lincoln locker

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thigh19

When welding up your spiders, do you really need to weld the spiders to the carrier or are just the gears enough?
seems just the gears would be enough so maintenance on the diff would be easier. School me please.

I always just pull the spiders,weld two "valley's" skip two ect. ect. Never had any issue's.

when we did this for racing we welded the spiders and then we broke them. when it broke it tore everything up. so we started brazing them together and to the housing. atleast when the broke then we could fix it again. good luck.

we was drag racing. i tore up a 12 chevy in my 63. first i broke teeth off of my spiders then i welded it all together. when it broke again. i changed the rear end, as it was toast. oh by the way that was on the street with that one. i believe i will go mini spool before i weld spiders again.

ps i'm not nice to my cars and trucks, i run the s__t out of em.

we was drag racing. i tore up a 12 chevy in my 63. first i broke teeth off of my spiders then i welded it all together. when it broke again. i changed the rear end, as it was toast. oh by the way that was on the street with that one. i believe i will go mini spool before i weld spiders again.

ps i'm not nice to my cars and trucks, i run the s__t out of em.

With the cost of a mini-spool I think it's worth it. I just picked up a mini spool for my 9 inch at a swap meet for $20. Seems much safer than welding. Not sure if anyone makes them anymore but I had a pair of "lock blocks" in my chevy 10 bolt. They replaced the spider gears on the axle sides. Then you're not heating up the whole thing. They worked great.

I plan on using a 19 spline dana 44 out of a checker cab. There's no spool, at least I couldn't find, for this application. Could use a power lock from an older cj5 but they are pretty pricey for a 4 series carrier.

Latest posts

Back