Making good electrical contact on old wiring

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willy knight

I have found that when I use the old wiring in my cars sometimes the head lights or tail lights are dimm from not making good contact.I have found that putting a dab of the silver Anti -Sieze on the head light prongs and then putting the plug off and on a few times to smear it in the socket works excellent.I live in a salt state and the bulbs sieze in the socket some times.This works on tail light bulbs also. Just put a dot on each of the contact bumps on the bottom of the 1157 bulb and put some around the outside of the base.Do not smear them together for this does conduct electricity.This works perfect so you can drive your old wireing until you can get new.I also anti-sieze where the grounds bolt to the body.

Makes perfect sense....

Good advise not to smear it too much around....could be a short waiting for a place to happen...lol... but like Brylcream..... "a little dab will do Ya".... [cl

Yes.Some times I use a tooth pick to apply.And this also works on the spade connections like on regulators and such.

Yeah....old school stuff after cleaning up connections

was to use good old vaseline to protect it..... not sure it works as a contact promoter like the anti seize would but surely will keep he thing from corroding as quickly..... isn't vaseline a wonderful invention??? So many useful purposes....lol :D

Yes.When I rebuild my automatic transmissions I use it as an assembly lube because it blends in with the fluid with no problems.I also use it when I install the drive shaft yoke into the trans so the seal has some help.I think it does make some people nervous when they see a big jar of it in your shop though.lol.

yep....

I always use it in lieu of assemply lube for trans work....old school stuff for sure....that's all they used back them....didn't have the fancy stuff....works great..... yeah those huge jars sitting on the bench are a bit of a conversation starter...lol

I went to dielectric grease years ago, it doesn't conduct electricity :cool:
It done two things lubed the connections and stop the embarrassing comments :eek:

Yeah it's great stuff but did you hear about the couple that got the Vaseline and the glazing putty mixed up :eek: ????

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

.......their windows fell out! :D

Vaseline, the old time ky jelly, man i miss the good ole days when cornhole wasn't a beanbag toss game but a form of birth control!:D

Two kinds of anti-sieze

I know this is off suject a little but I was told there were two kinds of Anti-sieze.The silver is actually ground up aluminum that is why it conducts so well.I was told that is why you cannot use the silver when you put steel bolts into aluminum.It does no good because it is aluminum.There is a copper colored anti-sieze that is for aluminum.I have seen jars of the copper anti-sieze where I used to work but don't know where you would get it for the average guy.I use anti-sieze on everything because we fight rust so bad here in Ohio.
Is this true about the aluminum and copper anti-sieze??

Is this true about the aluminum and copper anti-sieze??

Yes. I worked for a manufacturer of aluminum tanker trailers, we used Kopr-Kote by Jet Lube.

kopr-kote-10091.jpg

I have a tub of Vaz in the garage as well. The wife doesn't believe I use it for automotive purposes but she could really care less, the honeymoon's over. :D

Latest posts

Back