Progress

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an adapter to mate the early hemi with a Chevy transmission.
If you have enough money, you can do about anything.
My problem is that I don't have the money.

Hot Heads $435.00
http://hothemiheads.com/transmission_adapters/adapter_chevy_auto.html

26000t.jpg

Getting a little more done.
I got the front timing cover and found out that the fan is going to be too low. I do have enough room between the fan and the radiator though. That was my main concern there. I ordered a Zips riser and it should be here today. Water pump came in yesterday.
I also ordered the transmission adapter. I got all the guts for it but the actual adapter ring was back ordered. Should be here soon.
I found a guy that will rebuild the transmission and he said that he has a stripped transmission that I can use for mockup. That will be nice.
I did drop the motor down a bit and I think it looks better. Might give me a little more floor clearance around the transmission hump.
I would like to get the headers but they are $pendy. I am planning on lakes style headers. The ones I am looking at are about $750. Nobody seems to have a used set for sale.
I found a middle row seat out of a 96 Chrysler town and country that fits perfectly. It has the flip down child seats, but I don't really need them.
Working on brake pedal position and various crossmember location issues.

Got the heads back from the machine shop and got them painted and the valves springs installed.

Getting the block put together. Got the crankshaft and pistons installed. I need to order a bunch of parts before I can do much more.
I need to get busy getting ready for deer season starting next weekend.

Back to working on the body. Trying to get the doors to line up right.
Anything I do to the drivers side messes up the passenger side and vice versa.
I think I am getting it figured out.
Should have some cash soon to get some more parts for the engine.
I found a 700r4 transmission that has 2500 miles since a rebuild. Was in a motorhome with a 454 so it should handle the hotrod.

Well, you folks are overdue for an update.
I've been doing body work lately. I got patch panels for the bottom of the cowl and doors as well as cab corners. I got the doors and cowl done and in primer but I had to pull the cowl off the frame to remove the cowl trim band. I need to paint under the new band before I install the band and I can't access the bolts that hold the band on if it is on the frame.
The bottom of the back of the cab is gone so I don't have a body line to follow until I get the doors back on.
Still a long case of having to do this before I can do that.
I got the crank and pistons in the block and I am waiting for the rest of the gaskets, lifters, push rods and such to finish getting the engine together.
I decided that I kinda like doing body work. I ran out of gas for my mig welder so that forced me to have to try out my new tig welder. I decided that I really suck at tig welding. Looks pretty easy on the YouTube videos. After muddling my way through the patch panels, I watched a video on the 10 most common problems with tig welding. I have all the mistakes down solid. I am getting pretty good at sharpening the tig electrode because I can't keep it out of the weld puddle.
I'm getting pretty good at the bondo work. Overall condition of the cab is way better than my original plan. Gonna make for a lot more work in the long run because now I have to do more work on the box to get it to match the cab. Maybe I can cheat and beat up the cab after I get it painted to make it look like the box instead of making the box look like the cab.

I can certainly relate to your last sentiment, dad, I started out thinking the same on my '36 truck. After many hours of making it a bit better I decided to go a few more and make it pretty good. It wasn't in me to leave the truck really rough. I'm really glad I did it that way and I hope you will be too.

I'll work on pictures.
It o overall looks worse now than it did a month ago. I have the cab and doors off and the whole garage is covered in bondo dust.

414217100.jpg

Got rid of some paint cans yesterday. I thought it turned out pretty good.
Got one door painted, one door reprimered, cowl and dashboard painted.
I went with satin black for the body and semigloss black for the dash.

Latest posts

Back