Electronic distributor ??!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddRodsGarage

Hello folks it has been awhile ,, I am better know ..nuff said

I bought a "ready to run" distributor but must admit I am still confused about conflicting articles about how to wire it.

[ did you know EBay will NOT let its sellers include directions ?!?]

It has 2 wires , red and black , do I need a fancy coil or can I use the "no resister needed " one that I have and wire like shown in the picture ? [ Identical to one I have cept it is a Chrysler url ]

Basic 66 basic points distributored 283 SBC

Thanks
Oldog

Attachments

• ready to run.jpg
    ready to run.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 25
That looks like a regular coil would work, red and hot to + pos and black to
- neg.The dist will regulate the ground to fire the coil.

I find that "no directions" policy fishy at best, but best of luck with it. Heard way too many horror stories about junk Chinese distributors on eBay to risk it here. If something is really cheap (especially an electronic something), there's usually a reason. Money on a good Mallory or equivalent dizzy would seem really well spent when broken down at a most inopportune time. Just my $.02...

Looks and smells like the artist formerly known as procomp electronics... "pioneers" in knock-off Chinese "performance" junk.

The procomp name is now seemingly defunct, but I'll bet you a dollar, the empire lives through e-bay and hoards of vendors are flogging exactly the same low quality junk in thin disguise.

I'd return that turd, put it back on e-bay or toss it in a body of water. If you choose to keep it, I'll echo Blue Eyed Devil's comments and I also wish you the best of luck.

No offense or put-down intended, just trying to help and pass along what I've learned and understand about cheap ignitions.

Procomp's information below, if you're still listening!

attachment.php

Attachments

• PC7000INST.jpg
    PC7000INST.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 49
Yep....

Made that mistake once... used a procomp Dist and it lasted one day left me stranded on the freeway.... coincidence? Maybe.... but the Pertronix is still ticking 4 years later... my .02 in as well.....

Looks and smells like the artist formerly known as procomp electronics... "pioneers" in knock-off Chinese "performance" junk.

The procomp name is now seemingly defunct, but I'll bet you a dollar, the empire lives through e-bay and hoards of vendors are flogging exactly the same low quality junk in thin disguise.

I'd return that turd, put it back on e-bay or toss it in a body of water. If you choose to keep it, I'll echo Blue Eyed Devil's comments and I also wish you the best of luck.

No offense or put-down intended, just trying to help and pass along what I've learned and understand about cheap ignitions.

Procomp's information below, if you're still listening!

I believe most of you are correct ... but I do have an out as the package came through damaged ... your advise will be heeded as I am have in a heck of a time with this motor[ see next post ]and this distributor is NOT installing any more confidence that I already have

[/QUOTE /I believe most of you are correct ... but I do have an out as the package came through damaged ... your advise will be heeded as I am have in a heck of a time with this motor[ see next post ]and this distributor is NOT installing any more confidence that I already have[/QUOte]

I just requested a return .... now let me ask about my original problem that got me to the point of wanting to join the 19 century ...

Here is what happened to me ..1966 283 motor out of a Chevelle down in 55 truck .. the original points distributor with one wire over to coil . the coil had/has what looks like a condenser screw to the side going to the negative post [ resistor ? ]

The thing light right up and sounded great ….

Somehow I switched the one coil wire over to the + post when I took apart to get the oil pressure t it the tube hooked up behind the distributor . When I went to start it distributor wire smoked and went away . I ran a temp wire over to coil and had spark I replaced the wire [ fun getting down thru that little hole ] and hooked it all back up and no spark.
I then get another coil and condenser and replaced the other ones ..no spark ... but it was then I noticed my coil was toast [juice runith over] Points closed ?] points and wires look good….ground not effected

After a week of trying different things , tdc right stroke, rotor pointing , new points condencer coil [ with internal resistor etc all I could get was spark at the points .. so ….

That when I bought a ready to run distributor on fleaBay.

Any Ideas there as I like the oldschool look//// guess I could do petronics but will I be in the same situation ?
Thanks
Oldog

Now this is getting interesting. Sorry for your run of bad luck, but I hope to learn more in this thread. I have a couple of dual-point hot rod dizzies. (Mallory and Accel) Are these good candidates for upgrading? I prefer the old-school look too.

NOTE: I have an unmarked lightly used aftermarket HEI unit in the 39 that I bought at the swap meet. It is working fine so far.

I know some guys here don't speak very highly of HEI dizzies but I've got 2 of the cheapies from Speedway that really have been doing a good job. I laugh when the term "old school" is used....HEI is getting pretty "old school" now. Came out in 74. 44 years ago. :eek:
I'm hiding a Pertronics module in there and it gives me no trouble. Maybe the size is all that's wrong with it, although it takes up less space with a single unit than other ignitions using a dizzie and a separate coil. I know the size gets in the way of some of the fuel devices. I just like them because they are pretty simple and work well, which wins out over looks to me.

Now this is getting interesting. Sorry for your run of bad luck, but I hope to learn more in this thread. I have a couple of dual-point hot rod dizzies. (Mallory and Accel) Are these good candidates for upgrading? I prefer the old-school look too.

NOTE: I have an unmarked lightly used aftermarket HEI unit in the 39 that I bought at the swap meet. It is working fine so far.

Double the trouble ? Just what I need.... snicker . On the dual point I wonder if just one of the pertronics would work or would you need 2 [S people would look and like the older stuff though

But like Smallfoot I have a pertronics in an old distributor on my Model A truck purrs like a kitten and is probably why I thought a whole one would be better

I know some guys here don't speak very highly of HEI dizzies but I've got 2 of the cheapies from Speedway that really have been doing a good job. I laugh when the term "old school" is used....HEI is getting pretty "old school" now. Came out in 74. 44 years ago. :eek:
I'm hiding a Pertronics module in there and it gives me no trouble. Maybe the size is all that's wrong with it, although it takes up less space with a single unit than other ignitions using a dizzie and a separate coil. I know the size gets in the way of some of the fuel devices. I just like them because they are pretty simple and work well, which wins out over looks to me.

The only reason I bought a small cap distributor for my Model A build is space. If I planned on having room I would run an HEI.

The only reason I bought a small cap distributor for my Model A build is space. If I planned on having room I would run an HEI.

I also have a HEI , but it will not go down past the firewall with out a little "denting " and of course I am to challenged to figure out where the one wire goes ....I ordered a Pertronic to put in the stock distributor....like I did my A , believe it will look cleaner

Maybe my old age is creeping up on me...

I also have a HEI , but it will not go down past the firewall with out a little "denting " and of course I am to challenged to figure out where the one wire goes ....I ordered a Pertronic to put in the stock distributor....like I did my A , believe it will look cleaner

You said you put the dist wire (points/condenser wire) to the positive side of the coil? did you also put the + wire to the neg side of the coil? So basically swapped the wires... I'm not totally sure it would fry a coil but I guess it could... as for an HEI set up you usually have 12v to the + side of the coil on cap and the other is your Tac lead... if you have two wires from the dist then I'd guess you have an External coil.. so red to 12v and black to the neg side of coil and a also switched 12v to the + side of the coil... the dist housing is normally ground to the block... or am I missing something in the translation?

You said you put the dist wire (points/condenser wire) to the positive side of the coil? .......

Sgt , Yes .... I did so inadvertently in my usual state of inattentiveness and fried the one wire from the coil to the distributor ... nothing other than that wire looked to be out of sorts so I replaced it and the points / condenser and coil .... from that point on I had no spark to the plugs . the ground wire in the dist. was intact and had continuity and I had spark to the points.. It still baffles me but admit that I am still learning .

I have a Pertronic in A w/ 327 and it runs fine and when I went to buy another it was about 1/2 the price to buy a complete distributor so I succomed to the "cheapie" temptation and bought a Chinese knockoff that have NO CONFIDENCE in and could not get in time . So I ordered a Petronic for this build and will see how it goes and report back good or bad .....
Oldog

Sounds like a plan...

I think we've all done some crazy a$$ stuff at one time or another...lol... I put a fuel pressure regulator in my son's 97 Chevy 350.. the one that's under the intake... didn't check the fit of the hold down ring and it was not in properly.. buttoned it up and turned on the key then went to crank it... instant hydrolock from about 2 gallons of fuel in the cylinders... thank God it didn't fire or it would have burned to the ground along with my barn.... so we are brothers in mayhem... :D

sgtpontiacthank God it didn't fire or it would have burned to the ground along with my barn.... so we are brothers in mayhem... :D[/QUOTE said:
Got that right Sarge .. I bought a Per tronics installed it and it fired right up.. returned the Chinese junk for full refund ...And IF there was anything good about this experience when I order the Pertronics I was 2 cents over the number for free shipping ... god what we will add for FREE shipping ?

Latest posts

Back