welding classes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i think i am going to take a 11 month welding course at the local college.
i tried it in abq but the way they had it set up was 2 years of math before i got to touch a torch!
screw that obviously

besides the fact that higher math is beyond me. not having set foot in a classroom for 36+ years made me a bit rusty.

Good for you.
That's the way welding courses are set up around here as well.
They want you to take other classes so that by the time you are certified to weld you also have an associates degree.
I understand the logic of it for a younger person or some one that is seeking a new career but for us geezers that just want to learn a specific area it doesn't help much.
Torchie.

Try a community college, not a full fledged four year college, they are more vocational orientated.

My 14 year old son is taking welding courses at the local community college, we got them setup as counting toward his high school classes. So far he has finished up two classes, intro gas and intro tig.

The downside, not all he wants me to get is a tig welder....

My son took classes at our local Vo-Tech school. Night classes a couple days a week for 16 weeks I think. Now he is certified welder making bank. Kids, who would have thunk it? [cl

My son took classes at our local Vo-Tech school. Night classes a couple days a week for 16 weeks I think. Now he is certified welder making bank. Kids, who would have thunk it? [cl

i will be 52 by the time i am done
but i will know how to weld.
nuthin wrong with learning a useful skill
and i find myself needing things welded way to often to not do it myself

My nephew did the community college classes, about 9 months start to finish I think. He already knew the basics, but the course helped. He landed a great job at a fab company, now he's learning CAD hands on at work.

Sounds like a good way to get burnt. Oh I guess that's part of it.
You won't regret learning to weld that's for sure.
Next thing you know you'll be buying a bunch of new toys to play with.
Good like and watch your puddle.

besides the fact that higher math is beyond me. not having set foot in a classroom for 36+ years made me a bit rusty.

Don't feel bad about being rusty. If I have to go to the school to pick up one of my kids or to a function for them I still get Knots in my stomach and all sweaty.And I graduated/was asked to leave 32 years ago.

Don't feel bad about being rusty. If I have to go to the school to pick up one of my kids or to a function for them I still get Knots in my stomach and all sweaty.And I graduated/was asked to leave 32 years ago.

For years afterward i would sometimes wake up with a panic attack thinking i had to go school.:eek:
Go for it Billy. Great little side business and you will make some new friends.

I took a 126 hr basic welding coarse and it took me all 126 hrs to get to and pass the bend test ... I already knew how to dirt dob . so that helped a little .. I need better glasses now if you cant see it forming the puddle you just cant get it like you want it JMO. We were taught on the 6010 splatter rod .. its called the splatter rod for that very reason . It splatters the fire all over you ,, you will burn up a welding jacket quick !! I enjoyed it .. Good luck and stick with it ..

i am not working so i feel like i gotta do SOMETHING productive.
turns out i suck at being lazy.....

i wont weld for a living
matter of fact in about 10 years i am not going to be able to work at all
the spinal arthritis is taking its toll
but being able to make repairs and build things at my own pace will be wonderful

i will use the student loan to pay for classes and buy the equipment.
because the town i live in has the worlds largest railroad switching yard
there are thousands of welders that live here and i can find great deals on used equipment.

Billy I think I suck at being lazy too .. I cant do much else on my 97 ford rebuild , till I get a few more spare $$ . so I went out and built me a dash for my gauges it took me about all night but I think its going to work good .. I just have to be doing something ..I hate being shut up in a house ...

well
i applied for a student loan so it looks like i will be a student again.
PARTY NEKKID! t-shirt and keg-stands here i come!
i need a racoon fur coat too

Latest posts

Back