they sell still are too loud.

Don

Latest posts

Back