'68 Chev C50 Rat Hauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullet

I'm thinking this maybe my next build, $500 cab & rolling frame, no engine or tranny.
Just not sure what I can do with the big cab on a 5T frame, other than make a hauler.
Cab corners and floor are good, patina is wicked, leave it alone.
Going to be a little tough getting close enough to pull it out of the quagmire.

741791a_20.jpeg

My 53 GMC was buried like this. I used my tractor to lift it up then set cinder blocks under the tires. Then I hooked my 4x4 to front and pushed it from behind with the tractor. I was able to tow it about 3 miles to my house via a county road afterwards. This all took 3 men to accomplish. Good luck and that will make a really nice project.

I always thought it would be cool to take one of those massive cabs and build a custom frame so that it laid out.. and get a bed of the similar 1/2 ton.. well it would take a few beds.. and stretch and piece them together and make a huge pick up... but maybe im just odd

Those rims being sunk in the mud like that are probably rotten...

I thought it would be cool to put one on a 4X4 chassis with huge tires. It wouldn't need any lift kits.

OK so I photoshopped this concept of what I'd do with the C50 on a long frame will a hydraulic ramp deck.
And when I went to look at this rig I found it does have all the running gear, bonus, just hasn't run in years. Will look however into a turbo diesel for it. Oh and it's a '67 not a '68.
This will be my retirement project, which by the way starts soon.

67chevC50.jpg

Nice! I wouldn't go with that paint scheme, though. It kind of looks like a U-Haul cab.

Have you considered using a school bus for the donor frame and drivetrain? Most of them are turbo diesel with beefy Allison transmissions and can be had for cheap!

Good point about the paint, never really thought about it that way .......... school bus frame, hmmmm worth a thought, thanks.

Went to pick up the C50 today and I asked the old farmer if he had any old vehicles in the woods.
He said no but his older brother had a Model A he'd sell me.
He lives down the road first house on the left.
I go down the road find the Model A but no one home to talk to.
I'll go back.
Here's what I found.
Complete ( rad shell in shed ) 2dr. Model A, no through rust only surface.

ModelA1.jpg

ModelA2.jpg

Looks like a solid model A... good luck getting it...

I recently have heard of 2 sitting in a barn about 15 min from my house.. im going to try to get in to see them

Oh crap decision decisions.

1956 White Mustang 3000 $2500.
Single axle tractor with 102" wheel base on air, w/ sleeper unit, Fontaine fifth wheel, 5spd. w/ extra transmission, flathead 6 ( needs rebuild ), power tilt cab & sleeper.

I suppose I could pull a enclosed car trailer with forward living quarters.
Wife seems to think it'd be a better way to go for our retirement years.

1742j8n_20.jpeg

0400220_20.jpeg

96475ek_19.jpeg

1956_White_002.jpg

1956_White_006.jpg

1956_White_001.jpg

1956_White_010.jpg

Last edited:
That is cool. But you NEED the model A too, right? You could park the model A on the back of that. That would be real nice to have a sleeper, makes it a hard choice. Good luck.

1956_White_006.jpg

The sleeper is part of the extended cab.
I'm still going to try and grab that A.

Latest posts

Back